December 19th, 2008

Blagojevich: 'I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated'

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich held a press conference Friday afternoon.
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich held a press conference Friday afternoon.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Friday that he is not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing and said he will not resign.

"I have done nothing wrong," he said at a news conference.

Watch: 'I will fight,' says Blagojevich

"I am dying to answer these charges. I am dying to show you how innocent I am," he said. "I intend to answer every allegation that comes my way. However, I intend to answer them in the appropriate forum."

He added, "I have on my side the most powerful ally there is, and it is the truth."

He took no questions from reporters.

Full story

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. deb in Colo

Bah, bah, bah....

Why don't I believe a word he says?

December 19, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  2. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

TED STEVENS SAID THE SAME THING!

BLAGO, STOP LYING AND GET A HAIRCUT!

December 19, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. Newport News, VA

Well the truth shall set you free Blago. Maybe next time you'll have your secret service guys scan the room for bugs.

December 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. Glenn in California

He sounds like Sen. Larry Craig, "I'm not gay and I've never been gay."

December 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. Krystal

Wow... good thing there was no lightning around that news conference... God may have struck him down... ha!ha!

December 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. Joyce

As an Illinois resident, I wish Gov. Blagojevich would resign. I have felt that way since the day he announced that he would not reside in Springfield, the seat of Illinois Government, but would stay in Chicago.
    If he wants to be governor, he needs to accept the responsibilities of thtt position. Wht if Obama decides he does not want to reside in Washington, but would like to stay in Chicago.\

There has been innumerable questions about Blagojevich's governing capabilities. He's all show and no substance. Please, Governor Blagojevich, if you really care about Illinois, resign!!!!

December 19, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. Sherrol in Canada

Blago just wasted everyone's time to say nothing. Talk about ego at work. In my opinion the only thing that came to light is that he may have a persecusion complex....his 'enemies' are out to get him.

The man even had the nerve to quote Rudyard Kipling!!

December 19, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. California Gold

I feel bad for his little girls. How awful for children to have to deal with the incriminating evidence that Daddy is corrupt.

December 19, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  9. naqib

He's stalling...
    Better spill the beans bud... Harris, Rezko or JJ Jr might beat you to the punch... the deal will only go to the first guy to turn.

Burn em all Blago... they turned their back on you... BURN THEM ALL

December 19, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  10. Charlie in Maine

"I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated"

Just when I was hoping that "the economy is fundementally sound" would be the stupidest thing said this year The Kin Gong of ILL comes out with this. Please resign sir. Yesterday would have been a good time.

December 19, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  11. Christy

Awwwww, I believe ya lil' fella. I just wanna pat you on that big bushy head of yours.

December 19, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. Herby Hubelheimer

Blagojevich saying "I have done nothing wrong" is like Randy Cunningham saying "I feel very confident that I haven't done anything wrong." and Richard Nixon saying "I am not a crook" and Ted Stevens saying "I'm innocent."

December 19, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. S@ndr@, Oregon

This guy is as crooked as they come, he should plead out and leave quietly and save the embarressment fo rhimsefl. Prior to this scandal I seriously doubt he would've gone beyond governor despite his higher political aspirations so if he could get over that dillusion he would probably step down and do whats right.

December 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. GA Independent

So this is the long-awaited speech? What a fool. He needs to resign. He's a giant joke, worse than GW!

December 19, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. Milhouse van Houten

He has"the truth"on his side?I thought Carl Williams retired from boxing.

December 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. karen-phoenix

Joyce: Thank you!!! I grew up in IL and my kids still live there. Blago NEEDS to resign!!! When my daughter told me he would not even move to Springfield I thought this man is not for ALL of IL!

December 19, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. Brad - California

Yeah, right... he has the truth on his side! He's a lying pig just like the rest.

December 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. libbssuck1

The media always convicts the innocent before they are found guilty, let the courts decide, not the moronioc lib media freaks!

December 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. Fritz

It is time for Blagojevich to answer the questions and discuss these issues openly. The appropriate forum is not waiting for a court trial – which he somehow suggests is the appropriate forum to speak to the Illinois electorate. Blagojevich does a great disservice to the citizens of Illinois. We cannot afford a lengthy process with everything facing Illinois and the rest of the country. The Ryan trial took forever and was a pox on our state. If Blagojevich is innocent, he should at least begin to state his case (if not precluded by the DoJ). If Blagojevich is guilty, well, it is better that it come out sooner rather than later.

December 19, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. Anni

He won't resign?!?
    I agree with him.
    It's 'Unchicagoan' to do so.

December 19, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  21. Once you vote Black

This guy may not have done it. How do we know the reports are even true. Perhaps it was in poor taste but legal. This guy may have a point.

December 19, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  22. Cindy

Let the games begin...

December 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  23. Fritz

Is Blagojevich sane?
    He wants the opportunity to tell his story and claims he is dying to tell his story, but then says he will only speak in a court of law.

December 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  24. Art Vandalay

Ughhh go away! And get a haircut...you look ridiculous!!!

December 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  25. VU

So, we ALL self righteous souls were wrong, and quick to condemn others?

December 19, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |