December 12th, 2008

Early Blair House check-in for Obamas unavailable

The Obamas had been hoping for an early Blair House check-in.
The Obamas had been hoping for an early Blair House check-in.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama will not be moving his family across the street from the White House early, despite his request to do so. Blair House, which incoming presidents traditionally occupy 5 days before inauguration day on January 15, is apparently booked in the early part of January.

An Obama transition spokesperson says the family initially "explored the idea" of moving into Blair House early so that daughters Sasha and Malia could start school on schedule. But the family was told there were previously-scheduled events and guests that could not be displaced.

"The Blair House, the President's guest house for visiting dignitaries, is available to President-elect Obama and his family starting January 15, as is historically the case," said Sally McDonough, spokeswoman for First Lady Laura Bush.

"As for any conversation, I don't comment on specific conversations about transition details."

The Obama transition spokesperson emphasized the White House has been "extremely accommodating" to the Obama family, adding that the entire process has been "smooth and friendly."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,230 Responses)
  1. KRB

Say Jane Dyches, having a hard time swallowing the bitter pill? poor thing, you really are bitter. We have not had a President for 8 years, just a dunce posing as one. I'am sure he got your vote.

December 12, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. Alli

Just can't get rid of those Bushes. They are going to be there to the dire end. Can you imagine how difficult it would have been to remove him from office?

December 12, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. Chris

God Bless President Elect Obama! Time to clean up this mess you will be inheriting from the past 8 years!

December 12, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. Kay

The article is poorly written and could easily be misinterpreted to say the Blair house will not be ready 5 days before the Iinauguration. The matter is being blown way out of proportion.

December 12, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. Jeff

Some people are getting angry about him requesting to move into a house?

WHat was wrong with what he did? He asked ...they said no.

Thats it.

Whats the big deal?

December 12, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. TL

What a misleading headline
    This is why I now prefer viewing MSNBC

December 12, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. Doreen Augusta Maine

I am sure there are plenty of peope who would give their homes to the Obamas so that their children can start school on time. There are plenty of people who have homes in D.C. who don't use them all the time.

December 12, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Eric from NM

Written by Bob: "What does this idiot think he is God or King ??? Cant wait until they I M P E A C H him."

You're an idiot. Can't you read? He's trying to take care of his kids. School semesters start at the very beginning of January. If he waits until the 15th, they'll likely miss the first two weeks of school unless he picks up a different temporary residence.

December 12, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. SHAME

LOL. He asked to move in early, was denied...and guess what, he has moved on. For Rebekah and her ilk...just stop it already. Nothing to see here MOVE ON or continue with the...same...old...tired...rhetoric. Elitist, birth certificate, arrogant, yada yada yada. I used to get angry...now I just laugh with disgust. As I have said often. You (you know who you are) just CANNOT stand it can you? How dare THIS man be PE. :) I am so happy that CHANGE is on the way! :)

I love stopping by these articles to watch the action ~ I am sure CNN loves it to...those they keep these going. By the way, has anyone of us ever asked to move in early ~ renting or buying? I have and one of those occasions was to get my son in school on time!

December 12, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  10. lvginclp

Rebekah, one of the most right-wing websites, World Net Daily, POSTED Obama's birth certificate for your blind eyes to see. Yes, they verified it even after state officials in Hawaii verified it. Obama IS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. The Acorn issue was about voter fraud REGISTRATION, not actual voter fraud. If you actually read into what happened, you'll understand (hopefully) that it was the people who were soliciting signatures who committed the fraud by submitting fake names so they could get paid. I guarantee you, Rebekah, that Mickey Mouse and Joe Dimaggio did not turn up on election day to vote. Now, why don't you actually take a look into voter disenfranchisment committed by the republican scum that actually affected the 2000 and 2004 elections. Can you say Katherine Harris, Jeb Bush, and Ken Blackwell?

Your ignorance is astounding.

And to "bertha doucet": Of course Obama has been acting like he's POTUS already. Someone needs to! Oh, a quick grammer lesson – "Obama" is not plural, but "changes" is.

December 12, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. dave

Mack ,read the article that is if you can read.It is available after Jan 15 for your boy and his family. Get a life pal.

December 12, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. Tasha

Bob i think your acting like the idiot! Obama is great. get over that your candidate lost and except the fact that we won! if your a hard core republican then i can also blame you for these terrible past 8 years that have led this country to a wreck. GO OBAMA!!!! WE LOVE YOU!

December 12, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. David

I think the better story is congress rejected the vote on their pay raise. Therefore, they get an automatic raise this year as last year. The raise is $3,400 with a total salary of $158,103 per year. Someone complain about this. Why does Congress get to vote themselves a raise without a performance review? I sure wish I got a $3,400 raise. In tough times, my company is freezing pay.

December 12, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  14. Eric from NM

BOB WROTE: "What does this idiot think he is God or King ??? Cant wait until they I M P E A C H him."

REPONSE: "Wow, you clearly don't know anything about kids or how school systems work, do you? Schools almost always start a day or two after new years for their second semester. Clearly if he can't move his kids in until January 15th, they're going to basically miss the first two weeks of school. I can understand him not wanting that."

December 12, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Melissa

Why does that matter?

December 12, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  16. dave

Mack,get a life and read the article,that is if you can read.The Blair House is available for your boy and and all the in-laws on Jan 15. What else can you bash our president for.

December 12, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  17. Robin

Does anyone on this blog know how to construct a proper sentence?

I hope Obama calls for programs to promote literacy, since it is obviously a dying art.

The fact one person can't spell accommodate is appalling and frightening at the same time.

December 12, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. No incumbents 2010

Ralph and Michael you are both wrong. The worst failure for a president moved out of the Whitehouse in January of 1980. He is still by far the worst president this nation has ever known, fortunately he was followed by the best president this nation has ever known.

December 12, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. lvginclp

RE: Rebekah – "oh I'm sorry that I actually question things instead of blindly accepting them….I'm sorry I actually read, research and think for myself instead of being spoon fed by the media."

If you actually did read and research for yourself, you'd know Obama's birth certificate is legit and the Acorn thing was a non-issue.

Good grief.

December 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  20. Ceasar

ALL HAIL OBAMA

December 12, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  21. The right guy ..Till 2016

Rebekah said :

Yeah right , we all know who your " think for my self " is and it's Rush Limbaugh so yeah if you better take your info from a big fate red neck drug addict, it's your choice, the choice of stupidity.

December 12, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. No incumbents 2010

Stephanie I believe they just cancelled a non-essential.

December 12, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. Robin

CH...

Our problems may have started back in 1963, when the JFK backed a coup against the government of Iraq. You know who was placed in power after that coup? The Baath Party.

December 12, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. Sandy

Obama fans – READ the article. Historically, the President-to-be has not been granted use of Blair House until on or after January 15th. Why should President Bush make an exception for the former junior senator from Illinois? Sorry if you think Obama is entitled when he hasn't even been sworn in as POTUS yet, but he needs to wait his turn, just like everyone else.

December 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  25. matt

Forgive me for correcting someone again, i'm am quite tired of it, but with regards to Arc's post it isn't an illegal occupation. The United Nations has sanctioned the occupation. The war itself occurred without UN approval but the aftermath, the occupation, is legal. Further, the house isn't used for 'parties' its a guest house-the Presidents Guest House-one of the perks that go with the office. President Bush has invited someone to come stay at the house...end of story. He's almost out of office...key word almost...but until his term expires he is rightly entitled to use his guest house as he pleases. Mr. Obama's team has itself said the cooperation between the White House and the President elect is excellent. There are plenty of issues to criticize the Bush Administration on there is no need to make things up...to do so only belittles legitimate criticism.

December 12, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |