December 16th, 2008

White House press secretary sports black eye

Perino joked reporters are no longer able to wear shoes to press conferences.
Perino joked reporters are no longer able to wear shoes to press conferences.

(CNN) – Who knew being White House press secretary was such a dangerous job?

While President Bush emerged from the weekend's now-infamous shoe attack in Iraq without a scratch, press secretary Dana Perino appears to be a little worse for wear.

Perino was sitting to the side of the president when an Iraqi journalist threw his shoes at him Sunday.  She was inadvertently hit by a microphone as the president's Secret Service agents responded and officials scrambled to wrestle the journalist to the ground.

Watch: Bush ducks shoes in Iraq

The full effects of the accident were clear at Tuesday's White House daily briefing, where Perino sported a bruise below her right eye and scratch just above the eyebrow.

"The shoe check-in and check-out policy will begin tomorrow," Perino joked.

Related: Iraqis urge government to free shoe-thrower

Filed under: Popular Posts
  1. rm

I do think that Bush will go down as one of the most ineffective Presidents ever. I also, however, do not wish for him or anyone else to get hurt. Violence is not a good answer to any problems that we face.

December 16, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. Anna

Oh yeah, SPC, why dont you and beloved Bush do the samething to those poor Mayanmar people, Darfur, Somalia, Tibet peole who are also suffering more than what you are telling stories about Saddam and his regime, why dont just accept Bush did this for oil. if Bush intensions were so nice why he is not doing that to other people in the world why only Iraq. I am not supporting Saddam here, if you are not enough smart to understand, I am opposing Bush foreign policies which left America with more enemies than friends.

December 16, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. Helen

Ducking Shoes, Sitting Duck, Way to go Bush

December 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. Libs be dopes

There will be no shoes in the White House, I don't think Muslims wear shoes indoors......

December 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. bsmith171

lawsuit against iraqui governemnt for $50 BN.
    they didn't handle security.

just like airports shoes not allowed.

December 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. Frank

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A little makeup would have covered that right up, but she's getting far more mileage out of it this way. She and Sarah Palin should compare notes. I'll bet she's been walking around saying things like "Look at my eye. I got it while defending the president."

This is karma for all the lies she's told the American people. She finally gets to take a hit for Bush FOR REAL.

His response to the "attack" wasn't really all that surprising. He's been hiding behind his lackeys for his entire career.

She and Bush are lucky. The same can't be said for the widows and orphans they have helped to create in Iraq. And, there are more than 4000 American soldiers who probably feel like Bush and Perino got off lightly.

So, Jim Brady took a bullet for Reagan and spends each day in a wheel chair and Perino got knocked down. Hmmmm. Yeah Dana, you're a real hero.

December 16, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. Adam

I do have to say that I'm happy to see that Iraq has arrived at a place where they CAN throw their shoes at our President. Where they can express their feelings and emotions without fear of being disappeared into the night.

However... he is responsible for his actions, and no matter how much others in the region agree with them, they were wrong. If the situations were reversed and we had done this to their leader, they would be clamoring for our reporter to be locked up. You can't have it both ways, and the rule of law should prevail. I'm glad he expressed his freedom and wasn't afraid to. That says a lot. But now he needs to face the consequences of those actions. And no, they probably shouldn't be very harsh, but there do need to be consequences or you end up with anarchy.

December 16, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

Instant karma! She's been giving the press corps a black eye for years...

December 16, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. PE Obama

You don't have to tell me it is dangerous to stand next to someone nobody likes...

December 16, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  10. ChickFlick

Hey Carol – Loosen up, you're showing your age!

December 16, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  11. BS not Maverick

Shes Hot!

December 16, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  12. sunshine

it's funny the american voters have been beaten black and blue all over and the republicans have tried their best to ignor them, but now this shoe incident gets their full attention.

December 16, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  13. Frank

Has it been determined as a fact that the bruise came from getting knocked down and not by Bush showing his anger at her not throwing herself in front of the shoes?

Wait. What am I talking about? Bush doesn't know how to fight. He proved that during Vietnam. Now, ask him if he knows how to drink, and that's a different story.

December 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  14. Steve

I would love to throw my shoes at Bush. I'd ,ake sure they were some heavy klonkers too. A real shame the reporter didn't hit him square in the beak. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out W. On the second thought!

December 16, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  15. HouseDiva

I love how Bush blamed the shoe tossing on "free society" he said it as if being free was a bad thing.

she'll be fine...I've gotten a worse shiner from a 2 year old...NO KIDDING!

December 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  16. Jeff

So there was a man who was arrested in an airport for having a bomb in his shoe.....

Now an angry Iraqi throws a shoe at the President and people on here applaud???

Your ignorance in this situation is exactly why people around the world in other countries despise Americans.

Whether you agree with our current President or not, this action is wrong and this man deserves some jail time.

December 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Super D

You people thinking this is funny are pathetic and disgusting.

I have a case of tomatoes ready for Pelosi and Reid.

Next time I see Bill Clinton, I'm throwing a fried chicken at him.

Obama is getting a pompous snotball, cuz that's what he is.

CNN POST THIS!

December 16, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  18. Frank

I'm surprised there's no backward "B" scratched in her cheek.

December 16, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  19. walleye

If all who despise Bush were to throw their Buster Brown's at him, 3/4 of the world population would be walking barefoot.

December 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  20. Jared

Funny, Tom.

Us Northeasterners think that you Texans are idiots. After all, you gave us Bush AND DeLay – two of the biggest morons ever born.

All of you need to wise up down there.

The GOP only helps rich jerks, nature-raping oil and gas firms and unethical businessmen.

December 16, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. deb in Colo

Where the heck was the Secret Service? I think that's the issue that should be investigated.

I'm not a Bush fan, and personally I'd throw a shoe at him, but what if that guy had a real weapon?

(and don't start with the metal detectors – the 9/11 guys managed to get past those with box cutters.)

December 16, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  22. Andy

Whether you like Bush or not, this is not how you treat a head of state. When idiots like Chavez come to New York they are treated with the respect that the office command, not the person.

I grew up in the shadow of the World Trade Centers. I hope all of you remember the support you gave for this poor excuse of a human being, when next time he hits your town with a plane or a bomb strapped to someone instead of a shoe. All these extremist in the middle east have fought and insulted each other for milleniums. They don't deserve peace, they don't deserve our help. Hope when they meet Allah, they find out its a woman and she is sending them all to hell.

For the idiot who mentioned that no shoe was ever thrown at Saddam Hussein, that's because if he had done so, he would have been sentenced to death on the spot.

December 16, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  23. Ed Word

How soon before she gets a high-level combat award for action in Iraq?

I'm glad she didn't get hurt any more that she did, but being near Bush is a risk in itself.

December 16, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  24. Steve, FL

It's nice to know, by the way, that al-Zaidi is currently being tortured because of this incident. I wonder what valuable information we'll be getting from him in the war on terror!

Free al-Zaidi.

December 16, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  25. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

Should have landed in her lying mouth.

December 16, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |