December 22nd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Dylan from MN

Perhaps if she would have, Obama would have won Montana and Missouri. :)

December 22, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. Max

A great deal of the comments left here point out Sarah's supposed inability to construct a grammatically correct sentence. It appears that most of you Sarah bashers have been unable to construct a grammatically correct sentence yourselves, from what I've just read.

You people are pathetic.

December 22, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  3. Griff

Next time Lady! Maybe by then the Women of this Election will not have their "Knickers in a Twist".... Barack Obama the Stud... Who has no other "Male", in his Family; will be just 'Raw Meat in 12 months time... Bleading in the Gutter!!!!!!!!!!

December 22, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  4. David Goldman

WE ARE WAITING.

THE WORLD OF COMEDY HAS NOTHING TO WORK WITH.

PRESIDENT-elect OBAMA & ALL HIS PHDS ARE WORTHLESS

IN THAT DEPARTMENT. WE WONT GET A SINGLE LOUGH

OUT OF THEM FOR THE NEXT EIGHT YEARS.

NO BUSH, NO MCBUSH, & NO PALIN WILL HURT THE

LATE NIGHT INDUSTRY BADLY. START YOUR INTERVIEWS NOW!!!

December 22, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  5. Doreen Augusta Maine

Palin loves to criticize other people. Why not stand in front of a mirror and admit to yourself that you are responsible for yourself.

December 22, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  6. Chitown Jason

She should really take a long look in the mirror. Her inability to answer questions intelligently was her biggest disadvantage in the campaign, and yet she thinks she should have her weaknees been exposed even more? Absurd.

December 22, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  7. carol sullivan

go home and take care of your family we heard enough of you when you had your interviews its over

December 22, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  8. cherish

Sarah Palin is an idiot. Is there anything else to say, really?

December 22, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  9. Monica

It's great to see Tina Fey on CNN. She's hilarious.

December 22, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  10. CanIcallyouJoe

“The biggest mistake made was that I opened my mouth,” she told Human Events.

There. Fixed that for you.

December 22, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  11. Florida Joe

No more interviews were needed.........we know how dumb you are already.....GO AWAY

December 22, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. CF

This woman is a narcissist, diva, full-of-herself....and is not in the political world for any other reason than to promote herself. Truly one of the most selfish people I have ever seen or heard!

December 22, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  13. Deb

I cannot for the life of me understand why some people have to be so mean. Palin was thrown overboard without a lifejacket by the McCain folks. Does that make her crazy? No. Does that make her a bimbo? No. But, evidently, her time in the spotlight has turned some other people into raging bigots.

December 22, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  14. Shadia

More interviews?? why so she could look even more dumb than she did.
    If she would have had more speaches, Mccain wouldn't have had a chance at all...

Go back to the ice bergs were you belong.

December 22, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  15. OhioMom

Ye-ah, like that would have helped......

December 22, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  16. Karen

They had to control her mouth, everytime she opened her mouth she said something stupid.

December 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  17. treegeek

Geno – when running for office of Pres or VP don't you think you you should at least know the countries in NAFTA or that Africa is not a country. Really, better vp than anyone she has been Gov. of a state with less people than many big cities in the lower 48 before that mayor of po dunk alaska pop 2000 but she would be a better vp than biden... WAKE UP!!!

December 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  18. Nancy

I sure hope to see her running in 2012. What a great president she will make!

December 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. New Yorker

The media is largely responsible for the damage done to Palin.

December 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  20. PL

Is it possible to charge someone with being stupid and send them to Prison??? If so she could get life.

December 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  21. JoeJoe

Sarah, more interviews? Your media interviews should be reserved for those nights when people are depressed and sad because people do get a kick and full belly laughs out of your low IQ answers.

Didn't it take you 6 universities in 5 years to graduate college? It might take you 6 more years to speak English that communicates your points instead of rubbish!

December 22, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  22. ta

She is the dumbest person I have ever heard do any sort of interview.
    She also pals around with meth lab workers and dope dealers. So much for the Republican values. Such a joke. trailer park trash, cannot even put together a sentence, raised a daughter who is preg and hangs with dopers. The GOP is done. Energized the base...I think they meant freebase!

Loser, stay home and go away.

only one more month of Bush and Dr. Evil. Nice job Bush. Way to leave us in pure hell. Cheny, he needs to be put in jail.

TA

December 22, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  23. Vegas Burk

I am still in shock that McCain chose her to be V.P. Never mind the fact that she was totally in over her head, but the woman was simply not able to speak in front of the microphone on any issues. All she ever did was repeat talking points. Her comments on foreign policy and Russian air space were hysterical and yet so incredibly ignorant.
    Anyone that takes anytime to research any US or global issue in this campaign knows more than this woman. I think she is a nice lady with good intentions, but she is about as persuasive as a penny saver...

December 22, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  24. Markie from CALI

Will she ever go away???

December 22, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  25. Timothy

More interviews for Palin? Ha Ha......yeah right! The more she interviewed the more she looked like the freak she is!

December 22, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |