December 22nd, 2008

Obama transition sees eye-popping 300,000 resumes

Hundreds of thousands of applicants want to work for President-elect Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Just weeks after opening shop, the Obama transition team has been flooded by what looks like an unprecedented wave of hundreds of thousands of resumes from people who want positions in the new president's administration.

"We've actually had more than 300,000 expressions of interest," Obama transition spokesman Nick Shapiro told CNN Radio.

That is roughly equivalent to the entire population of Iceland.

It dwarfs the 44,000 applicants reported by a Bush transition spokeswoman to the San Francisco Chronicle just days before George W. Bush was inaugurated in January 2001. The Clinton transition team in 1993 put its number of applicants near Inauguration Day at approximately 100,000. And the Obama boom has another month to build.

Meanwhile, it's creating a sort of business boom for job-search companies in and out of Washington.

Listen: What do bigtime headhunters think?

Listen: How the Obama job hunt is sparking new business.

Full story

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. Bob

Well its good to see many people wanting to work for a future great president.

December 22, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  2. Womack Boston, MA

That's where the money is at now... taking it out of private industry and pumping it into the government bureacracy. Gotta follow that cash!

December 22, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  3. Charlie in Maine

I would love to work for this man. I plan to do everything I can to help America get out of the hole thatwe have "trickled" into.

December 22, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  4. proudliberal-independent

if you work, you have to pay taxes. if you pay taxes, you helpin bailout bankers and giving CEOs bonuses, for stealing money from you for years.

December 22, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Rick in WA

Looks like some people will do anything for paycheck.

December 22, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. Steve Ford

It's good to know how many great Americans are inspired to join in creating a positive change for our nation and the world!

Congrats to the entire Obama administration and best of luck to each and every applicant. - Steve Ford

December 22, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  7. Polar Bears Against Palen

Dick-face Cheney should be put on trial for torture.
    Same with Rumsfeld.

Bush(worst presidient ever)...this right-wing piece of garbage shold go on trial for war crimes.

PBAP

December 22, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  8. annie

We've read this story before, aren't there more important things to cover?

December 22, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. Charles Douglas Lemay

Dear President-Elect Obama,

I have no skills or talents. I can't do anything, and not interested in
    learning how to do anything. And I'm just a little bit crooked.

Therefore, I think I would make a perfect politician-type person in
    Washington, D.C.

Please email me back with the salary and bennies I can expect.

Thanking you in advance,

Charlie Lemay
    Hemet, CA

December 22, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  10. No incumbents 2010

People are out of work and need a job, don't read to much into it.

December 22, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. Spider

Get on board early!!!

If Obama has his way, we'll all be working for the government.

Sounds kinda like U.S.S.R. circa 1980's. Don't it?

December 22, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  12. carol

PE Obama has inspired so many people all through his campaign so I'm not surprised at all that he has had so many applicants....they know they will be working for a very smart intelligent man and are so proud to get the chance to do so.
    Good luck to all of them and they will be very lucky to have such a great opportunity to work with our new President......it sounds so good to say that!!!

December 22, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  13. Angie

Well I can understand why they are receiving so many resumes. There are alot of talented people that want an opportunity to work for a great president elect.

December 22, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  14. lonnette33

Good. I hope he hires the cream of the crop. The Bush Administration has been a disaster.

December 22, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  15. John in Ohio

I would except I don't want to move, and I don't think the administration has a place for me in Columbus Ohio.

December 22, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  16. Mari

Not surprised that SO many would like to work for what will be a Historic administration! Of course, there are so many folks out of work (thanks Bush) that everyone who can will likely send in a resume wherever there is work!

HOPE WON!

December 22, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  17. gl, Pittsburgh

This tell you that mostly everybody is hoping President Elect Obama will be a person of change and hope. This past 8 years have been hell for most Americans. Those do not include the rich Republicans who do believe the past 8 years have not been so bad which are the 23 percent that thinks President Bush have done a good job.

December 22, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  18. yellow dog democrat

This President Elect has "inspired" more than are "negative" in this country – that says a lot right there! I am even inspired – even though I am retired....my idea is to do something for the country and my locality – that is positive for everyone and to try to give others some inspriration who are down and out right now. There are lots of charities and people who need help and if I can I can volunteer for something locally – thats what I will do.

December 22, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  19. Mickie

Soon they may be the only jobs left.

December 22, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  20. mesa

MAKE WAY FOR THE MESSIAH!

December 22, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  21. rand6

Obanna is doing a good job in keeping his word. Looks like he is going to be a better prez that a lot of people thought.

December 22, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  22. Franky

Geez, what happen to those same people previous years ago when they were this highly motivated and energized? Before you know it, we're gonna be like the Yanks for crying out loud, LOL!!

To come and think about it, I probably should get in the action considering I feel like I'm owed, LOL!!

December 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  23. kelly WI

Yep, he'll need a lot of scrubbers and speech writers.

December 22, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  24. Jackie in Dallas

Just wish he'd open an office in Dallas! And that he'd need a technical writer...

December 22, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  25. Kevin in Ohio

Bigger Government..... more government jobs. Easy work, no accountabilty. Its not inspiration...its people looking for a handout. We see this every time a democrat is elected. And what's worse, it is self-perpetuating.

Does anyone realize that if those millions of down-trodden people ever become prosperous, the democrats would lose their base? The democrats have a stake in keeping their constituency down....

December 22, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |