December 16th, 2008

Cheney says Clinton just what Obama needs

Cheney is praising Obama's new national security team.
Cheney is praising Obama's new national security team.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama's national security team got an endorsement from an unlikely source Monday: Vice President Dick Cheney.

In an interview with ABC News, Cheney called the team - to be headed by Secretary of State-designate Hillary Clinton, National Security adviser Gen. Jim Jones, and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates - "pretty good."

"I must say, I think it's a pretty good team," Cheney said in an interview that aired Tuesday morning. "I think the idea of keeping Gates at Defense is excellent. I think Jim Jones will be very, very effective as the national security adviser."

"While I would not have hired Sen. Clinton, I think she's tough," he also said of Obama's choice for secretary of state. "She's smart, she works very hard and she may turn out to be just what President Obama needs."

The comments come a day after Arizona Sen. John McCain also offered kind words for Obama's national security team, saying it was a group of people he may have chosen himself.

But the seeming praise from high-profile Republicans over Obama's national security team could further rile members of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party - the demographic that strongly supported Obama's candidacy throughout the prolonged Democratic primaries.

"Some on the left say, 'Wait a minute - we voted for change,'" CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Dick Cheney
  1. Yuseff

Praise from Dick Cheney on Obama's choices. Now that scares me.

December 16, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Florida Joe

And we care what DARTH VADER has to say why???

December 16, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. Anna

kim, thank god you are giving him a chance otherwise what would have happen to Obama. thank you thank you , you rethug

December 16, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. Accountant Guy

No one cares what you think Cheney. Can't wait for you and Bush to be dragged into court for all the evil you and the other Republicans brought upon this country!! Can't wait for our first black president and Biden to get into office!!

December 16, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  5. beevee

ABC news! why do you even bother interviewing Cheney? Don't you have anything better to report. For what he has done from behind the stage, the media should make him an obscure entity. Who care now what he thinks.

December 16, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  6. LMR from Texas

What does Dick Cheney know about foreign policy? Nothing! So who cares what he thinks. Esp. about Clinton. Cheney, go back to Halliburton and collect your 100's of millions of dollars their saving up for you.

December 16, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  7. Everything in Moderation

C'mon CNN. He said she "may turn out to be just what President Obama needs." Your cropping of his quote is typical of today's journalism. Selectively grabbing a section of a quote to make a headline. Journalism is dead.

December 16, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  8. chris

Chenny take a hike, no one cares what you think.
    I think you should continue to keep your mouth shut.

December 16, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  9. Sharon

Chenney can go kick rocks. He all but disappeared his entire tenure in office and NOW he's got something to say. Ride off into the sunset with your boss, you bum!

December 16, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. Salil

Obama has moved rapidly towards the center, and seemingly abandoned some of the campaign platforms that were most disconcerting for those who voted against him. He's apparently come to his senses on Iraq, the economy (letting the Bush tax cuts expire naturally), and his job creation plans are solid, almost, dare I say it, Keynesian in nature. I applaud his efforts to use private enterprise to stimulate the economy, as opposed to socialistic wealth redistribution and nationalization of industry. Now, if he gets on board and uses the same mentality regarding Health Care reform (finding private market solutions, like incenting Americans to lose weight and get healthy through tax breaks to insurance companies who have transparent and common sense policies), he may find a whole new set of voters in 2012. I'd like to see some honesty though – as in a vocalized and clear rejection of the radical left that it seems he clearly manipulated to get here.

December 16, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  11. chris

Cheney take a hike, no one cares what you think.
    I think you should continue to keep your mouth shut.

December 16, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. Mari

I do not care what Cheney thinks. IF I never saw or heard from him again I would be thrilled! Cheney is a war criminal, a liar and just plain evil. He was the 'real' president, Bush was his puppet.

December 16, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  13. Joe

I love how the intelligence of the current administration has been attacked incessantly for the past 8 years...

I love how the sheep following Obama love to tell those that don't agree with themselves to "think for yourselves"...

I love how Obama thought that 10,000 people died in the Greensburg, KS tornado...(it was 8)

I love how Obama thinks that we have 58 states...

I love how the "wise" constantly make themselves look foolish...

I love how "change" looks a lot like the same...

I fear that America has begun an irrevocable descent from greatness toward mediocrity and irrelevance...

December 16, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. Rob

Which Clinton, Bill to show him the best rooms to bang interns in or Hillary on the best ways to dodge non-existant sniper fire? Or maybe both of them for tips on how get former friends and law partners to 'commit suicide', or maybe on 'mis-placing' billing records.

December 16, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. Paul DObro

Isn't having people that both sides agree can be effective a BIG change?

Isn't having knowledgable people with plans and accountability if they are not meet CHANGE?

Isn't having a President who thoughtfully takes questions, has no comment until the internal review is complete and then, in less then ONE WEEK, have the review complete CHANGE?

Jan 20th can not come soon enough. Shut up Chaney.

December 16, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  16. Mitchell from MS

I like this new team. It will remind people why they voted the dems out in the first place.

Nancy Pelosi the recession is on you and the dems in the House. In 2006 before Pelosi took office the dow was 12000 and today the dow is less than 9000. I am sure this is just an anomially.

lol. 2010 house elections are coming.

December 16, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  17. Buckeye

so far nothing but cosmetic change. The American auto industry is going down the tubes around here and the change candidate is going on vacation in Hawaii. The more things change, the more they remain the same....

December 16, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  18. Kathy

Cheney said, "I am not close to Obama, he is a liberal and I am the son of Satan who hates and kills all to make me richer. Look at the Halburton and KBM, they have killed our soliders by improper wiring that electrocutes them, I have killed enough by denying them body armor and vehicle armor." After, Cheney ate his usual breakfast of 6 dead puppies and laughed all the way to the bank!

December 16, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  19. Grog in Ohio

"Some on the left say, 'Wait a minute — we voted for change,'" while most on the left will be absolutely ecstatic with competence, which has been woefully lacking for 8 years.

35 days till the end of the Bush administration.

December 16, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. Anonymous

I don't hear any liberals griping – just the media making up a story -

December 16, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Monty

He should crawl back down his hole...

December 16, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  22. carol

We are supposed to think Cheney's opinion matters here!!!
    This arrogant man who belongs in jail anyway, just needs to go away and the sooner the better.

December 16, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  23. v.ananthan

"OBAMA NEEDS TAXPAYERS MONEY "

During the campaign OBAMA said that he won^t use tax payer^s money.

And at the same time that he promised to save the car industry..

AND I WONDER HOW OBAMA IS GOING TO DO IT ????

NOBODY WILL DO OR WANTS TO DO THE DIRTY WORK AND THEN AGAIN AMERICA^S WORST PRESIDENT " BUSH" HAS TO STEP UP AND SAVE AMERICAN JOBS...

PEOPLE ARE HYPOCRITES..

December 16, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  24. Mike From NYC

Hey Dicky boy just go away.......we Americans never knew you. past 8 yrs to forget we will need 80 yrs more. just go where ever.

December 16, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. Dandare

Mike G... to quote a Supreme Court Justice.. get over it!

December 16, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |