December 16th, 2008

Cheney says Clinton just what Obama needs

Cheney is praising Obama's new national security team.
Cheney is praising Obama's new national security team.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama's national security team got an endorsement from an unlikely source Monday: Vice President Dick Cheney.

In an interview with ABC News, Cheney called the team - to be headed by Secretary of State-designate Hillary Clinton, National Security adviser Gen. Jim Jones, and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates - "pretty good."

"I must say, I think it's a pretty good team," Cheney said in an interview that aired Tuesday morning. "I think the idea of keeping Gates at Defense is excellent. I think Jim Jones will be very, very effective as the national security adviser."

"While I would not have hired Sen. Clinton, I think she's tough," he also said of Obama's choice for secretary of state. "She's smart, she works very hard and she may turn out to be just what President Obama needs."

The comments come a day after Arizona Sen. John McCain also offered kind words for Obama's national security team, saying it was a group of people he may have chosen himself.

But the seeming praise from high-profile Republicans over Obama's national security team could further rile members of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party - the demographic that strongly supported Obama's candidacy throughout the prolonged Democratic primaries.

"Some on the left say, 'Wait a minute - we voted for change,'" CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Dick Cheney
  1. Gracie

SHUT the hell up Cheney, NO ONE CARES what you think you GREEDY, CORRUPT loser!!! ENOUGH already.

December 16, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  2. Tony

The usual token endorsements of the new administration by the former administration. I guess it's news...

December 16, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  3. RobK

Hey, once you are elected, campaign promises go out the window. Now, you have to do what you think is right for the country (or what will get you elected to a second term).

December 16, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  4. kim

let the far left nuts take a dive, this country is moving forward, they can get on board or continue to be a bunch of idiots. You cannot just have a bunch of liberal nuts running the country, we are a center country and you have to run the country from the middle. I am not an Obama fan, I did not vote for him, but he is our President and I am willing to give him a chance. I am happy with his choices, maybe in 4 years I will be ready to vote for him, but everyone deserves a chance. The nuts need to let it go.

December 16, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  5. AEK

Oh man! And I was just warming up to the idea of Mrs. Clinton as the Secretary of State. An endorsement from the Bush/Chaney/Rove camp...can we get a second opinion from the Larry/Curly/Moe camp?

December 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. Mike G

I don't know why I bother to post comments – they are never approved, even though they are more respectful and lucid than many others that do get approved.

Cheney is a war criminal, morally-bankrupt, and the personification of evil in modern times. Bush was dull a butter knife, so at least he had an excuse – his stupidity. Cheney is a smart man, he has no excuse for his crimes. There is no justice until a court convicts him and he swings from the gallows.

Who cares what he thinks about ANYTHING? Just ride off into the sunset with your ill-earned taxpayer money and please vanish into obscurity. It will be a happy day when I no longer see this withered old criminal's face on TV and the internet.

December 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  7. GE - MD

It's a relief – left-wing tails will not wag this mutt.

December 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  8. mdogboy1

And you are who.....

December 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  9. Sherrol in Canada

What exactly does Cheney mean when he says 'she may turn out to be just what President Obama needs'.

Sorry, but in my book everything thing this man says is suspect.

December 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  10. Joe

HAHA....

I love it!

America – you just got what you deserve!!!!!

December 16, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  11. Abyssinian Lion

Duck!

December 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  12. Drone

Thats like getting an endorcement from the Devil...

December 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  13. Jill American

"Some on the left say, 'Wait a minute — we voted for change,'" CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider said."????

I say, "Kool-aid, Kool-aid, tastes great. Kool-aid, Kool-aid, can't wait!"

December 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. Tim

Uh-oh, the kiss of death. The lefties will get their undies in a bunch.

December 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  15. obama-mama

Cheney, thanks but no thanks for your endorsements. Just hope I will never see you again after January 20, 09......Beat it....

December 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. Tom D

LOL!!!!! Who cares what this guy thinks! Just go already and pray that your criminal activity will not come back to haunt you.

December 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. Cathy Brandes

The last person who should be commenting on President-Elect Obama's choices is Dick Cheney. This man should be prosecuted! I don't think Senator Clinton needs or wants his endorsement. This bunch needs to concentrate on packing their belongings and leaving Washington, DC as fast as humanly possible. Good riddance to them all!

December 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. The Next Generation

We're sick of the garbage coming out of Bush, Cheney and their outdated, incompetent, uneducated, selfish, greedy, corrupt party of Repubicans. Whatever Cheney says is about as relevant as yesterday's newspaper that was used to wrap fish.

December 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  19. Seattle Sue

Why would I care what Dick Cheney has to say? After the past eight years of Cheney and Bush all I want to hear of them is that they are going to jail.

December 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. joe smith

bildinberger buddies to the end..

December 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  21. I'm in Charge Here At The White House

Clinton will follow the directives of the President or she will be removed.

The implication from Cheney is that Clinton will bring some individualistic focus that "is exactly what Obama needs". This is wrong and for Cheney to suggest or encourage that type of behavior is detrimental to a "No Drama Obama" administration.

The minute Hillary Clinton begins to act like Al Haig .... she's got to go.

December 16, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Well, I can now say I agree with the Vice President on some things. And I am one of those Liberals that CNN keeps referring to and I am pleased with the picks P.E. Obama has made. It is great to see qualified individuals at the helms of these agencies, as opposed to cronies and buddies. That is change I believe in so kudos to the next President.

December 16, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  23. kate

Why are the Clintons against Caroline Kennedy? I thought they are now on board with the President Elect .. are they?

December 16, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  24. AL

GO HOME already!!!!!! Who cares what you think, you did enough damage to this country along with your sidekick GWB... Oh, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas, considering so many people in this country may not have the means to celebrate!!!!!!!!

December 16, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  25. Kirk Anderson

No one cares what this most irrelevant pig thinks. We're counting the days Dick! (I throw my shoes at YOU!)

December 16, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |