December 22nd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. siobhanoc

Yeah because letting Americans hear more from her would have said the McCain campaign.

Beyond selecting her, letting her speak at all to the press was one of their many mistakes.

December 22, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. Sarah

When would this idiot get lost? I cannot stand her name!

December 22, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. In Houston, TX

Wow, I agree. I am surprised that I agree with her.

Now, if you would kindly exit the public stage left, we have more important things to concentrate on that fall outside of your mental capacities

December 22, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  4. Tina - Sacramento, CA

When Sarah was first introduced to America, I though wow a female vp...then she opened her mouth...That's all it took for me to see that she was not ready for the job, I prayed day in and out up until the election that she would not become our next possible President of the United States if something god forbid would have happened to Senator McCain...they both demonstrated nasty politics..

December 22, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. CMG

Sarah: Doing more media interviews could only have proven what many of us already knew, you weren't VP material...Not even close. Don't you get it? You took John McCain down even more quickly than George Bush. Overconfidence is never healthy. That book deal that you are working on should maybe highlight that flaw. Stay in Alaska – hopefully, your children will not have access to the history books that attempt to explain who you are and what you are about.

December 22, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. Jeff

Perhaps is she weren't an unmitigated disaster in her initial interviews, she would have been allowed to do more. Then again, when you have absolutely nothing going on above the neck, you can't be anything but an unmitigated disaster.

December 22, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. James

It is the height of delusion or an undiagnosed personality disorder for her to believe that more exposure and off the cuff interviews would have made her look better.

There were NO TRICK questions in the Couric interview.

Anytime a comedian (Tina Fey) decides that your verbatim comments cannot possibly be improved on by a comedic writer, you are a joke.

She may be a nice person. But she made her mark by throwing malatov cocktails at Obama and flaming hate, distrust, and frustration. What she did not do was articulate views about policy that would advance America.

And quite frankly, if the insight she displayed in her interviews is even remotely accurate, she has nothing to offer.

Stick to FOX news for interviews and puff pieces.

December 22, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. Jonny C.

Forget the things that are behind, yesterday is gone, tomorrow is another
    day. Palin, remember you said :" it is not your time ",
    so start preparing if you really believe there is an appointed time.

make haste slowly.it is better to be ready and not have opportunity, than
    to have opportunity and not be ready.

December 22, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Blunckhouse

Shut up, go away.

December 22, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  10. Jennifer Collins

Hello!!!! The biggest mistake was John McCain choosing her. She was not qualified and is still not qualified to be V.P.

I'd love to know what interviews she would have chosen. An interview is an interview (not counting Sean Hannity and his friends at Fox) ... she didn't know the answers to simple questions. And seeing Russia from your porch does not mean that you are experienced in foreign policy. Mocking your opponent's community organizing does not make you qualified, lying about your opposition does not make you qualified, winking at the camera does not make you qualified, talking to foreign leaders about their children do not make you qualified, having a handicap baby does not make you qualified, and need I go on.

December 22, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. Jimmy -Gilbert, AZ

Palin needs to run for the AK senate seat opening in 2010 then on to the White House in 2012!

Palin/Rice 2012!

December 22, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  12. Brian

Yeah...more interviews would have helped. Would have helped those who actually thought it was a good idea to vote for you to finally get a clue. Apparently the few you did give were not enough for clueless.

December 22, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  13. Irma in North Carolina

Sarah when you did an interview all you wanted to was bash Obama and Biden. They were scared how you would act. Especially after the hate rallys that you gave and endangered Obamas life. And now John says he doesnt know if he would support you if you ran in2012, he says there are plenty of other good governers out there, so that should tell you something. You were a disgrace to the american people only a few republicans liked you at one time. If you run again in 2012 the republican party will be of fewe people. Neither you or John had fairy good moral values.

December 22, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  14. Charles Thompson

When would this idiot get lost? I cannot stand her name!

The above post is not a constructive conversation. It shows why Obama got elected.

December 22, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  15. G.R.I.T.S. - Girl Raised in the South

She still doesn't make any sense. Although I must agree with several of you that more interviews would have meant more laughs (more material for SNL, too!). I just don't know what is wrong with this lady. Narcissism? I, too, am curious why the baby hasn't been born yet when it was due days ago and why no marriage has taken place. I think, folks, that we were fed a bunch of lies.

December 22, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  16. Randy

All the media interviews still wouldn't have got her into the White House the American people seen right though her as a fake.

December 22, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  17. Shes the turkey

Maybe she could have told us why its good for the super rich when we have a depression.This depression was allowed to happen,or am I the only person on the planet that thinks so?

December 22, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  18. mb

Sari's probably was that she talked too much!

December 22, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  19. raagos

PLEASE GO AWAY U SCARYING ALL OF US. NO MEDIA ENOUGH ? COME ON. SHES CRZY

December 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  20. thierry of Montreal

I think Sarah Palin should be more prepared with media interviews. It's not quantitative but qualitative!. The way she blink her eyes, and not knowing exactly what the responsibilities/roles of a vice president are does not help her at all. Have one or more interviews with the same erroneous answers or pretentious attitude, would bring her down and the GOP quicker. It comes down to the basics, get prepared before an interview and be humble, but don't play the opportunist card nor try to polarize the situation. Don't try to divide and conquer but win the heart and the brain of the american voters of the new area.

December 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  21. Paul, Riverside, CA

You just can't fix Stupid.

That goes for Sweet lips Sarah too.

December 22, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  22. kayla

SARAH IT WOULD BE BEST IF YOU JUST RIDE INTO THE SUNSET. YOU ARE AND WERE A BIG JOKE TO AMERICA AND THE WORLD.

December 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  23. PL

I think this lady is SMOKING what her in-laws are selling. Poor unborn child, one grandma is a drug dealer and the other one is the village idiot.

December 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  24. Mike T. Vaughn

More interviews of lying????? Showing your foolishness???? More interviews of not answering reports questions?????? Interviews for what???????

December 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  25. FJ from Atlanta

Somehow I do not think that more interviews would have help. Call me crazy!

December 22, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |