December 16th, 2008

White House press secretary sports black eye

Perino joked reporters are no longer able to wear shoes to press conferences.
Perino joked reporters are no longer able to wear shoes to press conferences.

(CNN) – Who knew being White House press secretary was such a dangerous job?

While President Bush emerged from the weekend's now-infamous shoe attack in Iraq without a scratch, press secretary Dana Perino appears to be a little worse for wear.

Perino was sitting to the side of the president when an Iraqi journalist threw his shoes at him Sunday.  She was inadvertently hit by a microphone as the president's Secret Service agents responded and officials scrambled to wrestle the journalist to the ground.

Watch: Bush ducks shoes in Iraq

The full effects of the accident were clear at Tuesday's White House daily briefing, where Perino sported a bruise below her right eye and scratch just above the eyebrow.

"The shoe check-in and check-out policy will begin tomorrow," Perino joked.

Related: Iraqis urge government to free shoe-thrower

Filed under: Popular Posts
  1. mike

It is unfortunately what happened to Bush and perino
    It is also unfortunate to the thousands of iraqis dying every day and those loosing their homes and jobs. no one hears their pain.

December 16, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. Befuddled by Kpawlak response..

Kpawlak December 16th, 2008 2:32 pm ET

To you bush hating bloggers who think it's great that the shoe was thrown, I hope you are not raising offspring. Your lack of any kind of respect and your ignorance I hope, does not move any further than this self absorbed uninformed generation. Makes me wonder had that been Obama? I'm sure it would have become a racial issue and you all would be whipped up into a froth!

You must be in that 20% that are still drinkin gthe BUSH kool-aid, or are just one of the many thieves that have benefitted from his treacherous eight years.!!!If you haven't noticed, millions of people are suffering and losing their jobs because of this jerk. This has nothing to do with race unless you're talking about Bush being in a race all by himself "IGNORANCE'.

December 16, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. rob

Big deal. She will still sport that smug grin, and continue being a condescending bit**. She will devote a whole chapter to it when she writes her book. I'll bet sean hannity cried himself to sleep.

December 16, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  4. Brad

In response to Kendall,

A future where our kids will have no health insurance and paying the huge debt the last 8-years have created? Give me a break, freedom at the cost of our principles is not freedom. It's a joke.

December 16, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. Jesse from Maryland

The fact that this guy felt free enough to throw a shoe at the president simply underscores the fact that freedom of expression and speech has found a far greater foothold in the Middle East than his critics ever give Bush credit for. In a democracy, people protest and express their opinions. The reporter's footwear-flinging and the scattered protests in Iraq in support of the reporter are proof positive that something profound has changed in Iraq because of Bush's actions, flawed though they were at times.

December 16, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. Rumsfeld

As absurd as the last eight years have proven to be, I am not surprised that in these final days, the absurdity ratchets up.
    Wow.

December 16, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. Concerned

That poor secretary! I hope she's ok! I don't care if she's Bush's secretary, she had to be there as a part of her job. I hope she isn't too shaken up. The bruise looks like it isn't so bad, but that could be the makeup.

December 16, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. Hans-Erik Iken

The shoe throwing incident was funny in a way, it was weird to see a guy who is supposedly a professional journalist lose it so much.

The black eye: well maybe she can get a medal for being wounded in the line of duty :p.

Less funny about the shoe story is the fact that the guy was not down before he got the chance to throw the shoe in the first place. Security was too slow. If he had thrown a brick or other hard object not caught by the scanners the president could have been seriously hurt or worse.

I have no love for the twit currently serving as president but he should be protected all the same. Secret Service dropped the ball on this one, let it be a lesson for the future. Not only bullets can kill!

December 16, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  9. L in Texas

I am a proud southern liberal, but am appalled by the staggering ignorance of some people... it's NEVER right to attack the president, even if you hate him (his policies) and didn't vote for him.

December 16, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  10. Wacky Obacky

Chi Town: You are a truly pathetic loser of a person. In fact, you are welcome to leave and go live in Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, North Korea or any of the other great places you apparently adore... While I would take my shoes off, at least I have the decency (which you do not) to NOT throw them at you!

December 16, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. still searching for true equality in america

i no longer care what is happening in iraq... i have had enough of the liar and his bully friends.. "pseudo freedom" is not freedom.

December 16, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  12. Dave, Illinois

Jared and the other little jerks who thought this was funny are typical of the type who gets their news from Comedy Central and SNL. Wait till life throws a shoe at you. Your pathetic type cannot handle anything more stressful than a broken TV. I read comments from vermin like you and shake my head realizing that your type votes. Hopefully you and your type will not breed so the next generation has a chance.

December 16, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  13. lisa

karma sucks.

December 16, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. Beah

PERINO IS AN IDIOT ANYWAY!

December 16, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. Steve

I voted for Obama. I dislike Bush intensly. I do NOT think, however, that throwing a shoe at a world leader is acceptable under ANY circumstances. And now the Arab press is demanding the journalist's release, to show that democracy works. What a bunch of fools. Democracy does not mean freedom to do anything to anyone. Obviously they don't get it. The shoe thrower should cool his heels in a nice, comfortable Iraqi prison for a year or two. If some American soldier had thrown his shoe at the Iraqi (or Egyptian president...the journalist was from Egypt) there would be an international incident right now. People burning American flags in the streets, shouting "Death to America!" Spare me. Whatever Bush is, or has done, throwing shoes at him is not acceptable.

December 16, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  16. wood

Bush got the Black Eye last time.. he blamed the PRETZEL Must be a lot of pretzel loose around W. Bush.

December 16, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  17. Mike in Texas

I'm not sorry she got hit by the shoe. She stood up and broadcast the lies of the Bush Administration for years. She even added insults against the Dems (and liberals in general) to her "news reports". Shameful. Shes getting her just rewards.

December 16, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  18. Dee

Is there any more to say about this beyond, "I wonder where shoe-thrower-boy would be at this moment if he had thrown his shoes at Saddam Hussein?"

December 16, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  19. bjorn

JS..........i agree. It is not acceptable. No persons, particularly the prez of USA should be treated that way. I would be offended if our press spit on the Pope, threw a tomato at Putin, etc..

December 16, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  20. same old story

She lies alot.

December 16, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  21. Nile

Oh my . . . . when the nation & foreign countries do not support your manager that indicates . . . the BIG PICTURES NEEDS TO BE FINE TUNED!

December 16, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. Obama666

I'm sure that Obama will have his share of shoes going at him.

But, you bleeding heart libs will say it is a hate crime or some other crap.

Obama will be impeached within the first 2 years. He is nothing more that a snake oil salesman.

December 16, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  23. Fred, So. St Paul MN

If this happened to OBAMA, whould that be a good thing? You Demacrats are full of you self!! OBAMA wants to be my President. Why can't you realize that Bush is our President weather we like him or not. Did you think that the people that flew planes in to the TRADE CENTERS, PENTAGON, AND A FIELD IN PA. were hero's? I Bet the some 3500 people that died that day would differ with you. Consider your selves non american!!!!!!!

December 16, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  24. Blue balloons

She stole my joke. I knew I should have copyrighted it.

December 16, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  25. reggie

Throwing shoes at the most powerful man in the world? Not too bright. Let's try to grow up a little bit. Shall we?

December 16, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |