December 18th, 2008

Kennedy meets with Sharpton in Harlem

Caroline Kennedy had lunch Thursday in Harlem with activist Al Sharpton.
Caroline Kennedy had lunch Thursday in Harlem with activist Al Sharpton.

(CNN) – Caroline Kennedy spoke publicly about her desire to fill Hillary Clinton’s New York Senate seat for a second consecutive day Thursday, meeting with the Rev. Al Sharpton for lunch in Harlem.

The activist praised Kennedy as a "unique candidate," but would not say whether he supports her Senate bid. "I will trust the government’s judgment to decide what’s best for the state, he told reporters. "I won’t get into that.”

Speaking after the meeting, Kennedy - who largely steered clear of partisan politics until this year - described herself as “a Kennedy Democrat, a Clinton Democrat, Chuck Schumer, Barack Obama - I mean, these are all leaders whose values I share, and I feel like those are the kinds of values I would bring to this position.”

Sharpton and Kennedy met today in the same restaurant and sat at the same table where the activist met with Barack Obama during a presidential stop earlier this year.

New York Governor David Paterson will be appointing Clinton’s successor when Clinton leaves to serve as Obama's secretary of state.

–CNN Radio Correspondent Steve Kastenbaum contributed to this report

Filed under: Al Sharpton • Caroline Kennedy • Popular Posts
  1. Willy Brown

If this was republicans doing this you bed wetting liberals and democrats would be howling and the media would be hammering away night and day. BUT since it's a democraps, it's O- Tay spanky!

December 18, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  2. Go Kennedy!!

I would take caroline kennedy anytime over any washed up corrupted politician. She is no palin, she's got the brain and the right experience to be a senator. Helping people is the only experience that matters, not how long you've been helping yourself as a corrupted politician. NY is even lucky that she's willing to represent them. Any state would appreciate her, not because she's a kennedy, but because she's a great humanitarian. In the end that's all that matters period!!! If NY misses this opportunity to get a great rep. similar to Obama then you would be screwed for another 2 yrs. Good Luck!

GO Kennedy!!

December 18, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  3. kristina Dudley, Boston

It is probably a lot safer to get public approval than to get appointed by a Governor that may come up dirty later. Who's to say who the FBI will indite next.

December 18, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  4. S Dot

I do not care who is in Hillary seat as long as they meet or exceed the duties, responsibilites, and qualifications of the position.

I do not care about experience as much as I do competence. Is Caroline competent enough to do the job. While you're at it throw in reliable, a person of integrity, have you NOT been in a scandal in the past 10 years.

Don't you know experience nowadays is synonymous with corruption?

December 18, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  5. Matt

I suppose if she's not appointed she'll gather up her supporters and march on the Governor's offices? She's getting advice from Sharptonon how to put those things together...he marches on EVERYTHING.

December 18, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. Matt

@ Capt. Lightening

Why? Because too many people out there, including party leadership, think completely insane and retarded thoughts like "oh, she grew up in a political family so she's been around politics all her life...ergo, she must be qualified."

I suppose I'm qualified to be a doctor because my parents were medical professionals? Maybe the government should pay back my loans and forgive what's left since I was qualified to be a lawyer before law school by virtue of my uncles. I'll write a letter to Reid...he seems to agree with this line of reasoning.

December 18, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  7. imer

Why is it illegal for the Illinois Gov and legal for Kennedy to apply pressure on the NY Governor?

December 18, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  8. John

LOL...a Kennedy fighting for Americans? You really relieved the stress around here with that one. She does share values with a lot of murderous people though...especially murderous of those who are the posterity of America.

December 18, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  9. No incumbents 2010

Values? There's a stretch.

December 18, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  10. Fred R.

Caroline Kennedy has zero experience. She doesn't have the background in public service that is critical for a career representing the people.
    Next candidate please.

December 18, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. shs

Caroline may or may not be the best choice and she may or may not be appointed. But why do people think she is acting like she is "entitled" to the position? What is the evidence of that? If you want to be appointed, you have to let the Governor and the people know. That's really all she's done. Hilary displayed far more sense of entitlement to the presidency that Caroline has so far for the Senate seat. Caroline would probably do just fine if appointed, but so would several others.

December 18, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  12. JB

I find it hard to believe that Caroline Kennedy's qualifications are in question. She has excellent educational qualifications, she has a law degree, involvement with Harvards JFK school on public policy, is an author, has published on the US Constitution. Good writing skills come in handy for authoring bills for the Senate. Also people who are comparing Kennedy to Palin...give me a break, there is no comparison. It is like saying a Medical Doctor and a home health aide have same qualifications because they both work in a hospital.

December 18, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  13. Irritated in Fl

I'm sure it'll go to the highest bidder. Just like everything else in this country.

December 18, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  14. Jan Illinois

HELLO AL!!!! Where in the world have you been. We all knew that sooner or later, Much later in this case, That you'd show back up. Low and behold here you are in the flesh. I bet you have plenty to say now. We were starting to get really worried about you.

December 18, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  15. Tiff of lithia springs

Rachal,

I used to think that too. And you will until it's you or your family with who's been pounded over the head with injustice. Just ask Genarlow Wilson here in Georgia.

December 18, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  16. Sid

At least Sara Palin was a govenor. What public office has Caroline Kennedy ever held? I CAN'T wait until SNL's Tina Fey mimics Caroline Kennedy.

Oh wait, SNL and the media doesn't make fun of the Kennedys and Obamas...

December 18, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  17. J.C.

Caroline knew her first responsibility was to raise her children. After seeing how Princess Diana had died tragically and living her life after the White House, who could blame her? She has the right to eye for the NY senate seat just like everyone else. It's Governor Peterson's decision to select a senator.

December 18, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  18. Honey

Caroline Kennedy has no "formal" political background and neither did Hillary Clinton. Hillary performed well as the junior senator from New York and I have every reason to believe that Caroline will also

December 18, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  19. Natalie

If all of you believe so strongly then, please, get out there and try to do something yourselves instead of just complaining about everything.

December 18, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  20. Remy

Carolyn has many educational qualifications than other senators. Her experience is enough to serve as a Senater of NY. Her family is a political family originated from Ireland. If Bush could be a President, Carolyn is 1000 times better than Bush to become a senater.

Many Posters here do not know her works but differ because she is a Kennedy. Kennedy family had the wisdom to back Obama.

In my view she shoud be in the cabinet of Obama and not a senater! She should have been appointed to the job of Secretary of Education!

December 18, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  21. Brenda C

I find it interesting that Ms Kennedy is so into politics since she didn't find it important enough in the 2005 mayoral primary, 2002 general election, or the 1997 mayoral primary race. Most people that keep up with politics and care about who is going to lead their state normally vote. Being a Kennedy just won't fly to be a leader.

Stefan Friedman Kennedy's spokesman. "She has not voted on a handful of occasions over the last two decades."

December 18, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |