December 17th, 2008

Blagojevich talks: 'Hang loose'

Blagojevich said he wants to tell his side of the story.
Blagojevich said he wants to tell his side of the story.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Wednesday that he "can't wait to begin to tell his side of the story."

In the week since Blagojevich was arrested on federal corruption charges, there have been repeated calls for his resignation.

Although Blagojevich, 52, has not commented publicly on the charges, his lawyer Ed Genson said the governor had done nothing wrong and does not intend to step down.

"I can't wait to begin to tell my side of the story and to address you guys and most importantly the people of Illinois. That's who I'm dying to talk to," Blagojevich told reporters gathered outside his home.

"There's a time and place for everything. That day will soon be here, and you might know more about that today, maybe no later than tomorrow."

Asked what it is he wants to say, Blagojevich told the reporters to "hang loose."

Members of an Illinois House of Representatives panel met Tuesday to determine whether there is a basis to impeach Blagojevich.

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. sunshine

we already heard your side, remember the tapes.

December 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  2. No noose is good noose

For someone awaiting his fate, perhaps "hang loose" is not the most appealing prospect...

December 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  3. LIP

The people can't wait either to hear this one...it's got to be better than what Bill Clinton said when his career was on the line or he is going to lose his audience. Speaking of audiences, Jay Leno can't wait either, as he is already beginning to recycle his jokes about the governor.

December 17, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. Michael, Houston Texas

This is the same guy who said the day before he was arrested that he is not aware of any investigation and if the Feds want to tap his phones, go ahead he has nothing to hide. Now I'm not the law enforcement type, or a legal eagle but, if the Feds arrest you, release to the media that they have you making bribes via a wiretap, witness will to testify that you tried to muscle them, and you still act like you done nothing wrong, well all I can say is either this guy has to be the dumbest person ever to walk the face of the earth or he is setting himself up for an insanity plea.

December 17, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. karen

He's a rat!

December 17, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  6. karen-phoenix

IL has wanted to impeach this man for over a year and FEDS have been after him for over three years!!! He also HATES and is sooooo jeleous of Obama!! Obama has distanced himself from Blago since he first was in the Senate. Blago is a bit on the "crazy" side!!!

December 17, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. obama-mama

I have a feeling a lot of people are going down. This is like a suspenseful thriller. A lot of lives could be ruined when this all comes out.....

December 17, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  8. R.J.S.B.E.

If I were someone who was being wrongfully accused of anything, I would start telling my side at once. To me, his being closed-mouthed about it means he doesn't have anything to talk about.

December 17, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  9. James in Utah

I will take the stand that he is innocent right now. But I don't think the Feds would bring anyone up on charges as serious as these without a thorough investigation and some "i" dotting and "t" crossing.

We'll see.

The truth will make him free (spiritually).

December 17, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  10. Keith B in Macon Ga

I'll buy the guy a microphone if that's the only thing in between him telling his story.

December 17, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  11. grahame

Here we go. Spin City. I am amazed at the arrogance of this guy. He makes Sarah Palin look like a real honest person. On second thoughts that would be impossible.

December 17, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  12. PD

I think you mean "U.S. Governor hires a defense attorney. U.S. Senator ??

December 17, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  13. Retired Army in San Antonio

No noose is good noose December 17th, 2008 10:04 am ET

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Agreed!! Blago's days are numbered and he knows it!

But he's the type of SOB who'll try to take as many people as possible down with him........even if 'clean', he'd do it out of spite!

I'm so glad I don't live in Chicago anymore!!!!!!

December 17, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Hang this....

Blago is going away...PERIOD.

December 17, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  15. jaye

How many lies will he tell?
    After all, the tape recordings don't lie.
    Blojo is a bad man...a really bad man.

December 17, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. Marc in Virginia

Maybe he's going to out Obama...I'm not saying it'll happen but imagine that! Given all the charges against him, if Blago gets off, I'm sure it'll have something to do with the PE.

December 17, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  17. Spider

Michael, Houston Texas-

I've been trying to remember when the last time was that I heard of someone being found innocent of corruption by reason of insanity. I'm not a legal expert, but I don't think that's an acceptable plea for the crime of corruption. Murder, maybe.

This governor has been under investigation since he took office for prior dealings. He knew this. So, knowing he was already being scrutinized, he chose to use his home phone to discuss selling a Senate seat.

He is, by every definition, the dumbest person ever to walk the face of the planet.

December 17, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. mark

Sometimes it just takes a while to back track all the conversations and late night drinking parties you went to or had. So that the story your about to make up can kind of have some sense

December 17, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  19. Bob

The word "hang" is somewhat appropriate. I think we should bring back public hangings as the penalty for political crimes. Maybe then we might get some decent representaion out of these clowns.

December 17, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  20. Matt

I honestly think he shouldn't remain governor and that the things he was recorded as saying are pretty damaging, but the fact is there may not be enough to convict him of anything criminal. Why Fitzgerald rushed it is a question in need of answering as much as anything else. Was it political? Personal (he's about to have a new boss who might not keep him)?

December 17, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Godluvr

What a character!

December 17, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. Chris

Someone else said it... and I have to agree

"He makes Sarah Palin look like a real honest person. "

(and smart too, which is hard to do)

December 17, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  23. Annie the Democrat

I can't wait to hear his side of the story.....I bet every crooked politician in Illinois is quaking in their fake corrupted boots.

December 17, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  24. Media

Yeah, hang loose, after all he is a Democrat, politician and lawyer, from Chicago, Illinois!

December 17, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  25. Maryland Democrat

Because if I had my political career on the line ...
    ... and was standing to face the next decade plus in jail ...
    ... and was accused of the kinds of crimes that make people actually drop their jaws in surprise and disgust ...
    ... and had tangible, physical evidence that has gone public against me ...
    yeah, that's what I would do : WAIT to prove my innocence.

This guy makes no sense to me. Maybe he thinks if he just waits it out, it will all go away?

December 17, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |