December 10th, 2008

Obama calls on Blagojevich to resign

Obama is now calling on Blagojevich to step down.
Obama is now calling on Blagojevich to step down.

(CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday joined calls for Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to resign.

"The president-elect agrees with [Illinois] Lt. Governor Quinn and many others that under the current circumstances it is difficult for the governor to effectively do his job and serve the people of Illinois," Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

On Tuesday Blagojevich was arrested on federal conspiracy charges. Prosecutors alleged in their complaint that Blagojevich pressured candidates to replace Obama in the Senate for campaign contributions and other benefits.

Gibbs said Obama also supported legislation that will be considered by Illinois lawmakers on Monday to authorize a special election to choose his successor.

Obama believes Illinois lawmakers should "put in place a process to select a new senator that will have the trust and confidence of the the people of Illinois," Gibbs said.

Full story

1. Mike - Missouri

Great. Get rid of him now. I hope the President Elect and the FBI Clean up this so call dirty politics. Palin should be next!!!

December 10, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Abe Froman - Chicago

To my fellow Illinois residents – we only have us to blame. We voted Blagojevich back into office, even with all the alleged pay to play scandals.

That should of been our red flag, sometime not all the time, but sometimes, where there is smoke, there is fire.

December 10, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. John Galt in Colorado

Isn't this going to be so much fun....Watching Obama try to distance himself from yet another scumbag which helped to get him elected.

WHO IS JOHN GALT?

December 10, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Ash

Good! How could anyone expect him to lead the state, knowing he had been arrested for these charges? They are not going to arrest him without evidence! Government officials need to be held to high standards since they are our leaders and if they cannot stay within the laws themselves, then they should be taken from their roles. I am glad that Obama is trying to hold our government to the highest standards! Thank you!

December 10, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. Victor

I sure hope PE Obama will not be held responsible for a husband caught cheating on his wife in Illinois and USA at large!!!. Even if a baby cries in the US today, the media will try to create a story to suggest it might hurt Barrack Obama. Common this is madness. Let's stop it.

December 10, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  6. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Not only should he step down, he should step into a nice orange jumpsuit. He is crooked as a dog's hind leg and should spend a good long time in the worst part of Federal prison.

December 10, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  7. Once you vote Black

Funny how the GOP tries to blame Obama for what the Gov did while at the same time preaching personal responsibility. My thinks the GOP complains too much, and to there own down fall. Just like the boy who stuck his finger in the dike when they have a legitimate case they will be seen as dishonest brokers. They should wait until Big Daddy O really does something wrong. Otherwise they risk keeping him on his toes and then never getting the chance to pounce. Keep you power dry GOP. Wait until you see the whites in his eyes.

December 10, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Rochelle

I agree with President-Elect Obama. This slug should resign ASAP! He is a discredit to his race (Serbian), Chicago, the Democrats and America.

I don't understand how he thought that he could get away with this mess. This is a sick person. How in the world can one sell a Senate seat? What's wrong with this picture? ROD GET A GRIP! WELL, THEY'VE GOT A GRIP ON YOU NOW!

December 10, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. Lance Coardill

Good job, Obama. The prospect of seeing Blugo in an orange jumpsuit without the ever present pompador is something about which I am very excited.

December 10, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Selina

how do think barack got his senate seat??!!

December 10, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  11. Frank

Another sure sign that Obama is a follower, not a leader. He needed to first calculate the political blowback before he made a decision on what he should think. I guess it's getting a little warm under the collar for Obama.

December 10, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  12. Mike (illinois resident)

I'll do the governors job after he steps down and goes to prison for the rest of his life (I hope). I have allot more going for me. At least I'm honest and will not screw the illinois tax payers out of their hard earned money. I would work for the benefit of the people and not expect the people to work for my benefits. I believe change is needed not only on capital hill, but the state capitals all 50 as well. I commend the FBI for working for the people of illinois and would like to thank them very much.

Thanks for your time.

December 10, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. E B

Well, I am shocked but not suprised that these type of dealings exist. Obama is right to distance himself from those types of dealings.

December 10, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Juan G. Hernandez

Why the surprise people? Blagojevich is just another very typical democrat lying & cheating to put themselves ahead of the Country at all cost. No honor or integrity....This should actually be an entertaining four years ahead of us as we can count on much more of this type of behavior to come now that we have B.O. in the house.

December 10, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. obama-mama

Ed Stack – You can only hope.....

December 10, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  16. Oh Please!

Another Obama friend throuwn under the bus for the sake of saving his own keester. Change we can believe in? I don't think so!. I didn't buy when I went to the polls on Nov. 4th and I'm not buying it now. By the way, I wonder how much Hillary's seat is going for in NY?

December 10, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Clean house, Mr. President elect, no matter who side they are on.

December 10, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. Alan Green

I voted for Mr. Obama, I find it difficult to believe that such an outspoken advocate of ethics and morality did not personally comment about the Illinois situation and a mid-level Obama spokesman did. Could historical Illinois political corruption have influenced his reluctance to personally comment?

December 10, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  19. Dan

Gotta love that idiots like Don will turn this into an attempt to smear Obama.

Get real, grow up.

December 10, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  20. Bhupendra

Mr Newly elected "To-Be" President – Let the lawmakers decide. YOu are not a president (jan20) not a senator. So just keep quite. This is one of you chicago ploitics friend. YOu can not wash hands from scandal. God know how many more is on way when your army of corrup people run over the white house. This is what I and 48 millions afraid of. Your team and friend circle are exposed.

December 10, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  21. Eyes

Blagojevich's combination of stupidity and corruption has blasted him right out of his position as governor. And he has no one to blame but himself.

December 10, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Proud American

Excellent call Mr. Obama!
    Small move, big step towards the change we need!

Thank you Sir.

December 10, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. Bob

Greg: There are some jobs that you need to have confidence of the peolpe you server. Even if Gov. Rod is innocent, he has lost that confidence and needs to resign.

December 10, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  24. Winter

Obama seems to be in the mindset of yesteryear: "T'row da bums out!" Good for him! Nice to see quick, decisive action instead of endless consultation with "experts" for a change. Looking forward to 8 (yes, eight) more years of this.

December 10, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  25. Frank

Godluvr

It wasn't rove who outed Plame, it was the democratic favorite Anthony Zinni. But you wouldn't know that because once your media found out it was Zinni and not Rove, they lost interest. But nice try.

And the media has been against Bush from day 1, there is no Republican Media, only the liberal media.

December 10, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |