December 12th, 2008

Dingell blames 'some Southern senators' for auto bailout defeat

Dingell has served in Congress for more than five decades.
Dingell has served in Congress for more than five decades.

(CNN) - Michigan Rep. John Dingell blasted “some Southern Senators” Friday for the failure of the auto bailout plan.

“Last night, some Southern Senators kicked American workers in the gut,” Dingell said in a statement released by his office. “Let’s be clear about what happened in the Senate: Senators from states where the international automakers do considerable business unpatriotically blocked a bill that was supported by the White House, that passed the House with a bipartisan majority, and that had the support of 52 Senators.”

Dingell said that Republican critics of the proposal could have had “many reasons for blocking this bill and thwarting the will of a majority of Congress,” although he said they had not allowed their objections over pay and benefit provisions “to be resolved in the proper tradition.”

But, he added, “It could also be that a block of southern Senators saw an opportunity for their states to benefit from the losses of those of us in all parts of the country.

"Perhaps they wanted to crush a long time political rival – the United Auto Workers – without any concern about the considerable damage done to the nation’s economy and the millions of American workers who would be without work. That they would take any or all of these positions is troubling, but that they would do so during the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression literally shocks the conscience."

Dingell and Michigan representatives of both parties sent a letter Friday to President Bush, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke calling on them to use existing bailout funds to aid the struggling auto industry.

Filed under: Auto Bailout
  1. sandee in Portland

@boered1.......excellent comment and right on the money

@ charlies nj......I beg to disagree with you on Toyota, Honda, etc making better cars with better resale value. I've driven a Chevy Corvette (now on my 7th one) since 1972 and they hold their value much better than any foreign made car.

December 12, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  2. Bruce

If the UAW could figure out that they can save their jobs and their companies by making concessions, this would all be a moot point. Chapter 11 bankruptcy is meant for just this situation. As a taxpayer, i do not want to pour money into a black hole of mis-management, part of which is enabling the greed and excess of union demands. It has to end and if the UAW ants to cut off their nose to spite their face, so be it. No bailout!

December 12, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  3. Chris in Va.

Interesting.......$700,000,000,000 for the fat cats on Wall Street and $0 for the jobs of Americans who actually work for a living.

We certainly see where the loyalties lay.

Money talks and jobs walk.......

December 12, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  4. Lisa

Where was the bailout for textiles in the South. I guess Dingell's chickens have come home to roost.

Oh also if you want a $14 Billion bailout to save jobs. I could give a $100000 loan to 140000 Small Businesses and save just as many if not more jobs.
    The biggest lie is the loss of 3 million jobs. At most it would be 200000 short term with a longtime very solvent company not a bandaid on a cut artery with a patient on life support.

December 12, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  5. Kip D. Fisher

Typical politics.....when things dont go your way, you accuse your opponets of being "unpatriotic". Well you know what Rep. Dingell, I'm against the auto makers bailout, and I dare you to call me unpatriotic. Oh, and I'm from the south as well. Have these people ever heard of something called bankruptcy? Ford, Chrysler, and GM could declare bankruptcy and still continue operating. The only thing is that they would have to downsize, and maybe lay some people off.

I worked for a company that had to declare bankruptcy less than a year after I got hired. I continued working there for more than 2 years before getting layed off. Laying people off was something that management when to great lengths to avoid, but in the end were unable to do. It hurt me financially to lose my job, as it did the others, but now that company is out of bankruptcy and once again profitable. It took several years and a lot of fat cutting, but it worked. What I'm saying is that this bailout is a band aid on a gunshot wound. It's nothing but a short term fix, and we need a long term fix.

Oh and a few monthes ago my dad went to buy a new Ford truck, he picked out what he wanted and worked out an agreement with the dealership, but on the day he was supposed to pick his truck up, they called and said they needed another $600. My dad balked at that, and he was told that without $600 the deal was off, so dad told them to stick it. If Ford is willing to loose $45,000 over a matter of $600, then go crying to Washington, then screw them. They dont deserve free money when people are willing to buy a car and they refuse to sell them.

December 12, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  6. Ricky

This isnt a handout...it is a loan. They are required to pay it back. seems like you people dont watch the news much.

The financial industry was a handout. Also people want to think that we should let all of these companies fail but they dont realize that if the auto and financial industries would have failed, this country would be in a decade long depression. Do you really want that? It's a dominoe effect and you would be effected.

I support this Auto Loan, especially if it stops a 2+ million job loss.

December 15, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |