December 19th, 2008

Blagojevich: 'I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated'

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich held a press conference Friday afternoon.
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich held a press conference Friday afternoon.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Friday that he is not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing and said he will not resign.

"I have done nothing wrong," he said at a news conference.

Watch: 'I will fight,' says Blagojevich

"I am dying to answer these charges. I am dying to show you how innocent I am," he said. "I intend to answer every allegation that comes my way. However, I intend to answer them in the appropriate forum."

He added, "I have on my side the most powerful ally there is, and it is the truth."

He took no questions from reporters.

Full story

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. Fritz

Is Blagojevich sane?
    He wants the opportunity to tell his story and claims he is dying to tell his story, but then says he will only speak in a court of law.
    Does he know the difference between right and wrong any more?

December 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  2. JJ

It will be interesting to see how he will prove his innocence when he's on tape.

December 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  3. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

You never win a chess game by resigning. Until he hears "checkmate" and his final appeal is denied, he will soldier on, to the detriment of the People of Illnois, some of whom were dumb enough to give him this opportunity.

December 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  4. mmd

In the meantime, lets discuss palin and the inlaws, who were arrested today on several illegal drug charges. I had read several articles about palin's son and bristol being drug addicted. I dimissed those articles. But when you have levi's mama selling drugs and just got caught sometimes those articles that seem way out are on target. If reporters, etc. from out of the small populated state of Alaska knew about drug abuse involving PALIN, HER KIDS AND THE HANGOVER LOOKING FIRST DUDE, how in the HE>> did'nt the queen of Alaska know. Do you think she was high up until mccain found her, washed her, dressed and sobered her UP.

December 19, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. Chuck

It is a shame that people who are caught red-handed or on tape will not give it up for the sake of the people.

December 19, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. Kevin in Ohio

Al Capone proclaimed his innocence as well. Par for the course in Chicago's political achine environment.

December 19, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  7. conservative

Heeey ! Joey the snitch told me to do it !! Think he's a Republican !!

December 19, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  8. Tony

Considering the state this loser is from, its no wonder that these things are happening. Its business as usual in Illinois.

December 19, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  9. mark

bob long's new cartoon sketch about obama and blagojevich, should be the cartoon of the year... Hilarious :D

December 19, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. chuck

I'M NOT SURPRISED AT THE WAY THIS BEAST IS OPERATING.THIS IS A TYPICAL SERBIAN'S BEHAVIOUR. THIS MAN IS DEFINITELY A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR.

December 19, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I'M SURE ILLINOIS WILL HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG WHEN THEY IMPEACH BLAGOGARBAGE. HE EARNED A 13% APPROVAL RATING PRIOR TO THIS AND IT MUST BE AT 0% NOW. I'VE NEVER HEARD OF A LAME DUCK GOVERNOR.

December 19, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  12. Bill Charlotte,NC

Illusions of grandeur + Blago = Nut case

December 19, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  13. rawnasty

Blagojevich... they have MAD evidence on you, my dude. There is no way in hell you can even flip this situation to your side unless you are one hell of a liar.

Truth is already out. Nothing else for him to do but lie. Lie like no other.

December 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  14. Vic

And I thought his hair was the proof that the crap went to his head. Little did I know that he would open his mouth and prove it beyond any reasonable doubt.

December 19, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  15. Dink

Of course telling his side of the story "when it is appropriate" is another way of saying me and my lawyers need time to figure out how to muddle the facts and bring as many people into the mud slinging as possible so that things might not go forward.

If he were innocent, he would have provided answers already......how stupid does he think we are?

December 19, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  16. grahame

The Truth? You Can't Handle the Truth.

Never was a truer word spoken.

December 19, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. Shree Shrestha

By not resigning, Blago is giving a big headache to Obama.

December 19, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  18. S Callahan

I'm sorry..had to sneeze....What did he say?

December 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  19. Thomas

The best Govenor money can buy !

Rod Blagojevich is not Charles Bronson.

December 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  20. Mandrake Mordavai

I have followed this since the first speculation that he may have been performing criminal acts. I can only say two things in regards to this. 1. I find it appalling that he can say with total conviction that he is innocent and has done no wrong given the amount of evidence that has surfaced pointing to the contrary.

2. I find it even more appalling that he refuses to step down now and save face. By doing so I would suggest to the judicial system that if he is found to be guilty that all of the trial expenses as well as any lawyer fees for both the prosecution as well as the defense be paid out of his own pocket. Do not let the people of Illinois hard earned tax dollars go to pay for his trial. To allow state tax dollars to be spent on this is not only a financial slap in the face of the tax payers. It would also turn out to be a mockery of justice and and judicial system.

December 19, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. Matt

If Blagojevich did indeed try to sell the seat and meddle with the Cubs deal, then he should resign but I am still trying to figure out what criminal action he has actually committed. I believe Governor Palin up in Alaska was found to try to get someone fired and actually did get them fired but she has not been arrested.

I do not think Blagojevich is a moral man and I think he should resign, but we as Americans should let the legal process tell the story. We are so quick to condemn someone even when the investigators have charged him with attempt, not actually doing it. I for one am interested in seeing how this plays out and I would hope everyone else in this country would still like to be innocent until proven guilty if they get charged for something. Calm down people.

December 19, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  22. Louis

If he is found innocent, all those who rushed to judgement should be ashamed. However, if he is just another guilty low-life scum politician who pleads innocent while wasting taxpayer dollars with a drawn out investigation, he should be severely punished with jail time.

December 19, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  23. Redneck from S Illinois

What a lying jerk! This guy is dangerous and NEEDS to be behind bars!

December 19, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. lonnette33

Blago was cool as a cucumber. Either he is delusional or the case aganist is extremely week. Time will tell.

December 19, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  25. dave

It's a sad truth, but most politicians don't have a clue between wrong and right. From the Illinois governors statement, he see's nothing wrong in using his position to create additional wealth and security for his family. In fact, I read the transcript, he and his wife agree, that's how Illinois politics is done. And if you watch the Untouchables, he is certainly feeling he has a part. Sad but true..... he feels he's right

December 19, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |