December 22nd, 2008

Biden has some sympathy for Bush - but none for Cheney

There’s no love lost between Biden and Cheney.
There’s no love lost between Biden and Cheney.

(CNN) – Joe Biden says he has some sympathy for George Bush after the president became the target of a shoe-throwing Iraqi journalist – but the Vice president-elect struck a tougher tone on Dick Cheney, the man he is set to replace.

“It's presumptuous to feel sorry for another man,” Biden told CNN’s Larry King in an interview set to air Monday night. “But I feel somewhat – I feel somewhat badly for him. I think the incident in Iraq was – was unfortunate, that guy throwing the shoes. It was just – it was just uncalled for and was – I think that President Bush and, unlike Vice President Cheney, is, upon reflection beginning to acknowledge some of the serious, if not mistakes, misjudgments that he made.”

Watch Biden on CNN's Larry King Live tonight at 9.m. ET

It’s the latest in a series of swipes between the current vice president and the man who will replace him, and stands in marked contrast to the largely complimentary comments President-elect Barack Obama and Bush have traded since Election Day.

Biden – who referred to Cheney during the campaign as one of the most “dangerous” vice presidents in U.S. history – told ABC Sunday that Cheney’s opinions on executive power were “dead wrong,” and had not been healthy for the country. He pledged to “restore the balance” between the president and vice president.

Cheney himself told an interviewer Sunday that "if [Biden] wants to diminish the office of the vice president, that's obviously his call."

In response, the vice president told FOX News that "if [Biden] wants to diminish the office of the vice president, that's obviously his call. President-elect Obama will decide what he wants in a vice president and, apparently, from the way they're talking about it, he does not expect him to have as consequential a role as I have had during my time."

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. AJ

There should be no pity for Bush; he is an arrogant egotistical narcissist who put this nation on the path of financial ruin.

December 22, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. Carl Justus

I think Biden is very forgiving to feel sorry for Bush and I would count that as being very Christian.
    I do not feel sorry for either of them, they both lied constantly in my opinion and that does not set me well with God I guess, but that is my feelings.
    They have almost run this country into bankruptcy and neither of them think a thing about it, they do not care, at least they act is as if they do not care.
    Bush could have raised the income tax on the richest 1 percent and they would never have missed and it would have helped tremendously to defray some of the debt.
    First, if they had been smart enough and knew a little histroy they would never have sent troups into Iraq. That really hurt us economically.
    If they had just remembered the problems Russia had going into Afghanistan, which almost run them into bankruptcy, and here repeat the same mistake in Iraq. It they think that Iraq will be a democracy in 5 to 8 years from now they are living in fantasy land.
    Both should have been impeached and run out of Washington in tar and feathers.

December 22, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  3. Alan

"Gen Patton December 22nd, 2008 3:00 pm ET

Shut up while you are ahead Joe.

Mother: what consequenses?
    Mari: shut up
    Former Repub: France is calling you traitor.
    Dee: He doesn't know how to shut up.

Going to be a fun 4 years. I can't wait until they are humilitated."

I certainly know you're not the REAL Patton. He was a patriot. You apparently are ready and willing to watch the entire WORLD collapse, to enjoy seeing candidates you wish weren't in office fail.

Get a grip on reality...we do NOT have four more years to keep rolling along the way things have been. PERIOD. Whoever is in there trying to clean up this mess had best be able to or you, poor Patton sir, will be begging for tobacco for your corncob pipe.

December 22, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. JA/TN

Bush proceeded with deep conviction of his antics, you should stay at home if you aren't ready for the highest office in the land, mayif you are given much, much is expected, both were evildoers

December 22, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. S Callahan

At least Pres. Bush has 'humbled' himself by acknowledging some (many?) mistakes......I guess living inside a protective enviroment for eight years can make one blind to the real truths going on outside.

It's just downright arrogance of Mr. Cheney to speak harsly of VP elect Sen. Biden. I like Joe Biden..and I think he can hold his own with Cheney....

December 22, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Tim

I wouldn't throw a perfectly good shoe at Bush, but I'd sure take it off and wave it at him.

And OBTW, my ancestors came here in the 1700's and I've served my country honorably in the USN. So, Jay if my shoe opinion makes me un-American in your eyes, I just pity you.

December 22, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  7. Rick from Murfreesboro, TN

I can have no sympathy for either of the two incompetents who are leaving office (but not soon enough) on Jan. 20. That will be the real New Year when we boot out the old and welcome in the new.

December 22, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. carl

Those are the same "heroes" who stone women! !! We've traded our blood and treasure for their newly acquired freedoms. They can torpedo our pres while we can't say Merry Christmas. Oh, and while you're all singing praises of the shoe thower, don't be too shocked when a bomb goes of in a mall near you! You asked for it!

December 22, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. Conservative James, Phoenix, AZ

How about feeling sorry for us Americans that had to endure 8 years of those two inept, incompetent clowns???

December 22, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. john

isnt there a world court tribunal to punish individuals against crimes of humanity i.e iraq

December 22, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. Joe Fattal

Joe Biden has no place to be talking about Bush or Chenney. After they both leave the white house who do we have for president or VP?no one. All the exitment about Obama, is because he is the first African-Arab-American for president. Joe Biden, he is going to be all by himself, learn to duck for every thing the media going to throw at Mr. Obama.

December 22, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. Mecrob

@Kevin in Ohio:
    "Bush was the RIGHT man at the right time…. can anyone really say we would have not had several 9/11's by now if Gore had come to power??? "

Of course no one could say that we wouldn't have had several '9/11's' by now if gore had come to power.... Just like who could say that we won't have several '9/11's' with obama in office...

The problem is the way Bush and his administration handled these events... they did nothing but deceive the american people and KILL innocent people.

They claim they allowed freedom to come to Iraq....but are they really free? They have a constant US military presence in their country...are being watched all the time....FOR WHAT?!?!? So we can push our great "democracy" on them? Come on people. get a grip.

Bush and Chaney BOTH screwed up EVERYTHING in this country...and we're going to have to deal with the pieces it was left in while those 2 bastards run around arrogantly flaunting their wealth in the faces of the American people.

December 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Mike, Syracuse NY

Biden had the same access to Iraq intelligence reports as Bush, and voted to authorize the Iraq war. Obamanots, doesn't that make him a war criminal too? How about Clinton and Kerry who voted yes as well?

December 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  14. Mike

I used to really despise Bush, but at this point I have started to feel sorry for him. Not just for the shoe, but for the epic disaster that was his presidency. I don't wish such failure upon anyone (especially when you're aboard the ship he's captaining). In the end, I think he'll be remembered as a sort of tragic impotent figure.

December 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. Joe in Austin

Cheney is hard to insult because few words are low enough to fit him.

December 22, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. Jack

Saddam Hussain was hanged for his genocide in the Kurdish region.
    What Bush&Cheney did was possibly spreading the words of Buddha and peace ,damaging a country, making several homeless, several become orphan. Are they not human beings? Whats wrong if one bids Bush a farewell with shoes. We the americans are wearing bangles and sitting at home. I would have been really proud as an american if some of our fellow citizens greeted Bush that way. He deserves it. Cheney should be prosecuted to the fullest for his lies.

December 22, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Paul C.

Ken said it perfectly. This right wing freak show who has the stalker mentality, doesn't know when to shut up, howls at the moon when no one is listening or cares for that matter. What a total change for the better to have a good man like Biden who is about social justice, unlike Cheney who is about injustice. Yack on righties but you lost so much this year. And it will be more likely than less likely you will have a majority in congress for a generation. The majority has rejected you and put you into the minority where you truly belong because trash like you and Cheney don't and never did represent this country. Good Riddance!

December 22, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. TyWebb

Hey, "Roger", wake up.

December 22, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. William

The only sympathy I can bring myself to have is that his prison cell isn't warm enough. But first we need to get him in one. He richly deserves it.

December 22, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. willowood

Look Mr. Biden, get over it. Bush/Cheney...the real evil doers Whatever sympathy you have for Bush is misplaced...he wouldn't listen to those who knew, just those whose agenda he agreed with. You work for us so don't go getting all teary-eyed over those two or even Bush. Just do the job you are elected to do ethically, with honesty and intelligence.
    We can do the rest.

December 22, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  21. Linda

Can't we ALL play nice in the sandbox?? Bush/Cheney had eight years of destruction let us home that Obama/Biden can fix some of it.
    I think all parties can agree there have been serious mistakes made.
    I have never seen this country in such bad shape, hell our gov. wants to tax non diet soda bt 18%

Peace Out

December 22, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. christy

President Clinton had Bid Laden 'in his hands' and wouldn't let our soldiers go get him and kill him...if they had, then 9/11 would have never happened...so stick that where the sun doesn't shine!

December 22, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  23. Rick

Biden is best sequestered somewhere. Every time he opens his mouth, there's a shoe headed straight for it. He's not even VP yet and he's already challenged the terrorists to try to attack. Even if he did affirm that Obama's response would be strong and positive for the US, inviting a test was really stupid.

December 22, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. Cristine C.

Ken at 3:53 – YOU ROCK!! (And you're pretty darn intelligent on top of it!)

December 22, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  25. Aaron

Sympathy For The Devil. Rock on.

December 22, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |