December 17th, 2008

Blagojevich talks: 'Hang loose'

Blagojevich said he wants to tell his side of the story.
Blagojevich said he wants to tell his side of the story.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Wednesday that he "can't wait to begin to tell his side of the story."

In the week since Blagojevich was arrested on federal corruption charges, there have been repeated calls for his resignation.

Although Blagojevich, 52, has not commented publicly on the charges, his lawyer Ed Genson said the governor had done nothing wrong and does not intend to step down.

"I can't wait to begin to tell my side of the story and to address you guys and most importantly the people of Illinois. That's who I'm dying to talk to," Blagojevich told reporters gathered outside his home.

"There's a time and place for everything. That day will soon be here, and you might know more about that today, maybe no later than tomorrow."

Asked what it is he wants to say, Blagojevich told the reporters to "hang loose."

Members of an Illinois House of Representatives panel met Tuesday to determine whether there is a basis to impeach Blagojevich.

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. Really Now!

No doubt he has a great story to tell about Jesse Jackson Jr.

December 17, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. TJ in Memphis

If the governor did it, they should get rid of him. Blagojevic's departure may be politically expedient, but he needs to be given all the rights afforded to any U.S. citizen. After that, then get rid of him...

December 17, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  3. An Obama Supporter

Watch the press give credibility to this moron to keep the story going. A proven liar, detested by his electorate and caught on tape planning his scheme! Anything to keep the story going to avoid actually reporting and asking questions that most Americans are concerned about.

Why doesn't someone do a poll which rates this media blitz among the other concerns of the electorate??

December 17, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  4. obama-mama

Blago is getting soap to wash his filty mouth out and coal for Christmas in his stocking (along with a hair grooming kit for that tarantula on his forehead)

December 17, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  5. Mike Pittsburgh

Hey, where are the indictments of Sarah Palin, George Bush, and Dick Cheney. Surely with all these accusations and comparisons of Blagojevich to these folks on this and other blogs, there are indictments out there for comparison purposes, eh?

December 17, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  6. jaye

This crook needs to be in jail and away from the governors office.
    I can't believe nothing can be done to keep him away from the governor desk.

December 17, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  7. ch

Only the niave think that he did anything that isn't done every day.

He had something that people wanted (a Senate seat) and he was trying to make the best deal – one that would benefit himself and his career.

Let the process paly itself out – he deserves a trial and a jury to hear his defense. And that trial will put perspective on the snippets of the taped calls. If he is convicted – then he must leave office but why should he leave before that? So that the vultures that want his job can step in and do the same thing?

Let's all take a deep breath and hear both sides of this story. In the meantime, he needs to do his job for the people of my state of IL and so do these other elected officals who are doing nothing now but trying to remove him from the office he was elected and re-elected to by the people of the state of IL.

Chill!.

December 17, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  8. David Scott

This governor should be immediately impeached for his corrupt behavior and complete ignorance. It is evident by his behavior that he cares nothing about the people of Illinois!

December 17, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. R.J.S.B.E.

David on December 17th, 2008 at 11:10 am ET wrote:

"By the way, did anyone mention he is a democrat?"

That he is a Democrat certainly is not a good prospect for the party, but I've been studying politics a long time, and corruption falls on both sides of the spectrum. I have seen my fair share of both Dem and Repub corrupted officials.

December 17, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  10. DebM, Allentown, PA

What a narcissistic lunatic this guy is. Amazing.

December 17, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  11. Not in denial

Reguardless of how you may feel about Blago, as an American he still has a right to due process. He is at the very least a sleezeball and at the most a criminal but that is for the justice system to decide , not public opinion. Now with all of that said, RAHM IS GOING DOWN!
    If you think Obama won't through Rahm under the bus to save his own rear end , then you are in DENIAL!!!!!

December 17, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  12. Not in denial

I meant to say "throw" him under the bus

December 17, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. Wendy NC

I think he meant he was going to 'sell' his story...that's his style.

Most people know that Blago and Obama have had nothing but disdain for each other for years. Blago may 'out' some people but on the other hand members of Obama's team may have 'outed' Blago. Just something to think about.

December 17, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. Mesa Mick

"Hang loose"? It should be "Hang 'em high" – this clown is slime and to think IL voters put him in office!

Just goes to shows you just how gullable uninformed voters can be – something the republiCONs have know for years...

December 17, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. Greg in Columbus

Polly,

"All I want to know is if Obama is lying…again…lol…"

What was he lying about before? Please give proof and a link, don't just give wild accusations or what you heard on Rush

December 17, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Andy

I wonder who is sweating more, Blago or Obama? Can't wait to hear what he has to say, Get your popcorn ready!

December 17, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  17. daysi rivera

"If my boat is sinking, some famous folks has to join me into deep" Blagojevich.

December 17, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  18. Chas in Iowa

The tapes that have been released about say it all. I don't know what he would want to add.
    And as far as not doing anything wrong,....again the tapes. This guy has no clue what is right and wrong it seems.

December 17, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  19. Bill in Illinois

I believe that most of the residents of Illinois are frustrated beyond belief with Blago and his antics. He qualifies as a madman in my opinion. One cannot help but wonder if there is any relationship with Hitler there.

He does not listen to the lawmakers, holds bills and funding hostage and uses what he seems to think is executive privelage to destroy the work that our elected officials do. Illinois may never recover from this man and his egotistical ways. My fondest hope is that he will be able to share a cell with George Ryan, another of our outstanding governors.

We need a sign in front of the executive mansion – Help wanted, must be honest, able to take direction from your constituents and actually reside here, not waste taxpayer money by flying back and forth from Chicago every day.

December 17, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  20. John

David December 17th, 2008 11:17 am ET
    "Typical corrupt Democrat politician."

---------------–
    Yeah, when A democrat acts like a republican it is called corruption!

December 17, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  21. daysi rivera

Someone has to come with me. I am not alone in this...Blagojevich says

December 17, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. Sye the Pychic

I see a little black book with lots of names in it.I see a man calling in his markers.I see a man vanishing into the unknown.

December 17, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  23. Big Harv

I can't wait to talk, but you because I have this criminal thing pending everything thing I say can be used against me. Once I can talk, you will not believe the story I come up with. Let's just say that, I was an undercover agent for the FBI and I've been sent here to infiltrate the Chicago machine. You see, I was really fighting crime.

December 17, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  24. Steve, Columbia, SC

Yes, let's hear your side of this story Governor. Please give us the benefit of the whole story.

December 17, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  25. Viet Vet

Just resign-Then everything will go away
    That the way politics are. Why isn't Ted Steven doing the jailhouse rock ?

December 17, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |