December 12th, 2008

Early Blair House check-in for Obamas unavailable

The Obamas had been hoping for an early Blair House check-in.
The Obamas had been hoping for an early Blair House check-in.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama will not be moving his family across the street from the White House early, despite his request to do so. Blair House, which incoming presidents traditionally occupy 5 days before inauguration day on January 15, is apparently booked in the early part of January.

An Obama transition spokesperson says the family initially "explored the idea" of moving into Blair House early so that daughters Sasha and Malia could start school on schedule. But the family was told there were previously-scheduled events and guests that could not be displaced.

"The Blair House, the President's guest house for visiting dignitaries, is available to President-elect Obama and his family starting January 15, as is historically the case," said Sally McDonough, spokeswoman for First Lady Laura Bush.

"As for any conversation, I don't comment on specific conversations about transition details."

The Obama transition spokesperson emphasized the White House has been "extremely accommodating" to the Obama family, adding that the entire process has been "smooth and friendly."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,230 Responses)
  1. KP

I LOL'd when I read Dr.T's comment! You have got to be joking!

"So this is the worst of Bush we could see before he leaves office, treat the next President of the country with such humiliation.
    Good lord! This is ridiculous." -Dr.T

December 12, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. KnuckleHead

I can't believe this even made the news. Is there really so little going on in the world?

December 12, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. bababear

I agree that most of you didn't seem to really read the article. And this is also a good example of those want to continue to despise – whatever side – will continue to do so regardless of the unimportance of the stimulus. And you who asked where did the solidarity go from 9/11 – did you listen to the spite in the last campaign? You cannot be incited to be pitted against each other so forcefully for so long – without expecting fallout. Hatrid did become the theme after all. To all you "Real Americans" from someone whom you would not consider a real American – it is time to pay attention to the real issues before this country sinks to 3rd world status. We are not at the top of anything we in which weused to pride ourselves, as what made America great. Manufacturing, education, health care, freedom, freedom of religion, individual freedoms, justice, fairness, anti agression. We routinely do things that we used to condemn the USSR for doing – we need to stop it and come back to what we used to believe or the terrorists dont have to attack again – they will have already won.

December 12, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. JIM

Its obvious the POTUS is having guest over from Jan 1-14th so he can soak up the last little bit of the White House he can, because com Jan 20th @ 12pm, the 44th President will be hosting guest. Nevertheless, though I might have disagreed with the President on some things, I pray your post-Presidency activities are better.

December 12, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. dan

The Obamas are the kings of the world, give these wonderful, perfect, smart, good looking people what every they what. Please give our king s the accomadations they deserve.

December 12, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. Dean

No Problem just have George W and Laura move out a little a few weeks sooner its not like he is doing anything constructive anyway

December 12, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  7. smart black lady

get over it dumb white guy she ran she lost and the reason she lost was becuse of the thing she has done wrong we are to msarth to let her do any more things wrong.

December 12, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. Megan

A) This isn't news.
    B) When you criticize someone, make sure you're right first: (from Anonymous to "bertha doucet" at 2:02 pm)
    "Oh, a quick grammer lesson – "Obama" is not plural, but "changes" is." Last time I checked, grammar didn't have an "e" in it.

December 12, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  9. Michael in Houston

Folks....lets not get caught up in this silliness of the Blair House and move in day etc etc.
    The main thing to keep in our focus is that soon, VERY soon, the worst and most miserable failure of a President in the history of America will be LEAVING and what could potentially be one of the finest men ever to lead is moving in.
    Its a double victory for the country. Bush leaving is a victory and Obama coming is a victory.

December 12, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. KP

I wish Barack Obama would move back to KENYA! Where here is from!

"I wish Obama could move into THE WHITE HOUSE YESTERDAY AND MOVE BUSH TO TEXAS!!!!!!" -renee

December 12, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. Anonymous

I just wonder what Foreign Heads of State Bush is pandering to so close to the Inaguration. And how many. Especially since the place has 14 bedrooms.

December 12, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. The Fatsingaporean

Does your president-elect Obama has any plan to paint the White House black when he moves in?

December 12, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  13. Penny

I don't know why I put myself though this – I guess I just need a laugh during my lunch break. It was a request that could not be fulfilled. It's obviously not a big deal to PE Obama and Mrs. Obama. They just thought this would be convenient. I'm sure they have other plans if this did not workout. I don't believe they were asking for special favors. Get a grip – people.

December 12, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. To all the simple bitter people...

An occasional typo is acceptable, but really- does anyone else find it kind of sad that the strongest opinions on this site are coming from the most uninformed people (who coincidentally can't spell?) News flash to Obama detractors like miss bertha and her ilk: it is not presumpt-u-o-u-s for a president-elect to act presidential you cute mentally challenged people you. And furthermore, for those that like to call him arrogant- are you even aware of the connotation that you are suggesting, or is your ignorance so pure and whole that you don't even realize that either? This is officially the golden age of the stupid. Rejoice- no education needed any longer- just power in numbers. Hooray!!!

December 12, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  15. Anonymous

I just wonder what Foreign Heads of State Bush is pandering to so close to the Inaguration, and how many, especially since the place has 14 bedrooms.

December 12, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. CT Reader

The fact that the Obama are making the request so that their daughters can start the school semester on time speaks volumes about their values. I'm proud that we have elected a president who places such a high priority on education. There's nothing elitist about a father who wants his kids to do well in school.

December 12, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. NYC REPUB

There is no harm in reporting this. Just some light news for those that are intrigued by the Obama clan. CNN was not trying to make a stink out of it. In my 29 years on earth, (ok about 17 of them being cognitively interested in politics) I have never seen such an unpopular President/Administration. The only bright spot, is the lovely Laura Bush. Trully this administration has failed on many levels. Including Bush's recent denial of the authenticity of the Bible! Conservatives let this be a lesson to us all. I will personally stop voting for candidates just b/c they claim to be christian. I'm glad he lost my vote in '04! After misleading us to the Iraqi war. From now on I'm voting for the one who strikes me as smart, and really concerned about the people of this nation(all the people). If they are conservative that will just be the icing on the cake. So yeah I voted Obama in '08, and will do it again if he does a descent job.

December 12, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. Lana, NY

This is why other countries laugh at us. This is not news, people. No one is making a big deal over this other than CNN and other news organizations because they are hack journalists who are suffering from election withdrawal. The Obamas did NOTHING wrong. The Bushs did NOTHING wrong. There is other news out there, people. Real news! Shall we move on from this drivel and join the rest of the world in crisis?

December 12, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. Ken

I live near DC and my house is Open for president elect and family.........With both warm arms!!

December 12, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. Abyssinian Lion

Bin L.aden has the Blair House booked until the 15th.

December 12, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Stephen

Could you be more melodramatic, Donald?

December 12, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. Dumb Black Guy

There is still time to impeach Bush. Let's do it!

Obama shall RULE THE WORLD and all will kneel and kiss his BLACK feet!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

December 12, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  23. Chi Town

Oh how terrible for the poor Obama's... I hope they can recover from this terrible tragedy... oh the humanity... My heart goes out to those truely courageous people... Those poor children... I had hoped they would just move into Obama's DC Senator residence.

December 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. CT Indy

It is obvious by some of these comments that READING has really gone by the wayside in our education system. The arcticle states that the Blair House is booked BEFORE January 15th (the traditional dates for the President Elect to come to DC prior to moving into the Whitehouse). The Obama's asked to arrive BEFORE January 15th but it is already booked. He is not being denied the traditional move in date. Read the article before becoming outraged at a non-issue.

They are not the first family yet or POTUS. Soon enough they will be and when that time comes then they can call the shots.

I can't see how this would affect the kids schooling. They are the soon to be president's children. Do you honestly think the school won't work around this?

December 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. Alyce

Much to do about nothing, I'll bet the guest that are booked would happily give it for the in-coming First Family. It really isn't news worhty, the Obama will make it awork. Tha's how people of color DO "we make it work"

December 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |