December 16th, 2008

Cheney says Clinton just what Obama needs

Cheney is praising Obama's new national security team.
Cheney is praising Obama's new national security team.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama's national security team got an endorsement from an unlikely source Monday: Vice President Dick Cheney.

In an interview with ABC News, Cheney called the team - to be headed by Secretary of State-designate Hillary Clinton, National Security adviser Gen. Jim Jones, and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates - "pretty good."

"I must say, I think it's a pretty good team," Cheney said in an interview that aired Tuesday morning. "I think the idea of keeping Gates at Defense is excellent. I think Jim Jones will be very, very effective as the national security adviser."

"While I would not have hired Sen. Clinton, I think she's tough," he also said of Obama's choice for secretary of state. "She's smart, she works very hard and she may turn out to be just what President Obama needs."

The comments come a day after Arizona Sen. John McCain also offered kind words for Obama's national security team, saying it was a group of people he may have chosen himself.

But the seeming praise from high-profile Republicans over Obama's national security team could further rile members of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party - the demographic that strongly supported Obama's candidacy throughout the prolonged Democratic primaries.

"Some on the left say, 'Wait a minute - we voted for change,'" CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Dick Cheney
  1. Jerry

Yes, and the Clintons are experts at avoiding criminal prosecutions.

December 16, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. Billy J , TX-

Cheney is the last person I would ever want a recommendation from, unless you were looking for someone to help you abuse your power to spill our countries blood, and spend our treasure for you and your cronies profit.

December 16, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  3. philip

I agree with Mike G on all points (including his point about postings) except I do feel Bush may have some serrated edges to his butter knife image. The entire administration should be brought to justice.

Really... who cares what Cheney thinks. It would be like Hitler making a comment after the Holocaust were he still living.

December 16, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. Mickie

First of all the republicans are playing kiss, kiss, nice, nice right now because they know their party is in big trouble with voters. But, I think the media are the ones who are making a big stink about the liberal left being upset with Obama's picks. Where are you getting this info. This is all reported as anonymous info and no foundation. I am one of the liberal left who voted for Obama for change and I can tell you, it was not so that he could bring in all inexperienced people (like "Brownie" at FEMA). I believe that Obama's leadership will decide on the direction his cabinet members take and I believe he is a strong leader. If you're going to create waves in the media, give some facts to back it up please.

December 16, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  5. itbeme

why is this news? Is CNN so hard up that they have to listen to anything this man has to say.

The only thing I would like to hear from this idiot is an admission that he and his idiot boss are guilty of killing over 4000 US men and women for no reason. Just before they shot themselves in the head.

December 16, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. Joy

I'm at a loss to understand why VP Cheney even commented. I guess he thought someone would care about his opinion about this. Now if he were the president, it might matter, but he's not.

December 16, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  7. Mike From NYC

Somebody please throw shooe at this guy.....

December 16, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  8. Ia Guy

You voted for change and you still are stuck with Hillary and Bill. :)

December 16, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  9. Nicki

What Cheney Needs is An Indictment!
    No one cares what you say DICK!

December 16, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  10. Cyn Savo

I'm a registered Democrat and have been a member of MoveOn.org since it started. That should be enough to give me liberal cred. I have been an ardent supporter of President-elect Obama since he announced he was running. He has said repeatedly that change will come from how he leads. The same team with different coaches will have different results. We have numerous examples of the disastrous results of bringing political neophytes into the White House/government. I love that he has chosen smart, experienced, diverse people together to move the country in a new direction. What a relief from the neo-con Bush years to have a smart president that's not ideological but pragmatic and a unifier. What needs to be done and who are the best people to do it appears to be his guiding principle. He hasn't even been sworn in yet and people in the wings–right and left–are already complaining. Roll up your sleeves and get to work. We are so challenged on so many fronts that we need to pull together to work for the change we want. As Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

December 16, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  11. call me crazy

wow I was wondering where he has been hideing..must be a slow news day..I really don't care what this moron has to say!!!

December 16, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  12. katiec

This is getting so tiresome. The media continues to state the liberals are upset with Barack Obama's choices, but in reading the blogs find strong support. Everything CNN says starts with a negative or a question.
    Get over it CNN. Contrary to your support of the republicans the American people voted in Barack Obama and he will do his best to undo all the diasters of these last eight years.
    He has picked a highly qualified staff and after a long time of doom and gloom we now have hope.

December 16, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  13. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

who cares what this fascist thinks about anything???? go practice your waterboarding.

December 16, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  14. Corey

Its when the middle ground Dems and Repubs are leading that we do well. Its when the far left or right wingers get power that the country goes on a roller coaster from hell. I don't care what side your on as long as we put our minds together and finally solve something. I am sick of games and delays. Just get things done that are the best for this country and its people. Enough with the bs from radicals on both sides.

December 16, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  15. Nicki

Cheney praises Obama's pick. No one in America thinks this man is not a criminal...Way to go Cheney....Love your little dig.

I'm sure you are lining up to throw a party for her at the Blair House!

December 16, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  16. F.Johnson.

Sen McCain would have chosen some of the same cablnet members himself ? He chose Palin for his VP. Enough said.

December 16, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  17. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Just the sight of Cheney makes me sick.

December 16, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  18. Glenn Doty, Columbia, SC

As for the "far left wing" that endorsed him... I don't know a single person that is upset with him thus far. I've been sending what little money I could afford (in very small quantities of 5-20 dollars at a time) since June. I am one of Obama's more adamant supporters, and many of my friends are far more zealous supporters than I.

Many of my friends are far more left leaning than I as well. None of us expected a bunch of hippies calling for the complete dismantling of the armed services.

The goal is to have a foreign policy that is conducted civilly, without the sense that baring the blade is the first and last option. We have that.

The fact that the people chosen are knowlegeable and competent doesn't offend anyone.

If CNN claims that "far left" people are upset, they should find one of these idiots and quote him/her... But I've never met such a person, and I'm from the left.

December 16, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  19. Saint Genesius

Yes, we voted for change...FROM BUSH!

December 16, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  20. Momof3

Schneider's comment is stupid. Competence IS change.

December 16, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  21. Dave

So what? Now the liberal wing wants to take the election back?

December 16, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  22. Joe M

Kim, we've got a bunch of nuts a both extremes and sooner they're on "ignore" the better. Your attitude is commendable and no rational person wants any administration to crash and burn. Since the bleating on the cabinet choices is coming from both extremes I concur with your opinion so far.

December 16, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  23. rich

Where are my shoes?!

December 16, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  24. Karen - Proud of This Country

Cheney, what a waste of air.... anyone would have been better than him. He has absolutely NOT served the American people. A poor President picked a poor, useless Vice-President. I really sympathize with the reporter who threw his shoe at the President. I can totally understand the reporters frustration with President Bush and the invasion of his country. Although I am an American citizen, I feel violated that we Americans elected President Bush, not once but twice. We were lied to and violate in the worst way possible. I think the Iraqi officials should let the reporter go with a good tongue lashing and nothing else because I feel like to throw my shoe at the television everytime I see President Bush and Vice-President Cheney for running our country in the ground.

December 16, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  25. watcher

Not even out of office and already Cheney is trying to poison the well !!!

December 16, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |