December 16th, 2008

Bush wants Jeb to run for Senate

Pres. Bush told CNN Tuesday that he'd like to see his brother Jeb run for political office again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Jeb Bush for Senate? His famous older brother thinks so.

In an interview with CNN’s Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, President Bush responded “yes” when asked whether his brother Jeb should run for the senate seat being vacated in 2010 by Republican Mel Martinez.

The president said he did not know if his brother, a popular former Florida governor, would ultimately run and had not discussed the prospect with the elder President Bush.

“I haven’t talked to my dad about whether or not he wants Jeb to run. First of all knowing my dad I bet he would say I want Jeb to do that which is best for him and then he would go on to say but if he chose to run he would be a great United States senator and he would be.”

President Bush also said he was “neutral” in next year’s Texas governor’s race which Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison will likely mount a tough Republican primary challenge against Governor Rick Perry.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Liberal Los Angeles, CA

Dont take your brother advice!!!!

December 16, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  2. Karen - Atlanta

We are done with the Bushes! NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MORE BUSHES!

December 16, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  3. Obi-Wan

There should be a new law: NO MORE BUSHES IN PUBLIC OFFICE

December 16, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  4. loose cannon

Please, enough! Jeb wanted to privitize everything including FLorida's water. Shades of Enron. Enough of the Bush family. They are a pox on America.

December 16, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. Donovan

Wow, the guy that stole the election for Georgie Jr wants to run himself? I'm just waiting for the shenanigans that ensue ....

December 16, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. Tim

TO: a REAL American

"My question to these idiots is: what are going to do when Obama takes office, then who are you going to blame?"

People will continue to blame Bush and Cheney for years to come, just like republicans continue to blame Clinton and Carter for every problem since the creation of man. Get used to the idea that Bush (who really is to blame) will be blamed for every poor decision he and the republican have made for the last 8 years. Oh yeah, that reminds me, if the shoe fits.....

December 16, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  7. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

NO MORE BUSHS

December 16, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. Independent FL voter

Um, not everyone in Florida loved Jeb as governor. That's why his approval rating was 60% instead of 100%.

Count me as one of the 40%. I'm a native Floridian and have seen my share of governors come and go. Jeb was a joke, and did nothing for this state. He did manage to preside over the worst election debacle this state or any other ever had (and for which we are still mocked), but aside from getting his brother installed in the White House, rescuing his wife from tax evasion and getting his drug-addled daughter off the hook, I can't think of a single noteworthy moment of his administration. I only hope he runs so I can vote against him.

BTW, before you label me a "typical liberal," I voted for GHW back in the day, and I'm perfectly happy with Charlie Crist.

December 16, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. Out with the old in with the new.

We don't need any more Bushes which includes
    Father of Bushes
    Mother of Bushes
    Cousin of Bushes
    Sister of Bushes
    Brother of Bushes
    Daughter of Bushes
    Son of de Bushes

December 16, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. ran

I can only hope Florida will not allow this jerk to win.

December 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. Conservative James, Phoenix, AZ

Jeb would have a better chance by changing his last name to Nixon or Hitler.

December 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  12. Peter (CA)

Viriginia–

Stop spewing long enough to see that "REAL" is one of yours.

He is calling out Democrats. All your rant shows is that you guys are all clueless.

December 16, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. Anne E.

Lameus Duckus must keep his mouth shut, just like Cheney. I'd say W. has done about as much for his brother's political future as he's done for our country and the world.
    NO MORE BUSHES IN POLITICS. PERIOD.

December 16, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. Larry in Houston, Texas

You go, KC Bob, & Some one in Cali – you guys said it best !

Larry
    Houston

December 16, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. Fla. Voter

Jeb is more of the same above the law approach as George. While govenor, Jeb Bush was ruled unconstitutional two times; however, he continued his illegal pursuit of religious vouchers and intrusion into the private family matter of Terri Schiavo (may she rest in peace).

No more Bushes and their neoconservative nonsense.

December 16, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. steve for change

He is much smarter than his brother, but he still is one of the many right wing cronies that can't be trusted to do what is right for the American people. JUST SAY NOOOOOOOO !!!

December 16, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

George Bush has guaranteed that no member of his family will ever hold public office again. And if any voting constituency ever elects this crowd to office, they should seceed that part of the country from the rest of us!!!

The Bush Family has stolen every nickel they have at the expense of the average American! Because of the antics of Prescott Bush, who had his companies seized under the "Trading With The Enemy Act" in 1942 (money laundeering with the Nazis!), George H.W. Bush had to move out-of-state to get elected. These people are not from Texas – they're from Connecticut!

IT'S TIME TO TRIM THE BUSHES – PERMANENTLY!!!!!!!

December 16, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  18. Brad - California

OMG – another member of the royal family's dynasty? Our galaxy, our planet, our hemisphere, our continent, our country... the Bush dynasty has destroyed Amwerica and given our souls to foreigners. WE CANNOT AFFORD ANY MORE BUSHES.

December 16, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  19. time to turn the page

Aren't there any trees out there instead? No bushes, please. They should go vacation in Iraq for a while. President Bush can likely start a shoe business out there.

December 16, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  20. Michael Dominick

I am an Independent that voted against Pres. Bush both times. But Jeb Bush is his own man. And a very smart man. He would make an excellent Senator. We can not discriminate against Jeb b/c of his family ties. We have to look at every single candidate on their own merits.

December 16, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  21. Patrick

People should keep an open mind about this. Your opinion of George Sr. or Jr. should have ZERO bearing on your opinion of Jeb. He would be great or worthless, judge him by his record not his name. After all didn't most Americans judge Obama on his record not his name?

December 16, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. Suzanne

Virginia says:

I guarantee you that we will have PLENTY to complain about–already have and Obama isn't even president YET!!

Interesting you didn't cite ONE example. I wonder why that is? You don't know much about politics? You don't have an example? You understand that your 'example' will be shredded by those more knowledgeable than you?

I doubt you have enough self-awareness for the last one. My guess is, you have no idea what you're saying.

December 16, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. Pete

In 2004 after 4 sickly years of lies and falsehoods I cut up a Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker to read, "No Bush" I was longing for the day, 20 Jan. 09 to remove it from my truck's rear window. Sadly it will have to remain. BTW, I live in FL so I know what a snake Jeb is.

December 16, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. tess

i'll bet that all these dems who are raving about no more dynasty will be the very same ones who go all out for chelsea (god forbid) and another kennedy and already did so with hillary! if you think you are believable just look at yourselves – you are so hypocritical it is funny (and transparant)

December 16, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |