December 18th, 2008

Bloomberg declines to endorse Kennedy

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, pictured here in a 2004 file photo with Caroline Kennedy, has refused to back Kennedy in her bid for a New York Senate seat.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg declined Thursday to endorse Caroline Kennedy as Hillary Clinton’s successor, but added that he knows “exactly” who should be the next senator to represent his state.

But he wouldn’t give a name.

Bloomberg did praise Kennedy saying that “she’s very competent” and “she’s done a lot for New York City,” but added that he is not in the position to publicly endorse any prospective replacement for Clinton, who is President-elect Barack Obama’s designate for Secretary of State.

“I should stay out of the race, personally,” Bloomberg said during an appearance on ABC’s ‘The View.’

“It’s not my call. If it were my call to pick somebody, I know exactly …,” added Bloomberg, who was immediately asked “Would you pick her?”

“I can’t tell you, because then I’d be getting involved,” Bloomberg responded.

Kevin Sheekey, Bloomberg’s deputy mayor, is supporting Kennedy’s bid to be appointed to the seat by New York Gov. David Paterson.

Bloomberg also noted that Paterson is “lucky to have a number of different candidates” to consider for the seat.

–CNN Producer Shirley Zilberstein contributed to this report.

1. (Former) Lifelong Republican for Obama, Columbia, TN

I guess sweet Caroline is learning that many politicians are only out for themselves.

December 18, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  2. Pretorian

Good move–never place your money on a horse who has never been in a race.

December 18, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. LDVUONG

Good, the name Kennedy or Clinton or Obama does not mean "God the Almighty, all-knowing and all wise," the Savior of the world, automatically. We should consider job-resume, experience and past records.

December 18, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  4. David Minneapolis

I think that Caroline Kennedy is realizing that she waited too long to jump into politics. Ten, fifteen years ago, her father's name would have carried her into the office without a question. However, the Clinton's have come to own New York, a smart choice on their part after the White House. Hillary made it as First Lady, it's a larger leap from First Daughter to Senator. Also I think that New Yorkers are still bitter and clinging to their guns and bibles. They have resigned themselves to an Obama presidency, perhaps even two terms, but they will never forgive the 'race and gender' traitor Caroline Kennedy. However all those Hillarites should remember that Barack Obama is POTUS and Governor Patterson will appoint Caroline to the seat. This will in effect check mate the Clintons because after Secretary of State, what is HIllary going to do, run for President in eight years? Don't think so, maybe V.P. but in all truth, in eight years the political landscape will be so transformed that the Clinton's will be dinosaurs put out to pasture.

December 18, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. Matt

Good. Nobody should get APPOINTED to a job just because their name makes it easy for them to raise money. But if he thinks that this makes up for him skirting the will of the voters to get rid of his term limits, he's crazier than I first thought.

December 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. Dave

Hey my last name is Kennedy , just because I never had a real job, or been elected to anything, I really deserve to be a US senator!

December 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  7. IndyVoter

He probably wants Fran Drescher.

December 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. Sherrol in Canada

Wasn't he about the frist person that spoke out and said she'd be great, or am I missing something?

December 18, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  9. Erik in Real Pennsylvania

She's a bad choice. Andrew Cuomo has more experience in government, is a proven public servant, and should be appointed.

December 18, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. James

Good for Mayor Bloomberg.

He basically said she doesn't deserve it, which is true. Caroline only brings her last name to the table. She has not paid her dues to get a Senate seat. Besides supporting Obama, when has she campaigned for Democrats for local, state, and national politics?

Talk about the sense of entitlement this woman has.

December 18, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. A Woman In California For Obama

Caroline is much better off without this god of a man. Who cares who he endorses?

December 18, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  12. TCM

Let's see....if her last name wasn't Kennedy..would she even be in the news?
    Similar in nature to Obama. Had he been fully white, would he have been the MSM's love child and elected via a wave of corruption compliments of ACORN?>

December 18, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Maryland Democrat

To LDVUONG -

May I ask when has Kennedy, Clinton, or Obama called themselves that.

In fact, oddly enough, the first ones to call Obama the Messiah was the Republican Party.

No Democrat that I know thinks Obama is godly or flawless. Many of them criticize at least part of his platform, his ideas, his way of doing things, but they support him because they believe in more of his ideas than they do for any other candidate or politician.

December 18, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. Donna

Considering how Bloomberg is trying to run for a 3rd term, he isn't trying to alienate possible future allies....

December 18, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. Polar Bears Against Palen

I don't think Caroline Kennedy is right for the job. But, when is Michael Bloomberg going to go away? I'm tired of him and his ego.

December 18, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. No more misleading headlines

Enough, CNN. The headline should ready, "Bloomberg Declines to Give Any Endorsements". It's not just Kennedy that he won't endorse.

You had a similar headline a few days ago – something like, "McCain Won't Say He'd Support Palin for President". Duh. It's too early to endorse anyone for 2012! I hope he won't support her, but the point is that you're making things sound other than what they are with your headlines.

No wonder Americans are so misinformed. Some people read only the headlines. Don't mislead them.

December 18, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. Tony -- Nevada -- Independent

I thought Bloomberg's statement was very politically correct and gutless. He's a true politician. He knows who he would endorse but will not give the name publically. He obviously doesn't want to offend anyone or more likely he's trying to make everyone happy and at the same time protect his own political skin/future.

December 18, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  18. Citizen from NY

....and speaking of New York, regarding Gov. Paterson's tax hikes (obesity tax, soda tax etc.), which he said these taxes were good for our children (fighting obesity): I absolutely, 1,000% resent my government telling me what to eat and what not to eat, what to drink and what not to drink, what to smoke and what to smoke and even where and when I can smoke. Government has no place in what I perceive as personal choices which should be made by me and only me. Return that $32,000 (or whatever how many thousands of dollars) that rug costs, Gov. Paterson!

December 18, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. CH in Maine

What's the surprise here? Isn't he a Republican anyway?

December 18, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  20. mb

The word decline is too negative. The mayor just made it clear that he would not get involved. He also said that most people who take this kind of job is not qualified. I think the msm is into this whole process too much. Actually Caroline is just as qualified as the next person.

December 18, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. Linda, NC

LDVUONG... you forgot to include the name Bush to your list. Even that name got someone the job he did not deserve.

Caroline Kennedy should not be eliminated just because she is a Kennedy she should also be given a fair chance to contest for the post.

December 18, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  22. Give me a break!

Who cares what Bloomberg thinks...isn't he the same moron who wanted to extend his term limit and was shot down? Political greed...it just goes on and on...

December 18, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  23. EVERYMAN

Bloomberg wants it. What's the going price?

December 18, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  24. Jean2

Who cares????

December 18, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. David Dee

Good for him. As he said, it is not his call and it's not anyone elses either. Only the Gov makes the call. It is just ridiculous that she can be considered. I hope the Gov makes a wise choice of a qualified person.

December 18, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |