December 17th, 2008

Kennedy not the clear favorite for Senate seat, poll says

New Yorkers are roughly divided on who they want to be their next senator.
New Yorkers are roughly divided on who they want to be their next senator.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests there is no clear favorite among New Yorkers on who they think should replace Hillary Clinton in the U.S. Senate - and despite the buzz over Caroline Kennedy, the soon-to-be-vacant Senate seat is not necessarily hers for the taking.

According to a new survey from Siena College, 26 percent of New York voters and 30 percent of New York Democrats favor another potential pick with a famous last name - current New York attorney general Andrew Cuomo, the son of former governor Mario Cuomo.

Some 23 percent of New York voters - and 28 percent of Democrats - want Kennedy to get the post. Nearly one in five preferred one of the othe Democrats often mentioned for the post, and another one in five had no preference for their next U.S. Senator.

The top two potential choices also have nearly identical favorability ratings - 58-21 percent for Kennedy and 59-24 percent for Cuomo.

"Both Kennedy and Cuomo have high name recognition among New Yorkers, and Cuomo has run for - and won - statewide office, which may help him marginally," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Since the poll was done before Kennedy's officially announced her interest in the Senate seat, it's possible her support today is a little higher than it was before her announcement. But ultimately, the choice will be made by the Governor, not the voters of New York."

But while New Yorkers may be roughly divided on who they think should be named to the post, 31 percent believe Gov. David Paterson will ultimately pick Kennedy compared to the 16 percent who say Cuomo will get it.

Filed under: Caroline Kennedy • Popular Posts
  1. Ed Chilton

And am I the only person who remembers the photographs of a young John Kerry – before he went off to war – snugged into the Hyannisport Kennedy sailing set and smiling with prognathian jaw set? This was also before he learned he was Jewish. Blow me down.

December 17, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. Iowa Mom

Actually Phil, she never changed her name when she got married. Only her kids have the hyphenated last names.

December 17, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. No Hillary = No Obama

Why should it be her's for the taking? I am sure there are several very qualified individuals, who have put in their time and are deserving to fill the shoes of Hillary Clinton. This is just another form of entitlement, no wonder she backed Obama.

December 17, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. Iowa Mom

December 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Sue

I'm not really sure about Caroline's qualifications for politics, but then again... I'm not sure what Hillary Clinton's are either.
    What is true however, is that our supposed democracy is having a very, very hard time attempting to cover up the fact that it is actually an autocracy.

December 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Gail

Please, No! Most of us New Yorkers cringe at the thought of Caroline Kennedy or Andrew Cuomo as Senator!

Gov.Patterson, please choose Rep. Carolyn Maloney or Anthony Weiner.

December 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Alex

Hey Avis,
    I'm with you on this one. This name recognition thing is getting out of hand. Just becauwe you are somehow related to someome who is a former popular President, does that somehow make you qualified for a Senate seat? Caroline is a very nice person, but that hardly qualifies her for a seat in the Senate. Hillary got lambasted for her alleged expectations of merely waltzing into the Presidency. How about applying the same standards to another Kennedy who has little background experience to prove she is qualified for this position.

December 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  8. ARL

Caroline Kennedy has some nerve asking for the seat of the same woman she slapped in the primary race when she came out for Obama. Think that's a mere coincidence? Gee, can't you just hear it? "Uncle Teddy, the kids are grown and I'm bored. Can you get me a job in politics?" This was a you-scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-yours plan from the get go between the Kennedys and Obama. After all, what qualifications did she have to be on Obama's VP vetting committee other than the fact that her last name is Kennedy and she has a whole bunch of relatives who are politicians? If she wants to go into politics, why doesn't she start at the bottom like the rest of the gang? Oh, I forgot–Kennedys don't have to start at the bottom or earn anything.

December 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  9. Ed Chilton

December 17, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. boscoe

Caroline endorses Barack. Barack tells Paterson to endorse Caroline. Quid pro quo.

December 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  11. JohnR

I am so very disgusted with politics these days and the general direction the majority of politicians are heading. Then comes this, because she has money, can fit into various social situation where other privileged people go why not make her a state senator. I always thought that people entered different political positions to represent us the American public, not to service their friends and relatives. Then because other Kennedy’s tell us she is perfect for the job then we should just agree and let it be. I am so very disappointed with this situation…For the first time in many, many years I was feeling good about a political appointment “Obama” and was thinking about how we have an individual who appears to be doing this for the right reasons…I hope I am not being fooled, it would not be the first time…I have nothing personal against Kennedy and I am sure she is a very nice person unlike the rest of the locals…you know what I am talking about, everyone does. I know this means nothing but it makes me feel better for a few minutes typing this…

December 17, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. Lauren

To Lisa V,

I hope your not serious. Caroline has not even been elected to a local school board or local county commisioner office.

I am not even going to debate Palins ability or quals. But Caroline has nothing on her resume but KENNEDY and a lifetime of avoiding the political scene.

Plus, she had to hire a high priced consulting firm to help her figure out how to get the job.

Listen, if all this country and New York want is STAR quality, then go with Caroline, but if we want substance outside of a high dollar education and a last name,, then go witht he other guy or gal.

Plus, lets be honest, what has Teddy Kennedy ever done that was REALLY that great. And what did Bobbie ever do? He got shot, that is the only reason he has the name recognition.

December 17, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  13. Lee

Funny how Ms Kennedy has never RUN for an ELECTED office, but now that an appointment is available - she's AVAILABLE?

Gimme a break - sounds a little like she somehow feels ENTITLED!

(I'd be willing to bet "the deal's been done"!)

December 17, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  14. Desiree

Just what we need...another Kennedy in office!! Enough already! Let's elect people that can get things done instead of having the same worthless families getting elected! I swear, some of the people in the Senate have to have the cobwebs knocked off in order to even stand up! I'm tired of all of them! We ALL need to be paying more attention to the people that we are electing as our lawmakers and another crooked Kennedy is not the answer!!

December 17, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  15. faye

I think Caroline Kennedy has alot to bring to the table. I believe her work speeches for itself and not the "kennedy" name and/or legacy. This is a very intelligent and educated woman. Hey, if Hillary was given this senate seat because of her husband's presidency; then let's be real about appointing someone who has a heart for Americans and has the background. I hope she gets the senate seat. I am thinking about writing a letter to Gov. Paterson about his appointment of the senate seat and I live in Florida. Hoping the best for you Caroline.

December 17, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. Dave in Atlanta

So which one is offering Patterson the biggest bribe. Because you know that senate seat is &%@! golden and he can't just give it away for &%@! nothing.

December 17, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. faye

I think Caroline Kennedy has alot to bring to the table. I believe her work speakes for itself and not the "kennedy" name and/or legacy. This is a very intelligent and educated woman. Hey, if Hillary was given this senate seat because of her husband's presidency; then let's be real about appointing someone who has a heart for Americans and has the background. I hope she gets the senate seat. I am thinking about writing a letter to Gov. Paterson about his appointment of the senate seat and I live in Florida. Hoping the best for you Caroline.

December 17, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. god bless usa

-–who cares!

all these people in the Senate do NOTHING for the rest of us....

they just have big pay checks , and that's all they care about ...

i have no faith in our systeam anymore.......

December 17, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. Samuel

"Kennedys, Bushes, Clintons, Rockefellers, and on and on. No one in any of these families have worked an honest day in their entire lives for decades!!!!"

The Kennedys have worked tirelessly to make America a better place. That is simply not true. Lumping the Kennedy family together with the Bushes and Clintons doesn't make much sense either.

"It's funny, all these years she has used her married name, now it's just Kennedy."

That is patently false. She retained her last name the moment she got married.

The apparent hostility towards Caroline Kennedy is surprising. Some people seem to liken her to Paris Hilton, while in fact she is an intelligent, hard working woman that would make America proud.

December 17, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  20. Diana Ewing NJ

All I have read were complaints... on her being appointed.... but anyone the NY Gov. picks will be appointed... sounds like Jealousy to me...
    I know she and many of the Kennedy's were raised to give back, believe she was inspired enough by Obama to come out and stop working behind the curtain.. She is intellegent, bright, accomplished... doesn't seem to have a big ego... to throw in peoples faces... Maybe that is what is bothering people..
    NYorkers will be lucky if she is appointed.... and I am sure she will hold her own and work to be elected again..

December 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Steve from Florida

Cuomo is a much better choice. He has more pertinent experience than Caroline Schlossberg.

December 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Matt

Please the only reason she is in consideration as opposed to the thousands of other well-educated, politically active, charitable New Yorkers out there with qualification equivalent to hers is because she has a last name that makes it easy for her to raise money.

If she is APPOINTED, it is a disaster for us Dems...mark my words. Let her run for ELECTION in 2010 and APPOINT someone that's not evidence of old-boys' network style nepotism.

December 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. Brian

No hope for America...Maybe we should just let Simon, Paula and Randy pick our nations leaders. "American Idol"...
    God help us.

December 17, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Rose

That is one of the problems with the Senate, people who are not qualified get the seat just because of their name. I do NOT believe that Caroline Kennedy is qualified to be a U. S. Senator but then I guess Uncle Teddy will help her along the way, I am sure he will be pulling some strings.

December 17, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. Ted, Washington DC

Como? No because he does more good as AG. Kennedy? No because not only she has not earned it but her expertise and experience is no greater than any of my pedestrian neighbors. She will not bring anything to New York and lets stop glorifying people who think they are entilted to more merely because they perceived themselves to be our aristocracy

December 17, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |