December 16th, 2008

Bush wants Jeb to run for Senate

Pres. Bush told CNN Tuesday that he'd like to see his brother Jeb run for political office again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Jeb Bush for Senate? His famous older brother thinks so.

In an interview with CNN’s Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, President Bush responded “yes” when asked whether his brother Jeb should run for the senate seat being vacated in 2010 by Republican Mel Martinez.

The president said he did not know if his brother, a popular former Florida governor, would ultimately run and had not discussed the prospect with the elder President Bush.

“I haven’t talked to my dad about whether or not he wants Jeb to run. First of all knowing my dad I bet he would say I want Jeb to do that which is best for him and then he would go on to say but if he chose to run he would be a great United States senator and he would be.”

President Bush also said he was “neutral” in next year’s Texas governor’s race which Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison will likely mount a tough Republican primary challenge against Governor Rick Perry.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Amber (Dem in FL)

He better change his name first.....that's all I have to say.

NO ONE is gonna vote for a Bush!

December 16, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. Matt

Sweet. Get them both in DC at the same time so we don't have to travel to two different states to throw our shoes at them.

December 16, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  3. southcarolinadem

OMG please , no more Bushs haven't the wreaked enough havoc on our country?

December 16, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  4. Pam

NO MORE BUSHES!!!!!

December 16, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. LYNETTE IN CA

NO MORE BUSHES!!!

December 16, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. chuck

HOW CAN A PRESIDENT WITH ZERO CREDITABILITY OFFER UP HIS BROTHER FOR THE SENATE. THIS SOUNDS LIKE COMMUNIST .FROM ONE JERK TO ANOTHER.

December 16, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  7. CanIcallyouJoe

For one thing, our government has been repeatedly destroyed by the Bush presidencies. No more Bushes in government.

For another, Jeb clearly hasn't executed enough prisoners to call himself a Bush. To make things worse, his state still has a public defender system – what is he thinking?!? You are trailing W by about 260 – better abolish that fair trial system and get to the murderin'! Sprint to the finish, not nap to the finish!

December 16, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. Give me a break!

No way, no how! I'm a Floridian and he RUINED our state while he was governor. The only thing he did right was during the hurricanes of 2004. Other than that, our education system is in the toilet thanks to him and his successor, Crist. Our taxes are high, our roads are bad...he was a horrible Governor, and I don't believe Floridians would give him a shot at Washington.

December 16, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  9. Virginia

Let's go Jeb-make it another dynasty for us. Wish I lived in FL so I could vote for you!!! You would be great.

December 16, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  10. Babs

Oh please.....I'm still Bush-Whacked!!

December 16, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  11. Tradition

This country is great thanks to our traditional and conservative leaders such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Regand, not Jimmy Carter or Barack Obama, as we are not the same as the European oe Middle East nations, and are proud of that. God bless America, based on the solid Biblical foundation/principles.

December 16, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. brad

Wait a minute
    “I haven’t talked to my dad about whether or not he wants Jeb to run" what is this a mob? Why does he have to have senior Bush approval.

December 16, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. Milhouse van Houten

If he does run,even with that last name,he should be restricted to staying in the Senate.The prospects of another Bush vying for the White House should have the whole country throwing their shoes.

December 16, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  14. Danny in Chicago

No more Bush! No more Bush! No more Bush!

Do I need to say it again????

December 16, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. Sue

They will vote for him in Florida. This is not a national spot; it is only voted on by the people in Florida.

December 16, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  16. Polar Bears Against Palen

The whole clan is disgusting. Enough already!

December 16, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  17. Laverne

If Jeb Bush's political career is over, he can thank his no brains brother George W. Bush.

December 16, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. Larry in Houston, Texas

Pleeze !! No MORE "BUSHES " we don't need any more idiots in Office, to ruin this country !!! His dad wasn't much of a Prez either !!

Larry
    Houston

December 16, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  19. JIM...TX

God SAVE us from another one!!!!

December 16, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Cori from Colorado

Please no! I thought we were done with the Bush's and their conservative right wing GOP. They're all liars and cheats, and I want to see those thieves prosecuted! Go away already.

December 16, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Brother Jeb is very popular in Florida, something like a 60 percent approval rating (Georgie wished he had those numbers). I think Jeb figures he cannot be President now, so why not go to DC and be a Senator for 30 years...

December 16, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. obama-mama

The Bushes should just run out of town.

December 16, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. Venia

there should be a law disallowing any bush to run for ANY office in this country.

December 16, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  24. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz

WE HAVE HAD SUCH A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH

BUSH SR. & JR., WE CAN'T WAIT FOR JEBEDIAH.

IF THE AMERICAN VOTER IS STUPID ENOUGH TO

EVER ELECT A BUSH TO ANY PUBLIC OFFICE,

I AM CERTAIN WE WILL GET EXACTLY WHAT WE

DESERVE, RIGHT UP THE OLD GLUTEUS MAXIMUS.

December 16, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  25. Corey

Jeb is far better than his brother...however I think he will be hurt toomuch by the name at this point in time. However, he is big in Florida.

December 16, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |