December 22nd, 2008

Obama team to release Blagojevich report by Tuesday

A report on Emanuel’s contact with Blagojevich will be released by Tuesday, say aides.

(CNN) – The Obama transition team is planning to release a report by tomorrow detailing contact between his staff and embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, transition aides tell CNN.

The president-elect himself is not expected to comment publicly on the results of the internal investigation, which reportedly detail one conversation between President-elect Obama’s chief of staff Rahm Emanuel and Blagojevich, and several others between Emanuel and the governor’s top aide.

Related: What does the public think?

The Illinois governor was arrested earlier this month on charges of attempting to sell Obama’s Senate seat.

Blagojevich complained during one conversation recorded by the FBI that Obama and his aides were unwilling to compensate him for naming a candidate of their choosing to the seat.

U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald in Chicago has said that Obama was not a target of the investigation. Sources have also told CNN that Emanuel has not been implicated in the case.

Filed under: Rahm Emanuel • Rod Blagojevich
  1. Ren in FL

Hey teach –

Name one Republican president that has actually cut down the size of the Federal Gov't.

Not even your precious Ronald Reagan cut spending or cut the size of gov't.

So why do you keep repeating the same stupid mistakes of voting for Republicans?

December 22, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. Diane nPC Fla

For those who say let the lying and corruption begin – Actually it will end on January 20th at High Noon when President-Elect Obama takes office. That's when Dubya and his thugs leave office. The stench in the Whitehouse left behind by that group of miscreants will take a while to clear out. And, as far as PE Obama saying that no one from his office had any contact with the Illinois Governor – NO, that's not what he said – he said "I have had no contact with him, and No one from my staff has had "improper" contact with him. I know most of you FAUX NEWS Rethuglians are illiterate, but at least try to hide your ignorance, and get the quotes straight.

December 22, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  3. Alice

Seems like most of the folks posting on this blog are political hacks, trying to make it look like the latest "--gate" is about to implode over Rahm Emmanuel telling Blago that Obama has nothing to offer but appreciation.

Good topic for Weekend Update's "Really!" segment.

December 22, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  4. Curious in CA

Who cares? WE HAVE REAL PROBLEMS! I can't believe we are making such hullabaloo trying to tie Obama to Blago. He hasn't even started and the Republican machine and media lust is trying to take him down. Are we so accustomed to corruption that we are working ourselves up to a frenzy? Stop the witch hunt already. Let the man get into office and do his job before we cry for his blood. My goodness Republicans don't be such sore losers!! And media get creative. This is a desperate attempt at ratings. There is no scandal here!! And even if there was I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!!

December 22, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  5. Marion, SD

Hold on there. I may be a white conservative Republican who watches Fox news and voted for McCain, BUT that does not mean that I am a bigot or racist. I do not care if the President of the United States is purple with blue dots as long as he continues protecting my rights as an American citizen. I have a few concerns about some of Obama's ideologies. To me, he is too "big government". I really don't want help from the government. Like Reagan I believe the "the government is the problem".
    Obama and I may disagree, but will still be my president. So don't call me names and imply that I'm a racist.
    -------------------------------
    @teach
    Nobody wants big government until their rears are on the line. Then it's whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, bail me out. The reason we are dealing with a bigger government is because small men with small minds(George and his buddies), who hate the government were asleep on their watch. Greed took over the government, and here we are.

Don't quote Reagan when talking about small government–he increased the deficit and the largest government building in Washington, D.C. was built and named after him. So there goes his theory of small government.

December 22, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  6. Ron in NC

I guess Obama and Rahm who-mails-people-dead-fish Emmanuel are the only honest politicians in Chicago ... right? I mean, they would never do anything unethical or lie, like going back on their public financing promises, or accepting untraceable credit card donations, or .... well, never mind.

December 22, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  7. Dave in Illinois

Obama's people talked to Balgo's people, period. That's a given in Chicago/Illinois Democratic politics.

The only question is what was discussed and if Obama's people failed to report an outright attempt to extort a quid pro quo for the Senate nomination because that would be standard operating procedure in Chicago.

Good thing Obama is either deaf and blind or so removed from reality that he missed all these nasty points about how Chicago politics operates.

December 22, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. Give me a break!

Have all you Repugs forgotten that your "primadonna" Palin was found innocent by a committee of her own choosing? Just stut up and go away so we can fix this country. This is a non-issue.

December 22, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  9. Taff, UK

Maybe we, here in Europe, are stupid, but we sort of wait for the report to come out before we conduct opinion polling. In another article, you reported the public is split in half on whether Obama aides did something illegal or not! The public are making this judgement based on what exactly? It seems like a witch hunt rather than objective reporting when people are asked to form an opinion before they get the facts. It is borderline agenda setting or at the very least, trying to stir up controversy....................I never thought CNN were in that line of shabby reporting otherwise I wouldn't bother watching your broadcasts. A channel that boasts of 'the best political team' surely should do better than stooping this low.Leave the low blows to Hannity, Limber and Keith Olberman!

December 22, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. Carl

Who cares if they spoke to this man, all these peoples in this world want to make it sound like they have never did any thing in their life. Every since the election you stupid peoples have been trying to fine something on him. So my advice to all of you is to get a life.

December 22, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. Ren in FL

@LA13 –
    You really should learn to read. Obama NEVER stated that no one on his team had any contact with Blago.

With your reading comprehension difficulties, you have become part of the problem facing this nation as it moves into the 21st century.

December 22, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  12. matt

Everyone seems very caught up in whether the Obama team offered anything in return for appointing Jarrett. I think the answer will be "no". I'm not sure that's the question. I don't believe Obama was ignorant of Emanuel's conversations with the Blago – he's too smart for that. So, if he did know that Blago was trying to sell the senate seat, then unless the report says he immediately reported it to the FBI, then its just the same ol' politics. Reporting it would have made a difference. Protecting himself just like every other politician does makes no difference.

December 22, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Independant from NY

jjd @1:42pm

You're not the only one who's gotten this wrong, so don't feel too bad that you've fallen victim to neo-con talking points. Obama NEVER said his camp had no contact with Blago's camp. He said they had no INAPPROPRIATE contact. There is a huge difference that obviously went over your head.

And why are some of you so sure Obama has done wrong? Because the justice department certainly doesn't.

I know you're fishing for lies but perhaps you should pay attention to the facts first. You might want to check the pond before you cast your line.

December 22, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. Gary H

To jjd Obama said initially taht HE had no conversations with Blagojevich and that has not changed. He also said that no one on his team has had innappropriate contacts with Blagojevich's team. So unless you know something that the rest of the world doesn't you are a total fool.
    Obama has said for the last two weeks that he would release the findings of his internal investigation before Christmas. I am sure Patrick Fitzgerald will look at that evidence (and his own seperate investigators reports) and if he finds any hint of either coverup or duplicity he will persue it.
    It is extremely doubtful that that will ever come close to satisfying you or the others in this thread that have tried, convicted and sentenced Obama on your desires alone so this is really a waste of time but I wanted to say it anyway.

December 22, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |