December 15th, 2008

Obamas, Bidens to arrive in Washington by train

Preparations are underway for the 2009 Presidential Inauguration.
Preparations are underway for the 2009 Presidential Inauguration.

(CNN) – The 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee announced Monday that President-elect Barack Obama will travel by train to the nation’s capitol on January 17 from Philadelphia, but will stop along the way to host events in Baltimore, Maryland and Wilmington, Delaware – home of Vice President-elect Joe Biden.  The Obama and Biden families will arrive in D.C. on Saturday.

"As part of the most open and accessible Inauguration in history, we hope to include as many Americans as possible who wish to participate, but can't be in Washington," said Emmett S. Beliveau, Executive Director of the 2009 Presidential Inaugural Committee. "These events will allow us to do that while honoring the rich history and tradition of previous inaugural journeys."

The cities of Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore are especially significant as part of the 2009 Inauguration theme, ‘Renewing America’s Promise.”  According to the committee, the promise was realized in Philadelphia and defended and commemorated by the National Anthem in Baltimore. Washington, D.C serves as a gathering ground for Americans to unite and renew the promise, the committee said.

1. Charles

I don't know what is wrong with some of you people. You complain about Bush like every thing is his falt. If you stop and think about it and actualy look at the facts, very little of this crisis was bushes falt. It started in the private sector. The government has no; and should have no controle over it. The reason that we can lay alot of this countrys problems at the foot of Clinton is because IT TAKES THAT LONG FOR THESE THINGS TO TAKE EFFECT. Bush inhareted what would become a mess and Obama is inhareting a mess. The only question that i have is how is Obama planing on paying for all of his crazy social programs.

December 15, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Andy

Wow a victory lap, after he reads his acceptance speech, will there be an encore?

December 15, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. Jon

Scott NYC Independent said:
    "@Audrey – the fact is many of us never consider Bush a real president; the fact is he never once won the popular vote;"

In case you hadn't noticed, noobie, we don't use the popular vote to determine the winner. Why are we not a pure democracy?

"The best argument against democracy is
    a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    -Winston Churchill

Owned. Save some dignity by just standing corrected instead of replying with more rubbish. In case you can't see me, I'm showing you the bottom of my shoes now.

December 15, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. Rick Roberts

Okay, here is one from and old veteren. He will be our President and Commander and Chief. NOT our black President, not the other guy, BUT OUR PRESIDENT. The Civil War is over. The south lost. I know this because I read it in the history books. Can we move on already???? As a child I was taught to respect my elders and to respect our President. The funny thing is that the person who taught me was my Italian Immigrant Grandfather, who did become a U.S citizen. Let's look at Obama as our President and give him a chance to prove he is capable. If not, then let's vote him out in 4 years. Last I heard, Bush is white, and what has he done for us?? I really am so tired of even the media talking about our PE's color. Kennedy was the first Catholic President and I performed for him with the Navy Band but respected him because he was our President. Let's all get over the fact that Obama is black and respect him for what he will be-Our President.

December 15, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. honeychild

Tamika... the VP Elect's last name is Biden not BINDEN and do us all a favor; GET LOST!!!

December 15, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. Chi Town

Jon

Well done... I added some facts to help...

Popular vote 62,040,610 59,028,444
    Percentage 50.7% 48.3%

Which of course would be the popular vote (over 50%) in 2004.
    However some don't let facts get in the way of their hate.

December 15, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  7. Scott NYC Independent

On do you really believe that Bush didn't rig both elections. You never found it odd that Jeb was in Florida the state that JUST HAPPENED to be the deciding factor. Oh and let us not forget that it was the Supreme court that intervened in our voting process and refused a valid recount. I know the majority of our states don't tie the electoral college to the popular vote – in case you didn't know it but at the inception of the electoral college it was presumed that the popular vote and electoral vote would be parallel to one another. It was only meant to be a corrective measure if up until the electoral college voted that we found we had a corrupt President Elect – but obviously that didn't work because Nixon was still voted into office as well as Bush 43.

December 15, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  8. Justin Caldwell, Houston Tx

just reading the joy of my fellow americans makes it hard not to cry at work

December 15, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. Scott NYC Independent

Oh and by the way – why are you quoting Churchill the Brits don't even practive democracy so what do they know.

December 15, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. Andy

You know for all of you that bring this shoe affair in this posting, I will finally agree with you all on something, I hope Obama bring the troops home. Not because it was wrong to be there in the first place, but because by their actions, these people have shown they are not worth saving. Pull the troops out let them kill each other and we will have peace.

December 15, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  11. Pc from DC

This is very hard for "SOME PEOPLE" to accept.

December 15, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. Ed Minnesota

Irrespective of whatever names Bush is called; and beyond any political bias, I consider the act of throwing shoes to my presendent as gross insult to me and the United states as a hole. I don't take it slightly. I personally expect the Iraqi president to appologize for that action. I think some you guys don't really understand the cultural connotation of the action. It ais a big spite against US and the western world if you don't know it.

December 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  13. Matt

Dear Obama Haters:

Please keep it up. I can't tell you how much it warms our hearts that you are so willing to sacrifice your own dignity in order to continue damaging the GOP for us.

The American People

December 15, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  14. Matt

@ Scott NYC

Did you really just say that? Someone alert the people that made that list of quotes, quick!!!

December 15, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. TexAnnie*-*-*-*-*-I've been in this game of politics for close to 40 years now

Obama & Biden have figured out the way to generate enthusiasm and optimism again in the political arena after 8 years of most people feeling totally excluded, ignored, and unappreciated. Hopefully this will continue and we'll see a see attitude in our federal government– and who knows, maybe it will even trickle down to the state & local level. I genuinely hope we are in for a presidency which is open & honest & respects the people of this country.

December 15, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  16. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-* I've been in this game of politics for close to 40 years now

Barack Obama & Joe Biden have figured out the way to generate enthusiasm & optimism & hope in the political arena after 8 years of most people feeling totally excluded, ignored, & unappreciated. Hopefully this will continue & we'll see a see attitude in our federal government– and who knows, maybe it will even trickle down to the state & local level. I genuinely hope we are in for a presidency which is open & honest & respects the people of this country. It's certainly time.....

December 15, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  17. Matt

Ok, here's a funny one for all of you sayign you will try to challenge Obama's signature on all pieces of legislation he signs: the legislation would then be considered unsigned and would go into effect after a certain time period. DUH. Do your research before you pretend to have figured out how to abuse the system. The only thing you could possibly challenge would be his signed VETOES. Now, let's see, what might he be vetoing that comes from Conrgess...couldn't be neocon Republican legislation could it?

December 15, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  18. anonymous in Big D

Jon – before chastising Scott – YOU should have checked the facts. Not only did Bush win the electoral votes in 2004 against stupid Kerry, HE WON THE POPULAR VOTES as well. Stupid!

December 15, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  19. SpookyX

I think that is exactly why he did quote Winston Churchill and to a degree the statement does make a good point.

December 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  20. once upon a horse

Wow "anonymous in Big D" claims that the Obamas are "just another Black family moving into goverment housing"

Well that's kind of ironic because this particular house was built by SLAVES which meant that at the time white males were too lazy to build it. Before you make such stupid comments you should really know what you're talking about!

December 15, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  21. Don in Florida

He's the nextPresident of the United States of America, Full Stop! All of you who voted for the other guy 'get over it'. You lost, case closed. I voted democrat in 2000 & 2004 but I wasn't bitter that we lost. W was my president for the past 8 years. I sided with him on 9/11. But now his time is over and everyone needs to move on. We need to wish our new President all the best so that he can fix what's ailing our nation. For those of you who are wishing him failure, you shouldn't consider yourselves true Americans. That's not what we do here! If he fails, we all fail. So get over yourselves and clinb on board the HOPE express!

December 15, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  22. bibi

I live in the Uk. It would be a dream come true if I could witness this wonderful event.

December 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. yellow dog democrat

I love riding the trains! great way to see and feel a part of the country we live in – nice gesture....

Lets all go a'ridin' on the 'soul train' get on board the soul train......and I mean this in a very good way folks..... :)

December 15, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  24. yellow dog democrat

For everyone who keeps whining about change? take two quarters and call someone who cares!

For everyone who continues to hate and think you got it all figured out – take this to the bank – 70% of Americans approve of the President Elect Barack Obama – which includes those who did not vote for him in the 1st place! How does it feel to be in the minority !? I guess that is why you are so very bitter. Guess what – there are folks out here that have been in the minority for a couple hundred years and probably the people like you are who was disrespecting them for no reason – just because you could. Lucky for us the world is changing for the better. Even if times are harder – change will be and is for the better.

December 15, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |