December 16th, 2008

Bush wants Jeb to run for Senate

Pres. Bush told CNN Tuesday that he'd like to see his brother Jeb run for political office again.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Jeb Bush for Senate? His famous older brother thinks so.

In an interview with CNN’s Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, President Bush responded “yes” when asked whether his brother Jeb should run for the senate seat being vacated in 2010 by Republican Mel Martinez.

The president said he did not know if his brother, a popular former Florida governor, would ultimately run and had not discussed the prospect with the elder President Bush.

“I haven’t talked to my dad about whether or not he wants Jeb to run. First of all knowing my dad I bet he would say I want Jeb to do that which is best for him and then he would go on to say but if he chose to run he would be a great United States senator and he would be.”

President Bush also said he was “neutral” in next year’s Texas governor’s race which Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison will likely mount a tough Republican primary challenge against Governor Rick Perry.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Dennis Saffer

I'll move to Florida just so I can vote against him! NO MORE BUSH!

December 16, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. Judy Miami Fl

Floridians we need to start right now a campaign against another Bush involved in representing Americans. No more Bushes anywhere. Tough luck Jeb.

Let's "shoe" him out also.

December 16, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. Texas Dan

The USA was founded to get rid of dynastic political families like the Bushes.

December 16, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  4. Ryan in Europe

Mr Bush i like your reflex , but that does not mean it is ok for Jeb to run.

December 16, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. BB

Weren't GW and GHW both members of Skull and Bones? Wonder if they are "King Making" again?

December 16, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. We're NOT "your friends"!!!

I hope our 43rd prez campaigns for you as much as possible!

Your going down!!!

December 16, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. Michael in Ventura,CA

To use an old Jessee Jackson quote-"Stay out of the bushes!"
    Enough!

December 16, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  8. LM75

I don't believe this. Haven't we been punished enought?

December 16, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. Parker

Who would vote for Bush number two? I mean come on.

December 16, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. Jackie in Dallas

Oh, god, not another Bush in national politics. I don't think that all the millions of people who's votes were for naught because of Jeb's "leadership" of Florida in 2000 would be very happy to see him....

December 16, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Agnes Fleming

Please, No. Not another Bush! We have had enough of this carpetbagger family. If I were any of them, I would beg out and retire from politics for a number of generations, until the dust settles and the name can clean itself up from corruption and having its hands deep in the pockets of Middle East princes.

December 16, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. Hilary

Gee...really?

December 16, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  13. Jackie in Dallas

You guys are lucky, Georgie Jr. is not "retiring" into a neighborhood near you - he is for me! I just hope he spends more time in Crawford than in Dallas!

December 16, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. gabba

String him up instead...

December 16, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  15. MikQuick

No more Bush – our country can't afford it. We can't afford it economically nor will we be able to maintain any kind of integrity in the eyes of other nations if we allow it.
    How can he not realize the stupidity?...oh yeah – not realizing they are stupid is one of the traits that gets stupid people in trouble...
    If Jeb is elected, it wil be by the "faith based" groups hoping he will do better than he big brother – thats the problem with faith – it ignores facts in favor of some unfounded belief. If elected, no sympathy for you later when you realize he is an idiot just like his brother. You should have known before (all the facts are there) unless you voted by..."faith".

December 16, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. a REAL American

I truly think that most of the people who come to the ticker just sit around seething and waiting to see the words "Bush", "Cheney", "Palin", or any other Republican politician so they can name-call and let their rage fly like it's a sport.

My question to these idiots is: what are going to do when Obama takes office, then who are you going to blame?

December 16, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. so cal gal

Haven’t we suffered enough?

December 16, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  18. concerned coloradan

Please!!! NOT ANOTHER SON OF A BUSH!!!

December 16, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Let the shoe throwing begin. GWB should be ashame at the thought the country is so pleased with him that his brother should be a senator. Jeb or no other Bush can cleanup the Bush name, not in this country.

December 16, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  20. Georgia Peach

Oh my GOD!!! We have had ENOUGH of the Bush Family. After Jeb will it be Barney? PLEEEEEZE!!!

December 16, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. MARTHA

NOOOO COMMENT.

THAT NAME SAYS IT ALL!

December 16, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  22. Anonymous

God No!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 16, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. s

God Noooo!!!!!!!

December 16, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  24. JLB

Why does he have to check with his Dad. I would think that Jeb could make up his own mind. Having said that I would hope that the answer is NO. This country can't handle any more of the Bush family trying to run this country.

December 16, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  25. smoothoperator

Thank you but no thank you...just like GM will retire some of their nameplates, for the reasons well know, the Bushes need to retire their last name for good from politics for reasons well know.....fool me once...fool me twice....FOOL ME 3 TIMES, I DON'T THINK SO......

December 16, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |