December 10th, 2008

Obama calls on Blagojevich to resign

Obama is now calling on Blagojevich to step down.
Obama is now calling on Blagojevich to step down.

(CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday joined calls for Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to resign.

"The president-elect agrees with [Illinois] Lt. Governor Quinn and many others that under the current circumstances it is difficult for the governor to effectively do his job and serve the people of Illinois," Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

On Tuesday Blagojevich was arrested on federal conspiracy charges. Prosecutors alleged in their complaint that Blagojevich pressured candidates to replace Obama in the Senate for campaign contributions and other benefits.

Gibbs said Obama also supported legislation that will be considered by Illinois lawmakers on Monday to authorize a special election to choose his successor.

Obama believes Illinois lawmakers should "put in place a process to select a new senator that will have the trust and confidence of the the people of Illinois," Gibbs said.

Full story

1. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Brian @ 2:29
    Who is more likely to outlaw free expression? A liberal or a conservative?
    You still want to talk about who's (not, whose) unpatriotic??
    You are an ungrateful and hateful fascist.

December 10, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Tyrone Brown

Note to politicians (esepcially Democrats) – Change has come and the bar has been raised. In this day of a new administration, a 24 hour news cycle, and the internet – you cannot continue to "play" games in American politics. As a Proud Obamacrat, I will not shed one tear for the demise of the Blagojevichs, Jeffersons and Spitzers of the world – these "fallen" public servants must go!

December 10, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. Mike P.

Wow! How dumb can a person be? This is stupidity in the highest form. I think it is time for the average person that has lost his or her job to all of this mismanagement of the public trust to run for office. What can it hurt? I'll bet that person will do better than what has been.

December 10, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. Fenarkleman

Blagojevich could be "quilty." I hear he loves to crochet. He'll have plenty of time to do that when he's in the Illinois slammer with Joliet Jake.

December 10, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. Abyssinian Lion

There is a new sherriff in town, and his name is Barack Hussein Obama!

December 10, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. Bill

I'm amused by the Obama hate in these comments. Obama did not "throw Blago under the bus" or anything ridiculous like that. Some people just can't seem to grasp that Obama is a decent person trying to bring ethics back into politics. It's sad to see all of the hate. After 8 years of Obama, though, the country will be much better off, even if the hate doesn't let up.

December 10, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  7. Republican

I can not believe some of my brethren are so childish as to start throwing stones at Obama, and/or the democrats.

Democrats are certainly capable of fraud and or ethics violations. But I, as a republican, sure as heck can't stand upon any moral ground based on the history of the past 16 years....that is to include all Presidents during that time and both parties!

Simply because Obama is from chicago and is a democrat, it's lunacy and immature to start this un-patriotic "connect him because I feel like a sore loser" mentality. Grow up you whining Republicans! You're making it difficult to be proud of my party!

December 10, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. Interesting

I find it mildly amusing and , at best , interesting that some here would would automatically apply an "X-Files" story as to why a Newly Elected President Obama would want to have a nutcase like Blago resign, in teh wake of OVERWHELMING taped evidence of corruption. Keep digging the hole people–then jump in, ok? Thanks!

December 10, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. oceanpath

The real question is should Obama be dismissing all advisors and staff that have any background training in this totally corrupt style of politics that Americans are just now learning is the norm, not the exception in Illinois?
    The question is no longer what he can do for America, but what these thugs can do to him and our traditions in government.

December 10, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  10. A Woman In California For Obama

While this is disgusting and Gov. Blagojevich should certainly be held accountable, I think Obama should stay out of it. He wanted the presidency, he left his seat in the senate for it-so let the people in Illinois make the decisions now and I'm sure when they have to they will.

December 10, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  11. sg

The Feds were investigating Blog since 2004. It's been widely known for a long time that Ill. politics is highly corrupt. Why wasn't Obama fighting the corruption years ago?? Can anyone answer that question??

December 10, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. Nate

Come one to say that all politicians are corrupt is ridiculous. Its like saying that all restaurant owners are corrupt because some are owned by the mob. As a college student who has worked for several politicians I know this to be false. think what you will, but the only reason its so prominent is because its a high profile job and the media is looking for a story and making money. The few politicians who commit high profile corruption crimes are a minority who are ruining it for those like me who want to get into government to make a difference. And they are ruining the peoples trust in our elected government. Have faith, there are many politicians working hard for you.

December 10, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. The World Is Watching

Note to Illinois:

Could you please behave yourself for 8 years? After that, have at it. But don't send a favorite son to Washington D.C. and then go postal. Mind your manners for the country's sake.

From the rest of us.

December 10, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. bigger brain

In relation to 'brain' last comment. They were taping him because bribery and solicitation of monies for political gain is a federal offense, hence the FBI were a liitle interested in this. This guy had a habit of offering political favours for money. This was'nt his first time by all accounts. They should throw the book at him. It's public service not self service.

December 10, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Joe the Builder

Interesting!

December 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. 801BMF

These right wing bloggers will try anythng to smear our new president's name, but they won't succeed. They fail to realize that when Barack Obama was the State and U.S. senator for Illinois, he fought corruption. So trying to connect the dots and find some lame excuse to attach President-elect Obama's name to this crime is ridiculous and desperate on their part. Give up GOP. Your days are up.

December 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  17. Martin

Such a shame.... Everyone else is going to jail for little things, this is really big.. Make him pay the MAXIMUM jail time... So sad he'd want to profit from Obama!

December 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. John Kerry

Obama spoke with the Gov. of IL before he didn't. There is nothing to see here......move on.

December 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. Wendy, OR

@Selina

Barack got his seat in Congress the old fashion way–his supporters voted him in. Grow up.

December 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. jfs Memhis, Tn

The FBI said that this does not involve the President -Elect in ANY fashion. In fact, the GOV dislikes and resents Obama. You Obama haters need to get a clue......this does not involve the President-Elect. Believe me if it "DID" the FBI (a very CONSEVATIVE GROUP) would be more than happy to bring any connections to the surface.

December 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  21. Damon

What do Obama have to do with the shady dealings of this governor? He have alot to say when the seat that this criminal was trying to sell was the Senate seat he just left. You Obama haters kill me. The man is president and will be in office as on 01/20/09 so deal with it.

December 10, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  22. marc you are dump

marc: you ar a idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, EVEN THE JUSTIC DEPARTMENT MADE IT CLEAR. WAKE UP AND PRAY FOR OUR COUNTRY. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOU GUT

LETS NOT BE DUM PEOPLE. OBAMA BIDEN NEED OUR PRAYS TO RUN THIS COUNTY

December 10, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  23. Greg from ATL

I don't know Jesse Jackson Jr. well and I am not from Chicago but I have to ask, If I am already a congressman, and someone did present to me a, "Pay for Play" proposition......why would I? I am already in the house. I could run for the seat without paying for it. Maybe I'm not corrupt enough to see the logic in it. Besides being stupid, risking my political career, it's just dumb because he already has a house on the Hill...........why pay for another one?

December 10, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  24. Eileen

Obama is such a hypocrit. He should resign too. We don't want Chicago politics running this country. Obama is a crook and a liar. Obama is the fruit of the political machine in Chicago. This country will never survive his presidency. He is not even in the White House and he is involved in a scandal AGAIN. Everyone that bought into his BS and voted for him are complete morons.

December 10, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  25. TexasAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Personally I think Blagojevich should resign based on what I read in the indictment papers– and yes, I read all 79 pages.

BUT, I find it interesting that everybody said let Sen. Ted Stevens go thru the judicial process before declaring him guilty. And there have been other instances where the public has said "innocent until proven guilty" when dealing with other political mis-steps.... but for some reason we all seem to want Blagojevich's head right here & now. What is different here???

December 10, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |