December 22nd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Dave

Lady , if you had done more media interviews, you would have screwed them up by saying MORE stupid things and then blaming the questioner or by 'lamenting the media filter' which made you sound like the idiot that you are.

December 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  2. Mike

HaHaHaHaha. Lady's and Gentlemen, we have a red light special on aisle 1. Better send the cleanup crew, lotta tears on the floor here.

December 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  3. erin

I'm sure Tina Fey wishes Palin had done more interviews too! COMEDY!

December 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  4. Jason in New Mexico

It would just further show us how unqualified she really was. She thinks that the Vice President controls the senate, that Africa is a country, and that having a foreign leader fly over your airspace qualifies as foreign policy experience. This lady in office would have been one of the worst mistakes our country would have ever made. She makes George Bush look like a genius. Thank god our country got it right this election, electing someone super intelligent who has a degree from Harvard.

December 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. PL

I finally figured out how this lady was elected Gov. in Alaska. The entire state is high off of drugs her in-laws are pushing. Now it all makes sense. Who is Sarah Palin? What are her values? Is she palling around with drug dealers? Sweet!!!

December 22, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  6. Joe in MN

AHahahhaha!

December 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  7. jt

Excuses are the tools of incompetence, that leads to bridges to nowhere that crosses over rivers of nothingness.

December 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  8. NORM

William Buckley died of disgust...

December 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  9. Shawn

The US biggest regret is that John McCain picked her period. Her 15 minutes was up a long time ago. Stop profiling her CNN. She's dumb and not worth the story lines!

December 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  10. BigJoe

CNN, Please stop with the stories about this LOSER! We don't care any more. Let her go back to Alaska and disappear. Or at least maybe go back to the doublewide and fry something up.

December 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  11. The Election Is Over

Let's try to get along. This woman is back in Alaska trying to be a governor. Just let it go.

December 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  12. pete

yeh sarah, you really nailed your interviews, it would be very hard to top them.

December 22, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  13. KJL

She's too full of herself to realize what a terrible impression she left on all but the most fervent Republicans and religious fanatics. I'm not a Democrat, but I know a fool when I see one.

December 22, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  14. Cristine C.

I love being able to read these blogs to get my laughs for the day. You people that love this woman and say that she will be elected in 2012 are HYSTERICAL!

December 22, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  15. Chris Smith

The problem was not Palin – it was McCain and the GOP – they all need to be fired, everyone of them. Seriously, can any of you beleive that we actually elected Obama? He has no more experiance than Palin and the next 4 years are goign to be nasty.

December 22, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  16. Dan

Matt, study your history before babbling. Americans, even during our revolution were not all that "civilized". On that not, has she done any nude shots?

December 22, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  17. Forrest

Who cares? She is a joke and will not be the future of the party. There are some really good young republicans, but she just does not have it.

December 22, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  18. Stevenson Democrat

She's more to be pitied than censured. How cynical of the GOP king makers to dump this fading beauty queen on McCain. But how fortunate for our country that she WILL NOT be a heart beat from the presidency after Jan.21. I think the real story would involve how she was able to dodge English 101 while enrolled in one of the countless colleges she attended.

December 22, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  19. Art Michaelson

Sarah Palin should go back to school. Take ADULT CONTINUATION English courses and learn how to string a sries of words together to make a correct and intellegent sentance.. SARAH you are soooo STUPID or is it just palin DUMB

December 22, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |