December 12th, 2008

Early Blair House check-in for Obamas unavailable

The Obamas had been hoping for an early Blair House check-in.
The Obamas had been hoping for an early Blair House check-in.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama will not be moving his family across the street from the White House early, despite his request to do so. Blair House, which incoming presidents traditionally occupy 5 days before inauguration day on January 15, is apparently booked in the early part of January.

An Obama transition spokesperson says the family initially "explored the idea" of moving into Blair House early so that daughters Sasha and Malia could start school on schedule. But the family was told there were previously-scheduled events and guests that could not be displaced.

"The Blair House, the President's guest house for visiting dignitaries, is available to President-elect Obama and his family starting January 15, as is historically the case," said Sally McDonough, spokeswoman for First Lady Laura Bush.

"As for any conversation, I don't comment on specific conversations about transition details."

The Obama transition spokesperson emphasized the White House has been "extremely accommodating" to the Obama family, adding that the entire process has been "smooth and friendly."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,230 Responses)
  1. eric

Minneapplehead needs a psychological examination. For all of us on this website can you please please give one example of Sarah Palin being racist. Also I am guessing you are another angry liberal and based on the kid comment I am guessing you have none(and if you do I feel bad for them). You really need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. noneofconsequence

Um..Obama tries to make reservation at conveniently locate famous hotel. Its all booked up until the 15th. Oh well, no vacany..

Um what is the news story now?

December 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  3. Anonymous

WHO CARES... WHY IS THIS NEWS

December 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  4. Tony

As much as I can't wait to see Obama in the Oval office, and say goodbye and good ridance to Bush; this really isn't news people. If its tradition for the new first family to move into the guest house 5 days prior to inaguration and they booked the house up until that time with other engagements I don't see why this is such a big deal.

I think you guys are making this out to be way more than it is. The conversation probably went like this. Obama: "We want to try to get the girls started in school on schedule, is the house available to move into early?" Bush: "Sorry, but we just can't, we've got this, this, and this already booked." Obama: "Ok, thanks."

You listen to CNN and you would think the Bush family cursed him out for everything he was worth and then told him no not even if it was empty.

I think there are better things to consume our time talking about. This is so low on the list of priorities that I almost feel silly for leaving a comment.

December 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  5. Abyssinian Lion

@Dumb White Guy December 12th, 2008 2:09 pm ET .

Thank you! LOL! Too funny but sadly true.

December 12, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. Hyacinth

Of course the girls can still start school on time. They will be in a private school so someone just has to transport them there. Wow, talk about turning molehills into mountains, some of you posters surely have!

December 12, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. MSM

Who can we hate after Bush leaves office?

December 12, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. shahid

How dare they deny the Almighty's request? They will be burnt in hell. Our nation is so blessed that millions of failthful worshippers will stand in the cold to witness the Second Coming.

If OB tells them all jump off the cliff, they will...

December 12, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  9. Pat Omaha, NE

Get a grip!! If the Blair House is booked (?) move on!!
    I'm sure there are other places they can stay for a few weeks until they can do what all other presidents-elect do. I strongly believe that if this is the worst thing that happens to them, they'll deal with it!! I would imagine that both Barack and Michelle have had MUSH harder situations with which to deal!!!
    God bless them for wanting a smoother transition for the girls...but with the obvious love and concern shown to them by their parents, I'm sure they will be just fine!
    Why is this even news???!!!

December 12, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  10. Tenn Man

Wow ignorance abounds

December 12, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. bill, Detroit MI

I've always found it easier to comment on the title of an article than to read the article and find out that there was nothing worth commenting on to begin with. Apparently, at least half the commentators here practice my methodology – I feel vindicated.

December 12, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. susie

Obama could use some of his campaign money and rent a hotel room. What makes him so special, that everyone should bow down to his wishes?

December 12, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  13. David

CNN. Please create separate blogs for the republicans and democrats who do nothing but argue and one for the civil minded people who can actually talk about opposing differences without getting mad. I see so many on hear talk about getting along yet they use hateful speach as they preach it. Amazing. I am starting to think our country is beyond the brink of saving.

December 12, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  14. renee

I wish Obama could move into THE WHITE HOUSE YESTERDAY AND MOVE BUSH TO TEXAS!!!!!!

December 12, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  15. obama-mama

DCM IL – I wish you weren't in this country.

December 12, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  16. Arizona Ken

Wow. It's pretty easy to see the left leaning bias of CNN viewers/readers. The angry left lives on.

December 12, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  17. The lack of education here

1) Many did not read the article. Obama wanted to move in a little earlier than originially scheduled for his kids. He could not because it's already booked.

HE IS STILL THERE ON THE 15th for five days prior to the inauguration.

Many of you commented that he was denied the entire time. Learn to read before you sound like a 2 year old.

2) The republican party bashers are sinking to newer lows. Please learn to excite your bitter life in other ways. Also, learn the difference between a neo-conservative and a fiscal conservative and what Ron Paul stands for...

3) Many of you wrote how courageous the Obama family is...

who are you kidding? I am happy for their success both as a family and as individuals, but your comments about their courage is racist at the core and YOU know it.

4) The commenters calling Obama guilty already with his old Senate seat and the governor.

JUST STOP! If he's guilty, something will come out. Last I checked, the Governor of Illinois had a 4% approval rating BEFORE this happened. He makes Bush look like George Washington....

December 12, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  18. David

This is probably being blown out on context. The Obamas probably politely asked if it was available to move in early. Since it wasn't, then they can make other accomodations to get their kids in school on time. I'm sure President (elect) Obama isn't making this that big a deal.

December 12, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  19. jt

You gave me an inch, now I want a mile.

December 12, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  20. Mel IN

Why should the Obama's be different than any other president? They should not be treated special, if this is tradition than that is it. No questions but I see how the liberals like to turn it around like always and blame others that are honest and have facts, not just beleiving things they hear! Do some research people, oh I forgot seems like you are too lazy to do that!!

December 12, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  21. Marcus Allen

This is NOT news.
    Is every "whim" of Obama going to be reported for the next 4 years? Maybe next we'll hear how Obama wanted to buy a bottle of wine at 1am but the store could not sell it at that hour? Give me a break, CNN.

December 12, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  22. citizen

CNN i am your daily reader.why on earth do you always always refuse to post my comments,i am frustrated.Enough is enough,otherwise you lose people

December 12, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. Lee W. in Raleigh, NC

Unbelievable, the comments here. The article spells out that the President Elect will have access to Blair House on January 15 as is tradition and that he requested it earlier, but it isn't available. Obama has not complained. The article simply spells out the facts, yet partisans on both sides misread it and make hostile comments according to whatever works for their "side." There are no bad guys and good guys in this story. Come on people - we need to unite in this country at such critical times.

December 12, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  24. Joe the Troll

"It's stated at least twice that he's getting the same accomodations as all previous Presidents-elect, and it was Obama who is asking for special consideration. That's on par with his repeated actions as an elitist, despite his attempts to make people think he's one of us. Don't worry though, I'm sure his mother-in-law will be moving into the Blair House on Jan 21st."

I don't care when he moves in, but let's be real about this elitism garbage. All Obama did was ASK. I don't see him crying foul because the answer is "no." What's the big deal about asking? In fact, what is the point of this article besides giving the Obama haters something else to whine about?

December 12, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  25. shahid

If I were Obama, I'd have my whole family sleep on the street – that'd create the biggest sensational headline ever, just like Jesus Christ was born in the humble manger... because this nation is so obsessed with drama like this. It can be the biggest excuse for the media and OB worshippers to blame the Bush Administration.

December 12, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |