December 22nd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Sally from Cali

No...too much media coverage.

Please, make it stop. We've had enough.

December 22, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. Gil Oberdas

Palin herself is the biggest regret! I'm sure that McCain feels that way now since he got stooped! Thanks to the bimbo from Alaska!

December 22, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  3. Mya

Hahahahahahahaha.....Sarah Palin's crazy! She couldn't answer a question about what she read, for Pete's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 22, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. Boo Hoo

No you did the right amount. The interviews that you did do were just enough to let the American people know you are an IDIOT.

December 22, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. CaliforniaVoter

ahahahha...

She destroyed the McCain campaign because of her media interviews and she wanted MORE? ^______________^

December 22, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  6. deb

Hah! The ONE RIGHT thing the GOP campaign did was to keep the muzzle on her mouth!

December 22, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  7. Jeff

Ms. Palin: its is all said and done now (we hope) and i have only one question left for you: Why is gasoline approximately $1 more expensive in your state than the lower 48? Hmmm? You told us you knew how to handle energy concerns for the future. Is keeping prices $1 higher than average in the rest of the US your way of doing so?

WOW!

December 22, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  8. Natasha in tally

Correction, Gov. Palin not giving interviews was the best thing she could have done. When you did interviews you fell flat on your face, train wreck central. After the campaing you did every interview known to man, still train wreck central. Trust me that was the least of your worries.

December 22, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  9. Cry Me A River

LOL

"If I am so blessed to be the next Vice President...."–Sarah Palin

No, Sarah, we were the ones who were blessed. We're so blessed that you didn't get one toe in the door of the White House. You are a moron.

December 22, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  10. Jonan

She's an idiot who cannot put together a full, gramatically correct sentence. The doors to the English department a Wasilla High must be draped in black. So too, are the so-called Communications Department at the University of Idaho.

December 22, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

AH SHUT UP, YOU MORON

December 22, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  12. Thomas

Her biggest mistakes were agreeing to run for a position she was woefully unprepared for and for not understanding that the GOP was only using her as a political tool.

December 22, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. carol

I completely agree with her she should have done more interviews but I don't think she would have made herself look any better as she did not come across as smart in the ones she did.
    I still don't think she gets it yet that she was only used by McCain for his political gain and it backfired on him.
    I don't like Sarah Palin as a politician at all but I do feel she was used and that was not right.

December 22, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Video Guy

I have a great idea for the New Year, lets leave her along and not have anymore Sarah stuff.

December 22, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. PL

LOLOLOLOLOLOL Thank God there still a village in Alaska for this idiot to return too. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

December 22, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  16. Joyce in Indiana

WOW! She is still just as naive as she was before she was picked to run for VP! The problem, Gov. Palin, is that you showed in your interviews that you were not prepared to be vice president. If you had done more interviews, then everybody would have realized it, not just the 53% of us who voted for Obama-Biden.

December 22, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  17. Georgia Gal

Is that the "Gotcha Media" she's referring to??

December 22, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. Drew in ATL

"Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews"

Duh???... This was a catch 22. Interviews or no interviews, the confidence in her would have quickly eroded.

December 22, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. doris estabrooks

will sarah and the other grandparents be there when bristol has their grandchild.? what hospital will the baby be born in.? isn't it overdue?
    when will bristol marry, if ever?

December 22, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  20. C.T.

Baby Girl.... From the interviews you did give... You should be thankfull someone kept you in check. I hope for your own sake you will review all , I mean all the interviews you did before you get in front of another camera.

December 22, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  21. Dayahka

Her obvious lack of qualifications, knowledge, and mental acuity would have been even more obvious had she done more media interviews. As it is, she probably did too many, for she became within weeks the laughing stock of the country.

December 22, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  22. Hurry Up 1/20/09

You would have lost anyway, honey – probably by an even larger margin had you done more interviews. This country needed a change and you are not the right kind of change that we so desperately need.....

December 22, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. longhorns4life

i'm trying hard not to be so negative about her. she seems like a nice, albeit naive woman. but hearing her speak or even reading her words in print cause such a revulsion in me that it is hard to control. it's the same way i've felt about bush for the last 6 years. i'm thankful that bush will be going away soon. i just wish palin would stop talking.

December 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  24. karen

The woman does not speak properly and is far from knowledgable. Please find other news.

December 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  25. EDDIE

You know that is exactly what I was thinking she needed to put her ticket over the top is more palin interviews

December 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |