December 19th, 2008

Blagojevich: 'I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated'

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich held a press conference Friday afternoon.
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich held a press conference Friday afternoon.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Friday that he is not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing and said he will not resign.

"I have done nothing wrong," he said at a news conference.

Watch: 'I will fight,' says Blagojevich

"I am dying to answer these charges. I am dying to show you how innocent I am," he said. "I intend to answer every allegation that comes my way. However, I intend to answer them in the appropriate forum."

He added, "I have on my side the most powerful ally there is, and it is the truth."

He took no questions from reporters.

Full story

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. Larry from RI

Hey Blago – It's time to go!

Seems we just heard this crap from Sen. Stevens too!

Perception is EVERYTHING and you have the stench of corruption all over you and on all you have touched – do the right thing and step down.

December 19, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. Irritated in Fl

OMG!~ Does this guy really think the American people are going to fall for his BS? It just goes to show you how corrupt Chicago politics are. He hasn't been impeached yet. He should have been gone already. Gotta love Obama and his fellow Chicago breathern.

December 19, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  3. Numble

What a... whatever word I use would be censored.

December 19, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Lost in Texas

ok he said he didn't do it so can we move on from this story and deal with other problems in the country? I mean you DO believe him right?

December 19, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. Carramia

I agree with Joyce. We were had the moment Blago announced gee Im not going to the governors mansion. this guy is a nut and I never voted for him

December 19, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  6. Thomas

This guy represents everything that is bad in American politics. I could care less if he will or will not be convicted of a crime. What he did is unacceptable. The fact that he does not recognize that and refuses to do the right thing and resign just further proves his true character. Good luck Illinois.

December 19, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. Lawyer To The Rescue

What he is saying is "code" for "I have a technical legal defense and will therefore be acquitted." Maybe he'll claim the wiretaps were illegal. Maybe he'll claim entrapment, like Marion Barry. Let's just hope that he gets impeached in the meantime. The citizens of Illinois are entitled to a governor that can effectively govern, which Blago cannot after being caught selling senate seats on tape. And we all are entitled to have a replacement for Obama's senate seat appointed properly and promptly.

December 19, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. mike,texas

Another OJ.Take the deal ,quit or go to prison.Of course his choice will be the same as OJ.

December 19, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. GuyInVA

He says he's innocent. Whew. That's a relief. For a minute there, I thought he might give career politicians a bad name. Go about your business people. Nothing to see here. Seriously, the sad thing in this and every other political story is that so many people believe that there are politicians worthy of our trust. Too many people believe that politicians care about their constituents, and that they have any goals other than power. I believe Alan Keyes said (to the best of my memory), "When politician became a profession, we began to lose the republic."

December 19, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. ran

If he is found guilty he needs to be put in jail for life.

December 19, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  11. Jero in The Netherlands

He completely lost his credibility as governor of a state. Therefore you can not faithfully execute the office of governor. He should resign or be impeached but he should not be governor anymore. Let the Lt. Governor take over so the 'normal" things can be run again. And do this trial behind the scenes! Even if he hasn't done anything wrong (which i doubt because their is much evidence pointing in his direction) he is seriously marked by this affair and with that mark you can't do this job rightfully.

December 19, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  12. James Ibhahe

Yes dude you will be vindicated, just if in the same way O J was from his act may be you too might be from your act,

December 19, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. jack.florida

He's just like the republican party,done and dosent get it.

December 19, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. No incumbents 2010

Perhaps he will bribe the judge and get off. It is Illinois we are talking about.

December 19, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. Ken in NC

'I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated' should have read,

"I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated I hope"

December 19, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  16. V. Wall

Yea, and Nixon said the same thing when he was President " I am not a crook"; he was so sure he was innocent. Well, Gov. "B", I hope they throw the book at you.....

December 19, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. Miss Mellie

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? The man has not yet had his day in court. Just like in any other case, I don't think we should be so quick to judge without having all the facts and both sides of the story.

December 19, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  18. voter

I get excited when corrupt politicians get fired.

Come on... gimme something =)

December 19, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  19. V. Wall

To "jack.florida" Yea, but see he is a Democrat and trying to get away with what he's done. Crooked like the rest of them!!!!!!

December 19, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. H.C AND O.B supporter for life...

He must be on crack to think he is going to be vindicated! Im am a democrat to the fullest but lets be real here. As long as he keeps Obama out of his statements i have no concerns!

December 19, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  21. Leslie Somerville

Ya right-??????? Last breath eh? Ok then.....................................

December 19, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. Cori from Colorado

He'll pay off the judge, and whoever else he needs....that's the only way he will be vindicated. You know what they say, once a crook, always a crook.

December 19, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  23. He's A Birdbrain

Ho hum... next.

Maybe he wants to wear a nest on his head because he's a birdbrain.

December 19, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  24. Huff, NV

You aint nothin but a hounddog...cryin all the time....

December 19, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  25. Elvis Is Still In The Building

Thank ya, thank ya very much.

December 19, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |