December 22nd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Betty the maid

Ha ha ha ha.....Sarah Palin, the Wal Mart hill billy and her whole family belong on Jerry Springer...hows that for an interview Sarah.....

Psssst...Sarah....Go away!!!

America rejected your azz on Nov 5th

Obama rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. Once you vote Black

Perhaps if she did not talk like a nervous 7th grader and could convey coherent streams of thought the old one would not have tried to hide her. She talks like a cyclone and it is impossible to know what she is trying to say let alone if you agree with her. She speaks in code and only the far right can understand that imbecile. The only reason Biden did not go after her is that he knew she could do not harm. And Obama did not go after her because he did not want to be seen as attacking a white women.

December 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  3. Uncle Fester

I'd like to do more of these open forums, she says, "Without the filter of the main stream media telling viewers what they have just heard."

You mean THAT media, Sarah? You mean the one that everytime you opened your mouth in front of, you made a fool of yourself? Just checkin'.

December 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  4. Adam

I think Palin's biggest regret WAS that she did TV interviews..

December 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  5. Jonesie

Sarah Palin ... hmmm ... sorry, can't place the name. Who are you?

December 22, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  6. sophia nyc

Yup that was the.problem.

BUT.. It's not too late. We could use the Holiday entertainment.

December 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Not "allowed" to do more interviews because you are STUPID!!! You make W look like a brilliant man. In fact you are so clueless that you don 't understand how dumb you are. Hint... watch the katie curic interview

December 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. pat C.

SPARE US SARAH. YOU HAD ENOUGH TO MAKE THE WORLD SEE WHAT AN IDIOT YOU WERE!
    JOHN MCCAIN SHOULD HATE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID TO HIS CHANCE OF BEING PRESIDENT.

December 22, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. Paul Wice

Nothing would have changed the outcome of the election given the charisma of Obama and his deep pockets. In fact more Palin interviews might have made the outcome even worse!!

December 22, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. John

Sarah's biggest regret is not enough "conservative media interviews". Sarah doesn't want the country to know the real her, just the "image her".

If she wants to get more media exposure, tell her to go on the Keith Obermann show or perhaps interview with Rachael Maddow that will get her exposed.

December 22, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. Aaron

Really? Again? How does she keep coming back?

Sarah...listen. You actually did yourself (and the public) a huge favor by talking to the press less. Those few media moments were painful to say the least. My side still hurts from laughing so hard.

Why does she keep coming back to say the same things over and over again?

December 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. Hmm

Perhaps she should regret not raising her daughter better.

December 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz

SHE CAN START DOING THEM NOW.

SHE IS JUST AS BIG AN IDIOT NOW AS BEFORE. &

WE CAN LOUGH JUST AS LOUD NOW AS WE DID BEFORE.

WITH BUSH OUT OF OFFICE, WE HAVE A REAL COMEDY VOID.

December 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  14. California Gold

She didn't need any more media interviews. She did a great job of screwing up and showing her utter incompetence and lack of intelligence with the few she had.

December 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  15. Voted for change in Texas

Stop the madness! During the campaign, she complained about the media elite and saying things without the filter of the media.
    WHATEVER!!!!!

December 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  16. capthook

The media coverage she had was way more than enough. Although it did give us a clue of how bright she was. Thank you media, you did your job .

December 22, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. peace lover

You may think that are not enough, but I think more than enough.

December 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  18. sammy king

palin is either ignorant or has alzheimer, because as far as we remember it was the interviews that showed what kind of knowledge this person has.

December 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  19. Diana Ewing NJ

"she was not allowed".... believe this cookie was hard to control... what is this allowed.... she turned the press into the enemy herself at the convention... and immediately... afterwards.... Allowed by foot.

December 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  20. TjayeInLA

That was my regret as well. Those were some of the best laughs I've had in ages.

December 22, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  21. Soccer Nana

Huh? She wasn't properly vetted. How on earth could she know any of them when she was an unknown? This woman was totally out-of-her-league.

As far as interviews go, the less she had the better. She still doesn't get. How sad.

December 22, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  22. Lawrence in Denver

Who cares. Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

~Lawrence in Denver

December 22, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  23. MikeH

Sarah Palin pals around with drug dealers and meth lab operators. It's a fact.

December 22, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  24. Dj

She should be GRATEFUL that someone was looking out for her best interests... that is, keeping her lack of knowledge hidden from as many voters as possible.

When a person is as DUMB as she is, the best thing to do on that person's behalf is keep them from talking (and exposing their stupidity).

December 22, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |