December 22nd, 2008

Obama transition sees eye-popping 300,000 resumes

Hundreds of thousands of applicants want to work for President-elect Barack Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Just weeks after opening shop, the Obama transition team has been flooded by what looks like an unprecedented wave of hundreds of thousands of resumes from people who want positions in the new president's administration.

"We've actually had more than 300,000 expressions of interest," Obama transition spokesman Nick Shapiro told CNN Radio.

That is roughly equivalent to the entire population of Iceland.

It dwarfs the 44,000 applicants reported by a Bush transition spokeswoman to the San Francisco Chronicle just days before George W. Bush was inaugurated in January 2001. The Clinton transition team in 1993 put its number of applicants near Inauguration Day at approximately 100,000. And the Obama boom has another month to build.

Meanwhile, it's creating a sort of business boom for job-search companies in and out of Washington.

Listen: What do bigtime headhunters think?

Listen: How the Obama job hunt is sparking new business.

Full story

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. Maggie from Virginia

All hands on deck... We need it!

December 22, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  2. Paula, NC

That's because his admistration will strive for high ideals. Not sleazy partisan politics like the Bush administration.

Barack's administration is open for Dems, Repubs, Indys, everyone. It's going to be a great 4 years.

December 22, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  3. red

a matter fact i will be sending my resume in today.... what are the possibilities.... you never know,,,, i may be one lucky person

go obama... im inspired!!!!!!!

December 22, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Once you vote Black

The GOP ought to be down on there knees thanking the good lord for Barack Husain Obama. After running the field for the past 8 years doing your dead level best, having the policy that you have always wanted. Congress for 6 years and POUS for 8, you now have a president that you can pin everything that has gone wrong and will go wrong on. If you are right you will win back the office in 4 years, if you are wrong America with thrive. Either way, you win. I guess Operation Chaos is working out swimmingly. Thank goodness for the MaHaRushie. But just notice that each time you try to bring the Muslim Pres Elect down he grows stronger. Might I suggest you wait until he really does something wrong before you start complaining? It will give you more credibility when all goes to pot.

December 22, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. Bill in California

It appears to me that with all the rats leaving the sinking Chicago political ship, they may have found a new home in Washington. Of course the Big O was only neighbors with this plague of crooks that have sold democracy to the highest bidder.

December 22, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  6. john from sandiego

what are they going to do, bow down and say 'hosanna-hosanna' ?

December 22, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  7. Sweet Pea

The smart thing to do is wish Barack well....if his administration fails, we all fail!!

December 22, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  8. Retired Army in San Antonio

Kevin in Ohio December 22nd, 2008 11:52 am ET

Bigger Government….. more government jobs. Easy work, no accountabilty.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry Kevin......but you just don't know what you're talking about.

Unless, of course, you have one of those self-perpetuating – no accountability gov't jobs.....

Clown!

December 22, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  9. Ray Fisher

Well I'm not worth much but would work without pay on anything I could do from my computer at home. I wouldn't ask for nor accept any pay since I'm retired on SSA & VA disability but would serve if I could. Sometimes, Americans should step up and volunteer if possible to do what we can. Unfortunately, bad economic times dictate everyone applying for anything!! I'd like President Obama to start a National Suggestion Program solicting suggestions from the public which could work like the old Air Force suggestion program with 10% of annual savings as cash awards for accepted suggestions. Americans are a wealth of ideas and information which should be tapped if possible!!!

December 22, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. Flash news

Im up for taking all of Kevies money and seeing him cry some more.Maybe Limbaugh will give him a loan or find a job for him and the moron squad of posters,who arent even old enough to vote,let alone leave mommy and daddys house to find a job.

December 22, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  11. SOMEONE PLEASE THROW ANOTHER PAIR OF SHOES @ GW!!!

Obama inspired all Americans to believe that govt. is cool again...and I can't wait to work for this govt. of hope, peace, prosperity and visionary leadership.

my resume is one of the thousands. hope I get a call soon. can't wait till jan 20th, already!!!!

December 22, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  12. THE OLD TIMER

who wants to work for someone who is ashamed to show his birth certificate to the american public but yet holds the presidency of the USA.. This guy doesn,t belong in the whitehouse. he has not scruples about politics or the american way.

People are hurting and will work for any jack- to have a job

December 22, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. Retired Army in San Antonio

Ray Fisher December 22nd, 2008 12:00 pm ET

.......I'd like President Obama to start a National Suggestion Program solicting suggestions from the public.......

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you Ray.

But jeezzzzz.......look at all the crack-pots on just THIS site!

Now......imagine these (and many other) crake-pots having the 'ability' to make their suggestions in such a program. The program would be overloaded with their crack-pot rantings.

Still.......a good idea and maybe (despite the crack-pots), just MAYBE, it's worth a try!!!

December 22, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. Seattle Sue

To all the Obama bashers. Are you truly happy with the out come of eight years of Bush control? I admit that Clinton should not have had sex with that woman. But financially I did wonderful under the Clinton Administration, I have been treading water and just barely able to keep my head above water under Bush. I say lets at least let Obama become President 1/20/09 before all these negative remarks.

December 22, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  15. shay

I happen to think it was a very good idea for Obama being transparent and putting it out there for those who want to apply. I would like to see him with the smartest and brightest on his team to help get America back on their feet.

To everyone Happy Holidays

Mr. President Obama enjoy your vacation in Hawaii with your family. We all want you rested up , fired up, ready to go after Inaguration day.

December 22, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  16. Debby

Good let them make over 250th. and pay Obama's tax credit so we don't have to. LOL

December 22, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  17. gerri

The people that need these jobs are the kids still living home with mom and dear old dad and have nothing better to do than listen to am talk radio all day and post comments on blog sites.

December 22, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  18. Mr Magoo

Charlie please forward your resume to the GOP national office, your unique skills can be used there.

December 22, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  19. My mirror's broken

Why is it always the other person who is such a hater?

December 22, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  20. annette

I wish I had the talent and credentials to attain a position with the Obama administration. When Regan was elected I was a flight attendant. I was offered a job in the protocol office, I turned it down I'm a democrat. I was offered the position based on my looks and perky attitude because that was the only thing on display from LAX to DCA, I wonder if I could get by on good looks today. Boy how times have changed. You really have to be smart today to get a job in the White House, it seems that only 8 years ago, that wasn't the case, you just had to know the right people in Florida, how soon we forget. Mr. Obama will need all the talented people this country has, to get us out of this huge mess, but even if he is successful, the other team will come in again, and screw it up, as always.

December 22, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. bushisuseless

OOLDTIMER IF YOUR GOING TO THAT DIRECTION. i HAVE TO REMIND YOU. YOUR GRANDFATHER AND HIS FATHERS FATHER WAS NOT A REAL AMERICAN EITHER. HISTORY WILL TELL YOU THAT YOUR FORE FATHER AND YOUR ANCESTOR ARE NOT REALLY BORN IN THIS COUNTRY. THE WHITE PEOPLE TOOK THIS COUNTRY BY FORCE FROM THE INDIAN WHO LIVE HERE . BEFORE. YOU TOOK THIS COUNTRY BY FORCE. THE BROWN MEXICAN PEOPLE WHO YOU CALLED" ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS" HAS MORE RIGHT TO COME TO THIS COUNTRY. THAN YOU DO THEIR ANCESTOR WAS BORN HERE BEFORE YOU WHITE GUN TROTTING THUGS FROM EUROPE SEPARATED THIS COUNTRY.

December 22, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  22. Stephanie from FL

From proudliberal-independent:

if you work, you have to pay taxes. if you pay taxes, you helpin bailout bankers and giving CEOs bonuses, for stealing money from you for years.

+++++++++++++++++

So what's your motto... don't work? Seems like too many people are getting by on that bit of "advice."

In the meantime, there are people who are going out for an honest day's work so they can support their families. Go PE Obama, I hope you get some real talented people on your administration!

December 22, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  23. Ann

I have one little question. How comes that CNN cannot find some better pictures of Mr. Obama? Really, he looks dumb.

December 22, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  24. Sharon Kitchen

300,000....................wow.
    Alot of people fired up and ready to go.
    Transparency in action.
    Also, because of bushenomics,there are alot of people hurting out there,from all walks of life. Everyone needs to eat. Basics have to happen. But I am very happy to see that those 300,000 have taken Obama at his word. He has done what he said he would do.
    With all of us working together to help each other,we can make it out of the mess bush/cheney put us in.

December 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  25. Buckeye

got any jobs for peacemakers?

December 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |