December 18th, 2008

Source: Obama picks Hilda Solis to head Labor Dept.

CNN has learned that Rep. Hilda Solis is President-elect Obama's choice for Secretary of Labor.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama has selected California Rep. Hilda Solis to serve as secretary of labor, a Washington-based labor official for a major union told CNN's John King Thursday.

Solis, a four-term Democrat from Los Angeles, is considered to be one of the most liberal members of the House. She served eight years in the California legislature and also worked in former President Jimmy Carter's administration.

Solis unseated former Rep. Matthew Martinez in a bitter Democratic primary in 2000.

Updated 2:15 p.m.

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. Ken

As long as she is against Amnesty for ILLEGAL ALIENS and putting the American citizens back to work, she will be OK. IF NOT, we will have a uprising of the legal citizens who need to get back to work first.

NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!

December 18, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. nom deplume

a great pick.

Unless you are an employer.

Or an employee of an industry on the edge.

Remember that giant sucking sound?

It's back.

December 18, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. nom deplume

Donna,

Why should we leave when we can fight?

December 18, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. J.P.

Niiiiiiiiice... A Jimmy Carter staffer looking to bring all that success and efficiency to a modern Department of Labor. I swear to God, it's like Back to the Future. Up next, "Stagflation."

December 18, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY OBAMA FANS,

ENJOY YOUR 4 YEARS IF IT LAST THAT LONG!!!!

December 18, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. billy-bayou

lonnette33:

"Hilda is respected among all the people" ... I'm not sure you posess the mental intellect to make such a stupid statement,must be something you heard from one of your wild-eyed knee-jerk liberal socialism loving friends. Is it possible that you got your education from Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dorn, Rashied Khalidi or Ward Churchill?
    Just some thoughts the comment brought to mind.

December 18, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. Bartlet

This is great for me, Solis represents my district and i am happy to see her in the Labor department. Now Mark CaPri(college bud) can run for the seat.

December 18, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  8. Joyce in Indiana

Joshua, I can't speak for Peggy, but not one time in the last eight years have I wished for Bush and the Republicans to fail. I have hoped and prayed that they would make well-thought-out choices, but I have been mostly disappointed.

Nothing is wrong with criticizing whom the President-elect chooses, or with criticizing decisions he makes when he becomes president. It is our sacred duty as citizens to make our voices heard. But to hope and wish for the POTUS to fail is supremely un-American. Anyone who does so should be ashamed

December 18, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  9. Debra Millenson

A Department of Labor that actually represents Labor - what a concept! I'd almost forgotten what it was like.

December 18, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  10. Peter (CA)

Hey billy-bayou,

"I'm not sure you posess the mental intellect to make such a stupid statement,must be something you heard from one of your wild-eyed knee-jerk liberal socialism loving friends. Is it possible that you got your education from Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dorn, Rashied Khalidi or Ward Churchill?"

What would possess you to make such a rude, ignorant statement? Are you a right winger? Pledge allegiance to Rush and Hannity?

December 18, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  11. Michael Shea

I don't know anything about Hilda Solis other than she is the most liberal person in congress. This is good as far as the survival of unions are concerned.

Unfortunately most liberals feel sorry for illegal aliens. I hope she doesn't feel the same way. When it comes to this issue I am a weatherman at heart. Being pro labor and pro-illegal alien are opposing poles.

I would have prefereed an anti-undocumented worker union president. Hopefully Hilda will do what's right and be pro-American worker and anti-free trade.

So far, although I am pro Obama and have supported him from the beginning, I am concerned that most of his cabinet and staff have come from the Clinton Administration.

At least hilda came from Carter's !!!

December 18, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  12. Seth

She is in favor of AMNESTY and benefits for illegal aliens.

December 18, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |