December 19th, 2008

Bush signs off on Clinton pay cut

Hillary Clinton's salary will drop to pre-2007 amount.
Hillary Clinton's salary will drop to pre-2007 amount.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush cleared the way Friday for Hillary Clinton to become secretary of state, signing a law that removes a potential constitutional barrier for the New York senator’s nomination by reducing her prospective pay as the nation’s top diplomat.

Congress voted in 2007 to raise the secretary of state’s salary by $4700. That move meant Clinton’s nomination was in conflict with Article I, section 6 of the Constitution, which prohibits members of Congress from raising the salary for a government job, then leaving the Capitol to fill the position themselves.

If she is confirmed, Clinton’s new salary will be $186,600 – less than the $191,300 now earned by current secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, but more than her current Senate salary of $169,300.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. John -- White Plains, NY

Its unfortunate that there are so many Hill haters out there. She has been a very successful Senator for NY, and will do a great job as Secretary of State. Public service is a thankless job, similar to all other public sector jobs....we appreciate her service...

What have you done today to make you feel proud? It's never too late to try...

December 19, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  2. Gen Patton

This piece of work should not be paid at all. IMO

December 19, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  3. Come again!

I can't believe my idiot boss makes more than Hillary....and they have to make the most important decisions in the world!

December 19, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. Me

Wow... seven and a quarter times as much as I make an hour (based on a 40 hour week)... and I'll bet I work seven times as hard as they do!

December 19, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  5. Carol

I sure she won't be hurting.
    I just hope she does the job she is supposed to and that is a fact.
    She had better keep an eye on her husband because I am sure he still likes to play around and with toys.

December 19, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  6. EVERYMAN

You get what you pay for.

December 19, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  7. Paul

Aww poor little millionaire has to take a pay cut.

December 19, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  8. BlueSpirit416

Hillary Clinton should get the same pay, for the same job as Condaleezza Rice was receiving for the position of Secretary of state.
    Seems to me this is a racial issue of Black on White. Plus Hillary Clinton will do a better job then Condaleezza Rice did. In fact I think Hillary should get more money. Or give the job to president George W. Bush so he can keep getting his cut on Oil and gas price gouging from his over sea's buddies.

December 19, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. But what about ....

Does that mean she will have to return the furniture she stole from the White House too?

December 19, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. John

Why do we pay a new person 10% more than the old one
    Regardless of qualifications, who in this day is getting a 10% pay increase.

They need to trim the government payroll, not add to it.

I am sure HIllary would still take the job at 169K

December 19, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. Jackie in Dallas

Useles rhetoric on all sides, on this thread. Get a grip, people. Better yet, get a life.

Calling our future President names makes you look 8 years old (which might be an overestimate of how old you really are). For all the fact that I dislike and have no respect for President Bush, calling him names just is futile. I'll just count the days until the inauguration.

No, I'm not naive enough to believe that I will jump with joy about every decision that President Obama makes as President. I don't particularly like his selection of Hillary as SOS, either, but I think she'll do OK. I'm not looking at him as the Messiah (we've already had one, thank you), nor am I following him like a lemming. But one thing I DO treasure about him is his intellect, and the fact that he has had the wisdom to surround himself with other smart people. Again, I don't agree with all his choices, but he's the one who has to live with them, so I'll let him get who wants and at least all the ones I know something about are pretty sharp.

The election is over. The country is in a major recession, and our economic future, and possible existence as a country is at stake. It is time to grow up, people, and start acting like adults.

December 19, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. Joe in NJ

"New York got one of the best U.S. Senators to occupy the seat."

Yes, Chuck Shumer. Clinton did nothing except ride Shumer's coat tail and use her Senate seat as a stepping stone to the Presidency which is what she wanted all along. Despite the fact that she detests Obama after the primary shenanigans, she's willing to accept Sec of State because she knows it's the highest position she'll ever achieve.

December 19, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. OMG

Bush is trying hard to improve his legacy as uniter nor divider ...or is it the decider (:-

December 19, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  14. Hillary Lover

I love Hillary and am obsessed with her.....please CNN keep following her every move I can't wait to see what she has to say and do next.

December 19, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. Jack Wu

If the rule becomes the politician's play-dough, what is the purpose of having this rule in the first place?

December 19, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  16. Gloria

WOW-that's the govt at work for you

December 19, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. ceci

Why aren't my comments appearing????

December 19, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. Gloria

that was sarcasm

December 19, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. rigso

Clearly for her the money is not what matters, but serving. I don't think she would care that much if she had to do it for free...

December 19, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  20. dave

I guess "change" included The Constitution. A great President, Ronald Wilson Reagan,(please don't call me a racist for using his middle name) had the sense to pick someone else for Secretary of State for this very reason.

December 19, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  21. Gloria

I LOVE HILLARY GIVE HER THE MONEY

December 19, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. John

People working for the public should not make that much money. How much do they get in benefits etc. this is just salary. Government is a good way to get rich.

December 19, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  23. tess

how do you new yorkers feel about hillary now? she moved there because it was the senate seat she wanted – then you were foolish enough to believe that she cared about you! after getting the seat (which was her spring-board to run for president) she left to go on her campaign and never looked back – she didn't need you anymore. when are people going to see the clintons for the self-serving con artists they are?

December 19, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  24. Neville Newman

Cheap trick. Technically, lowering the salary below that set by Congress does not make her eligible to take the position. Article 1, Section 6 says she cannot be appointed to that position until after her Senate term expires, if the pay was increased while she was in office in Congress. It was increased while she was there, and after-the-fact shenanigans cannot change that. It is picking nits, but that is why laws (and especially our Constitution) have very specific wording. Otherwise, they would just be general guidelines, and not binding.

December 19, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  25. Sherrol in Canada

I am always amazed as to the salaries of public servants, they seem so inconsequential, in the grand scheme of salaries (private sector).

December 19, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |