December 19th, 2008

Bush signs off on Clinton pay cut

Hillary Clinton's salary will drop to pre-2007 amount.
Hillary Clinton's salary will drop to pre-2007 amount.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Bush cleared the way Friday for Hillary Clinton to become secretary of state, signing a law that removes a potential constitutional barrier for the New York senator’s nomination by reducing her prospective pay as the nation’s top diplomat.

Congress voted in 2007 to raise the secretary of state’s salary by $4700. That move meant Clinton’s nomination was in conflict with Article I, section 6 of the Constitution, which prohibits members of Congress from raising the salary for a government job, then leaving the Capitol to fill the position themselves.

If she is confirmed, Clinton’s new salary will be $186,600 – less than the $191,300 now earned by current secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, but more than her current Senate salary of $169,300.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. Sign off on this.....

Rick Warren does not believe in gay rights but Obama says we need to hear him at the inauguration-

How about inviting someone (using the same logic) who does not believe in rights for blacks and we can listen to them too-

Obama is a fraud.

December 19, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. DX in TX

Loveable Liberal...I like you,
    Stick around, before long they will find away to link Barack Obama to the Holocaust. So many are looking to blame everyone else for their plite in life instead of taking responsibility for themselves.

December 19, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. AB

Looks like Hillary will be missing out on the raise that Congress is giving themselves during a recession while asking the auto industry workers to take a pay cut.

Kind of ironic.

December 19, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  4. David

Bluespirit416 –

You are the reason why freedom of speech is being abused.

December 19, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Tony in Maine

After reading the commentary here, most of which sounds like the belly slappers you can hear down at Mickey D's over coffee, I wondering if there isn't justification for reinstating the literacy test for voters.

December 19, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Jeff

I really hope someone brings this to the Supreme Court and they strike down this sort of extra-Constitutional manuvering. Art. I, section 6 clearly states that she cannot take this position. It does not say that it's ok to go and change the positions pay so someone like her can take the job. Since it does not say it, Congress, legally, cannot do this. But who cares anymore? The government hasn't cared about the Constitution since the Progressive movement.

December 19, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. mp

Good! How does it feel? You and your thief husband took a lot more than that from me!!

December 19, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  8. Joyce in Indiana

To those of you complaining about her "high" salary–

I want my elected leaders to be well paid to do a difficult job. If they are paid well, they may be less likely to take money from other sources that might not have the best interests of the country at heart.

That said, I'm not sure that the amount of money she will be paid for SoS is much at all compared to what others in the DC area are paid.

December 19, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. Matt

@ Scott W.

It wasn't the president's doing. Congress voted to reduce the pay. He just signed the bill. They've done it in th epast for Republican appointees because the Emoluments Clause is somewhat archaic and a reduction in the pay to the previous amount obviates the concerns the clause was intended to address.

December 19, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Texas Teacher

I do believe that Clinton will make an excellent Secretary of State! The money issues they will work out in their own time. Just as individuals everywhere do. I'm proud of PE Obama's choice of Hillary! :)

December 19, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. Matt

@ Scott W.

If you'd like to talk about Presidents ignoring the Constitution, however, I would suggest the fascist to start with is GWB and his Himmleresque sidekick The Cheneybot.

December 19, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. SMK

Since this country is in such a mess with the Recession and possible Depression. Why not have everyone in Government who has been there for at least 2 years+ take a pay cut to $1 dollar per year until the Country is back on track. Why are we paying these people this huge salaries to sit there and do nothing? I wish I could do that at my job. Show up when you feel like it, do an hours work in an 8 hour day and take a month's vacation and still have a job to come back to. These people are supposed to be WORKING FOR US, not themselves. We elected them to do the job and what do we get in return? A failing economy, Bail Outs to companies who screwed up for years and continued "not my fault" excuses for failure. When is the Government going to help out the people of this Country instead of looking out for number 1?

Why not have every American stop paying taxes for a year and see if that changes how this country works. Or give us, the American people a Bail Out. $10,000 dollars to each and every American who pays taxes. Allow us to spend the money to fix the country. We could afford to pay our bills and have money left over to actually "save" instead of living pay check to pay check.

December 19, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. Lauren

Bluespirit,

Come Monday morning, make sure you catch the bus to school, because your comments tell me you must be still in middle or grade school.

It has not one thing to do with race, read the constitution.
    If you had been reading the news all along back when Hillary was selected, you would have known this WAS discussed, and it WAS going to happen by law of the constitution.
    This is one of the things she had to consider before accepting the nomination as SOS.

And you know what, I am NOT a Hillary or Obama supporter. I did not vote for either one in the primary or Presidental elections. But I do have some understanding on how things work, I learned a few things back when I went to school, and was even smart enough to read the ENTIRE article and understand it,,,, to bad you mindless comments can not understand anything but hate and tossing hot topics words out like racism.

December 19, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  14. Greg

She is not worth 10 cents if you ask me, her new boss isn't worth a dime either.

December 19, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  15. Michael

Wow, 63 mostly childish and immature comments.....and counting.

December 19, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. Mick

I wonder if she could claim discrimination and get this reversed?

December 19, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  17. PULEEEZZZ!! lets tell some truth

WOW ALL of a sudden BUSH is looking at the CONSTITUTION!! my my. Dont strain your idiot brain you war criminal-anti-life-soon to be AN X PRESIDENT .. WHAT A PARTY one second after YOU ARE OUT!!!!!!

December 19, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. pablo

she aint worth it. she aint done squat as a senator. she should be paying the gov for the job. she's worthless.

December 19, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. cliff

I personally love the haters. They're like reading a comic strip but better. You know how every comic seems to have a brainless dimwit ramble on and then smack into a tree hahahaha and so on. Every Hater i've ever read has as much common sense as a stone. For instance, the haters who really believed the Supreme Court would hear the case about his Birth Cert when IT'S LISTED ON HIS WEBSITE. When HIS MOTHER is and ALWAYS has been a U.S Citizen. That automatically made him one. It didn't matter where he was born, though that was all pointless as he was born in the U.S anyway. Or the Haters thinking Hillary couldn't get confirmed because of her payraise. Like that hasn't happened in politics past. I believe CNN said it's happened numerous times and each time they got around it. Rep and dem alike. I've never seen in my life such unintelligent desperate attempts to defame a Pres Elect.

Go Hillary. Go Obama. Libs rule, Conservatives just plot to conquer the world.

December 19, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  20. Joe

Democrats spent 800 million dollars to win the presidency and Obama is their patsy. The Clintons strong arm Obama into appointing Hillary to a highly sensitive positive, which has been held by doctorates. Obama, Osama, I have to think about who's who. Obama comes to the presidency with more questions and past problems then accomplishments. The whole thing really stinks.

The Clintons have had their chance. They should just go home and get real jobs and stop acting like spoiled children.

December 19, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. Another Worker

BUSH OUGHT TO SIGN OFF ON HIS OWN PAY CUT. WE WORK WHILE HE GETS HOW MUCH EVEN AFTER HE RETIRES? MAYBE HE SHOULD TRY SOCIAL SECURITY LIKE THE REST OF US. THE MONEY GATHERS, ARE THEY AMERICANS?

December 19, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  22. Bubba, Sunnyvale, CA

Where can I see the voting record on this one? I am curious to see who voted against this change.

December 19, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. Indy

@lovable liberal

I grab a bag of popcorn and watch the show.

December 19, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. Gordon Shumway

Boy, I'm sure glad this humongous hurtle has been cast aside. I thought it might be a deal breaker, Bill coming clean on all the "contributions" he's received from all our "friends", and all............

December 19, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. thinkwithyourhead

I am continually amazed at how dumb most of the people writing these comments are. It's as though you have been swimming in a world of consipiracy theory spam emails your whole life. If you don't think the most powerful position in the President's cabinet is worth $186k per year, you are an idiot. $186k is a bargain for the intellectual capacity and prowess necessary for this position. She could sell one of her pant suits on Ebay for more money than that. Wake up dummies.

December 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |