December 22nd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. The Sultan of Spinach

Go, Sarah, go. We need a candidate like her to put an end to American Conservatism once and for all. That political "philosophy" has done a lot of damage to America. We can't afford any more.

December 22, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  2. lovable liberal

If she had given more media interviews, she could've been home by October, and you know how nice October is in Wasilla with the smell of crystal meth cooking in the air.

December 22, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  3. Cary Lacayo

Palin still in lala land...Those interviews were sensored/monitored for a reason and I am giving the republicans some credit for having a brain to keep it that way. Maybe, they should have aloud her to commuicate more via the media which would have saved Mr. Obama time and effort towards becoming the next P....

She looks good in her photo ops though, for a middle aged women, I will give her that...

December 22, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. Vito

really? i wasn't: I (Palin) wish I actually knew something..... anything

December 22, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. Carl

Sarah regrets not having enough media exposure? I think this might be kind of wrong. I don't think she was at all ready for the media. I think it is politically expedient for her to say this now but at the time it was far from the case.

December 22, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. Karen, Arkansas

Just what she needed more interviews to add fuel to her self destructing fire....

December 22, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. Perusing-Through

QUOTE from Former Republican VP Candidate Sarah Palin's:
    "But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that's how you get your message out to the electorate".
    - – - – -

She is right, no questions about that. PE-Obama proved Palin correct with his 22-month long campaign. There were a ton of media interviews during that 22-month run which allowed the nation to get comfortable with Obama. But Palin is missing the "elephant in the room". Her handlers COULD NOT let her do too many media interviews the way she did with Katie Couric. Palin is extremely light on both national and international political contents. Palin is terrible when it comes to details on the domestic front. And her audience and message is relatively narrow which consisted primarily of just far-right Republicans. More media interviews are a good thing as long as you have something intelligent to say, and not be as divisive and nasty as Palin portrayed.

December 22, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. wibadger

Go away! More interviews would have shown her to be dumber yet.

December 22, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. Robin

For God Sake, leave the woman alone.

She is a pretty good govenor (80%+) and while her run as VP had many bumps, she was not as protected as our PE.

Most of the media coverage, especially CNN, was some of the most biased reporting I have seen in my life.

December 22, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  10. Perusing-Through

December 22, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  11. Geno

She would do the interviews, then immediately accuse the interviewer of starting the "Gotcha" questions. But isn't every question that you get a Gotcha question, because there is no way you can know what you will be asked. Unless you're a psychic. But look at the brightside, I think she would have been a better VP than Cheney.

December 22, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  12. treegeek

Sarah Palin too stupid to know how duh duh duh dumb she is. Hey I know go have another baby then you and that moron kid of yours can raise them together

December 22, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  13. PJP in OK

Sarah, I for one think you did a great job. Being the stand up Christian that you are and not being ashamed of what is going on in your family shows me that you have high morals. Be patient, your time will come and all who have bad mouthed you will be sorry!

December 22, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. Tomkat

I wish she would have done more reviews also. We need a good laugh in these trying times. Like an alcoholic not knowing that they have a problem, stupid people such as Palin don't realize how stupid they really are. Blinded by ego. M2C

December 22, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  15. reginald smith fairfax va

as someone said 2 weeks ago sarah does not realize how stupid she is !!!!and she has a lot of stupid left in her .

December 22, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. ConsiderThis, FL

Oh, please go away. Surely you don't think that you're ready for leading this country. Stop sending the message to our children that you can achieve the highest office in the land by means other than competence. Just stop it!

December 22, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  17. Lyndon from CA

Caribou Barbie was kept under wraps by her handlers for good reason. As most of America discovered during the few interviews that she did give, she is an absolute AIR HEAD. I hope to see her under the mistletoe in two days, as she rides shutgun with Santa and the rest of the reindeer. LOL

December 22, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  18. Phoenix

Palin killed it for women. From here on in, any woman who runs will face INTENSE scrutiny because she proved that she was not willing to learn and hard to train. Unfortunately, when one woman screws up, we all do.

December 22, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  19. Voter

Don't worry, Sarah. We saw MORE than enough of you!

December 22, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  20. strong

Not enough interviews? If my memory serves me correctly, she was shielded from the media ALOT, since she was inexperienced and couldn't put 2 sentences together. Comical.

December 22, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. B

Is it just me or did the McCain team have a GOOD REASON for not letting her speak? She seems like a nice lady, but a maroon. Sorry to be so blunt, but those Katie Couric interviews were painful to watch. If she did not have things memorized she could not even string sentences together. She had no place running for office.

Again, it's not really her fault – it's McCain's fault for picking her – and I'm sure he'll regret it for the rest of his life. I'd feel bad for him, but I think he put the contry in serious danger by picking her, and such wrecklessness and opportunism has to be condemned.

December 22, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. Kim

I'm still reeling at the visual of her on SIxty Minutes or Meet the Press.

December 22, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah, get over yourself honey. It's probably a good thing you didn't give more interviews. I'm sure John McCain only had so much patients with and for you no matter what he says in public. Before you were chosen, by whomever chose you, at least McCain had a fighting chance, but after you baby, it was all washed up and IF you had opened your mouth any more then you did we would have for sure known you were completey daft instead of just thinking you were an idiot. Sarah, I'm sure you heard about fooling some of the people some of the time and so on? Well dear, there's no fooling us now. We've seen you for what you are and there ain't no changing that, just like there ain't no changing the election...

December 22, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. Molly

...O.K. its official the media cannot get over Palin! The rest of the country has but they are refusing to let it go. Congrats CNN...

December 22, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  25. The squirrel running up the tree

Whenever cnn.com has a story about Sarah Palin and opens it up to reader comments, you can be sure the Palin-haters will furiously rush to their keyboards and spew out the usual insults and vitriol. I can almost hear the gnashing of their teeth as they angrily type away.

December 22, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |