December 19th, 2008

Blagojevich: 'I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated'

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich held a press conference Friday afternoon.
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich held a press conference Friday afternoon.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Friday that he is not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing and said he will not resign.

"I have done nothing wrong," he said at a news conference.

Watch: 'I will fight,' says Blagojevich

"I am dying to answer these charges. I am dying to show you how innocent I am," he said. "I intend to answer every allegation that comes my way. However, I intend to answer them in the appropriate forum."

He added, "I have on my side the most powerful ally there is, and it is the truth."

He took no questions from reporters.

Full story

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. Me

Cant stand to even look at the pompous little wuss.

Talk about being self-absorbed.

December 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Peejay

Someone had better let Genson know there's no such thing as illegal wiretaps in this country anymore.

December 19, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. John

Wat to go A Rod, don't take this lying down! Innocent until proven guilty, let the man have his day in court if there are any charges against him.

I wonder did the DA rush to judgment here? Heck, we even gave Larry Craig the benefit of the doubt until he pleaded guilty.

December 19, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. DWoods

This low-life can say what he wants. But even without the Obama story, the Chicago Tribune story, and the board position for his wife, my thoughts return to what he threatened to do to a "children's hospital". He wanted to keep funding from helping ill children to a more healthier lifestyle. It is bad enough when people are hurt. But when you intentionally hurt the handicap, mentally challenged, seniors and children you have crossed the line. The Chicago Hospital story is enough to boot him out of office yesterday!

December 19, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. Mandrake Mordavai

Well sir I say to that. You are the one person who is supposed to be a servant of the people of the state of Illinois. The people you serve (your employer) want to hear your side of things. The appropriate forum sir is to address these allegations in a public forum not in a court room where the people you serve can only get the information second hand. Once the people have heard you address these accusations then you can defend yourself in the appropriate forum which would be the judicial system.

December 19, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  6. aware

So, we will soon have Chicago politics in Washington! :(

Why pick on Blago?

December 19, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  7. JeromeK

Bush hasn't resigned despite murdering 4000+ Americans now has he? So why would anyone expect blago to resign

December 19, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. Jason S

I think unfortunately he will not be found guilty which will vindicate his "complete innocence". MONEY was never exchanged so it’s all just “talk” according to his lawyers. The attorney general needed to wait for a money exchange to happen regarding the senate seat to get Blago. The argument is going to made that it’s “just talk”. That the governor likes “to talk” and he “talks a lot”. He’s playing the victim card and it’s pathetic. The AG pulled the trigger too soon.

December 19, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  9. John from SC

HE IS NOT LYING!!!!!!

(it is not lying if you fully believe that you know the truth)

He is just horribly horribly horribly mistaken, and maybe a little (read very) psychotic. I hope Illinois hurries up and impeaches him, and forces him out of office... that will end his carreer, a resignation will leave it open for a future opportunity.

December 19, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  10. Sherrol in Canada

Blago just wasted everyone's time to say nothing. Talk about ego at work. In my opinion the only thing that came to light, is that he may have a persecusion complex….his 'political enemies' are out to get him.

The man even had the nerve to quote Rudyard Kipling!!

December 19, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  11. DC Observer

Well, thank God the Governor cleared that up for all of us. He should now go about the business of appointing the new IL Senator --- Now, who will start the bidding off?

December 19, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. Ian Minneapolis, MN

What a snake, he knows what he did, and he knows he's going to get away with it. Look at that smug smile on his crooked face. What waste of space.

December 19, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. aware

Rahm and Blago need to sing a duet! :)

December 19, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. That Other Jerry

It is a sad thing to watch a person lose his mind in public.

December 19, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. indy

Dude, your nuts

December 19, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. DC Observer

The IL Governor has done nothing different than what every politician is DC does every day through the paid lobbyist system that runs this country. We saw an example of this the other day when Senator Dodd, Chairman of the Senate Banking Commission, said he has been unable to get a much needed credit card reform bill out of his committee "because of the strong opposition by the credit card industry" Now, I do not know about you folks, but I did not think that the "Credit Card Industry" had a seat on the Senate Finance Committee. And if you look as the millions of dollars that Dodd and others have gotten from the credit card industry, then you begin to understand what is happening every day in DC.

December 19, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. Annie, Atlanta

I wish our politicians could be tested before running for office to make sure they aren't sociopaths.

December 19, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. CanIcallyouJoe

He added, "I have on my side the most powerful ally there is, and it is revisionist history."

Fixed that for you.

December 19, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  19. Chi4Obama

It has always been an unwritten rule, that you have to "PAY TO PLAY" in Chicago politics. So this is not a surprise.

Gov. Blago. is not the first politician to exercise this notion; and certainly won't be the last. His actions have just been magnified on a national level, since they indirectly tie back to our President elect.

If the Feds truly wanted to clean up Illinois politics, they would probably end up arresting about 75% of the Politicians in Chicago.

Sad, but true.

December 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. DJ

Matt, are you kidding? The guy tries to sell a Senate seat, and you say, 'no big deal'? Wow ...

December 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Suzi

He is using legal terminology saying he is not guilty of "criminal wrongdoing." Is there a lawyer in the audience?

Does his statement mean he hasn't been CAUGHT actually following through on the the illegal acts he talked about? If so, that's pretty interesting because he created enough suspicion to be investigated for three or four years. What's that all about? And why would he refer to candidates by number instead of name if he thought he was talking in private in his office or on his phone?

Can he step aside until this is resolved? Illinois government will limp along if he doesn't, but all of his actions now come under suspicion and he is not capable of governing effectively because of that.

He certainly is innocent of criminal charges until proven guilty in a court of law, but the recorded statements are pretty clear - and his statements show intent and desire to commit crimes.

Harris resigned. Why would he do that if he wasn't making a choice to take himself out of office due to the nature of the charges and because he recognized that he was recorded?

I'd love to hear from a lawyer.

December 19, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. Kevin

He's innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.

December 19, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. Chi4Obama

So I wonder if this will hurt Chicago's chances, of winning the bid for the 2016 Olympic Games :-(

December 19, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. Get over it

Blagojevich: 'I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated'

In his dreams!!!

December 19, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. Joseph IRAQ WAR VET

Innocent until prooven guilty is one thing, but the guy was caught on tape threatening people if they didnt give him money or his wife a job, in return for things the office he holds can provide. Weather by the law he committed a crime or not it doesnt matter, he at the very least acted immoral and said things unbecoming of a public servant. Never once did he apologize for his behavior. He should be so ashamed of the things he talked about on that phone, that an apology to the people was in order, not making counter accussations against others.

December 19, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |