December 16th, 2008

Bush wants Jeb to run for Senate

Pres. Bush told CNN Tuesday that he'd like to see his brother Jeb run for political office again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Jeb Bush for Senate? His famous older brother thinks so.

In an interview with CNN’s Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, President Bush responded “yes” when asked whether his brother Jeb should run for the senate seat being vacated in 2010 by Republican Mel Martinez.

The president said he did not know if his brother, a popular former Florida governor, would ultimately run and had not discussed the prospect with the elder President Bush.

“I haven’t talked to my dad about whether or not he wants Jeb to run. First of all knowing my dad I bet he would say I want Jeb to do that which is best for him and then he would go on to say but if he chose to run he would be a great United States senator and he would be.”

President Bush also said he was “neutral” in next year’s Texas governor’s race which Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison will likely mount a tough Republican primary challenge against Governor Rick Perry.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. BS not Maverick

No more bushes not even in my yard.

December 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. pam Eugene OR

Jeb Bush may well be a good guy. He got high marks from the folks in FL. BUT... I have had more than enough of the BUSH name to last me several lifetimes.
    Sorry, Jeb but your brother forever sullied your name. He really stunk it up.
    I am a REAL American and the Bush family needs to just go away and pray EX President Bush does not finish in the jail cell he so richly deserves.

December 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. 3strikes

PALIN / JEB 2012

December 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. HH

jsk from Florida, you probably were living in Pluto all these years. And remember, we had the worse attack under Bush. Ask Iraquis about the thosands of dead for the 'american' freedom (yeah right!), ask other countries if they fill safer with Bush, but what happen to other is probably non of your concern. Jeb is another person I give you that.

December 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. NO

"I haven’t talked to my dad about whether or not he wants Jeb to run."

George needs to talk to Dad to see if Jeb should run for Senate.

Daddy's boys...

NO MORE BUSH. If he wins a senate seat, his career will end there.

NO MORE BUSHES!!

December 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Matt

@ Virginia

Really? What's do you already have to complain about with respect to Obama...other than losing horrifically in the election to his brilliant, inspiring, history-making campaign and getting told by the vast majority of the American public that your nasty, racist, sexist, xenophobic party can take a long walk off a short pier? But yeah, other than that, name one thing legitimate that you have to complain about without fabricating conspiracy theories. Ready? Go.

December 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. Jeff

jsk from Florida - Oh dear, if you honestly believe in any history book that the legacy of GW will speak of any success, you are completely nuts.

Here's your comment, "However, that doesn't negate the fact that no one has dared to attack our country since he has lead the charge on spreading freedom, hope, and democracy across the world. "

Ok–Remember buddy, the attack happened on his watch, therefore he was the president when our country was attacked, ignoring the threat completely.

Also, he has done what, lead the charge on spreading hope and democracy across the world. HAHAHA! Right, talk to any Iraqi, African, or Middle Eastern person and they will tell you about the hope and democracy that is being spread. I never figured Americans could still be as delusional as jsk from Florida.

The rest of the world hates us b/c of this man. There isn't hope and democracy in Iraq, there is a bloody civil war which I'm sorry to say Sadaam had under control. I'll never say Sadaam was a good person or should have been running a country, but he had that country in order. Iraq will not see order for tens of years. Geez, thanks GW for ruining a countries infrastructure and causing hardship throughout the land. What democracy and hope you have brought...LOL...Republicans are so smart! what a joke...

December 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. Pam

Bush needs to have another shoe thrown at him from suggesting such a thing.

December 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. HouseDiva

OH GOD NO!

December 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. SAM IN PA

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.I GIVE,UNCLE,TAPING OUT, NO MAS, I'LL EVEN TEA BAG A BEAR TRAP. JUST NO MORE BUSHES.

December 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  11. Godluvr

Consider the source!

December 16, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

NO MORE BUSHES ON THE PUBLIC PAYROLL EVER AGAIN!!!!!!

December 16, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. theprof

I think this guy jsk from Florida is actually code name for someone else. jsk from Florida has another moniker. Karl Rove!!!!aahhahhhhahhhharrrrgggghhh save us!!!!!

December 16, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  14. Anonymous

get lost you crooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 16, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. Floridian

Most people do not realize what Jeb Bush did to Florida. Bushes first, unqualified Cronies second mentality will serve the people of Florida. Most of JEB BUSHE'S "really bad ideas" where secretely stopped by those around him before he imbarrased himself and revealed his ignorance of the constitutuion. George and Jeb have the same M.O.!!!

To the Bushes the constitution is just an impediment to get around in order to get what they want, forget serving for the public good. Just name one thing George has done for (not to) the American people.
    They are all a bunch of Carpet baggers!

December 16, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. Jeff

and ya know what Richard, they are scumbags...Read the facts, oh wait, right wing nuts don't believe in facts...They believe in fear mongoring dictators (that's what Bush is/was) that want US citizens to fall in line using scare tactics as their method.

Ronald Reagon once cringed at the idea of having to find GW (who he referred to as a deadbeat, and not the politically motivated son [Jeb[) a job. Here is the direct quote from Reagan while trying to find W a job, "A moment I've been dreading. George (referring to G, Sr) brought his n'er-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida; the one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at the new republica and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work."

The quote was taken from the Regan Diaries....Look it up if you care to. Oh wait no, this is factual, right wingers don't believe in that, lol...

December 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. Frank Lee

Yeah, that'll work....................Florida needs Jeb like W needs another pair of shoes.

December 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. Antipholus

JSK, Bush was president on 9/11. He was 20% into his first term and did not keep this country safe, even though he had been told in person by Clinton during the transition that al-Qaeda should be his top concern and in a national security briefing (the title of which Rice tried to deceive the 9/11 committee about) which told him that al-Qaeda was intent on attacking us in the United States (it was not, as Ms. Rice lied, an "historical" document.)

I'm sure the thousands of innocent dead or maimed or traumatized Iraqis really appreciate Mr. Bush bringing an illegal war to their country so that they could have freedom. Bush and the rest of his administration repeatedly claimed that Hussein was connected to 9/11 (though Bush now denies it; thank science for video). Bush lied to us, to the world, and to the soldiers he sent to die for his war of convenience.

I don't want, as you claim, instant gratification and results. I want a president who doesn't lie, who doesn't shift the blame for his disasterous presidency to all but himself, and who doesn't destroy our moral and economic standing in the world, thus making us less safe.

I just wish that the Iraqi reporter had stepped in something unpleasant before throwing his shoes.

December 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. Naqib

This is funny...

Jeb is the only Republican Gov in Florida to ever be elected to a second term... by 53%... same as Obama's margin of victory... and would still be there if they allowed a third term.

If you're not from Florida... you can't vote in the Senate election... and he is popular down there... even in Georgia without Obama on the ticket the Repubs won that senate seat by 16%...

Don't confuse Jeb with George... Jeb would most likley win the seat if he decides to run.

December 16, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  20. Thomas Paine

I don't know about the rest of country but I suspect that like me we're all Bushed Out.

December 16, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  21. nom deplume

Finally, the Smarter Bush gets on the national stage. I can only imagine him seething for 8 years as his idiot brother sullied the family name.

I can't wait for the street demonstrations to begin so we can start to take back our country from the pseudo-reds gloating on this board, to whom I can only say: Batter up!

December 16, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  22. carl

Oh my god not another BUSH. we had a enough of the BUSH FAMILY.
    jeb bush go away with your brother. the worst president we've ever had.

no more BUSH.
    NO. NO. NO. NO. NO .NO

December 16, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  23. r sisk, nevada

I think ol George W has ruined any Bushes chance for election. Thank God.

December 16, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. Richard Rohde

jsk from Florida has written the best response to those with Bush Derangement Syndrome I have ever read. I for one stand ready to give Hussein Obama all of the respect and support that the Democrats have given Bush over the last 8 years.

December 16, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |