December 22nd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. JFK

WE HAVE SEEN ENOUGH OF YOU ALREADY MRS PALIN!

December 22, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. fmjk

Oh pul-ease! They sent her out for the easiest of puff pieces, the Katy Couric interview, and she couldn't link together enough sentences to survive even that. Will this woman ever learn it wasn't someone else's fault?

December 22, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  3. Susan

Sarah Palin had A LOT of interviews that were never given any coverage by the MSM. She was engaging and knowledgable in all of them. In fact, the Katie Couric interview was never fully aired. They cut out the best parts and only showed them on the internet. You guys are forgetting that the woman only had two months to prove herself to a media that was hellbent on destroying her. Obama had well over a year, and made his shared of stupid gaffes. Palin will be back in 2012.

December 22, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  4. Melissa

I don't know if more interviews would have helped her, at all. The few interviews that we DID see were pretty ridiculous. She needed more time with her running mate, trying to find out what her party actually should stand for...and frankly, learning the government and how it works.

December 22, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  5. Jeremy

Go back to alaska.

December 22, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  6. Fred the moderate

More interviews? She wouldn't answer the questions when asked, chooseing to ran off in some unknow direction. This even happened during the debate – if you could call it that! But when she did answer, she made no sense or had no clue. More interviews, please!

December 22, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  7. Bruce Wolf

And by that I mean, her ineptitude was evident enough. Just go away now, Mrs. Palin.

December 22, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. Sue

Biggest regret should be not studying your English grammar lessons in 6th grade. Second biggest should be not studying current events in 2007. Third should be thinking you were qualified for a major public office just because you were mayor of a city smaller than most boroughs in, say, the area around Pittsburgh. Fourth should be winning the gubernatorial election and proceeding immediately to work on Ethics Violations 101.

Let's see....well, that's enough for now.

Buh-bye.

December 22, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. Cynthia a conservative voter

Sarah Palin...Just shut up. You are an idiot. Just stop talking and making excuses. You were adraid to talk with the media. And when you did..."I can see Russia is my foreign policy", Which nespapers do you read? "I read all the Newspapers" Gee Wizz, Shucks is old. Give it up and go help bailout your pregnant daughter's boyfriends mother who is in trouble for having drugs.

December 22, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  10. Snoozer

Sarah who?

December 22, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  11. Jerry

Yeah, it is a real shame she didn't do more interviews... they were hilarious!

December 22, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. John Keating

The consultants were very wise not to let her be in contact with the media, as it would have exposed her lack of knowledge of the issues even more.

December 22, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. the commuter

She qualified the "more media" comment...with, "not the ones I would have chosen"...HMMMMMMMMMMMMM...Rush, Hannity, et al?

December 22, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  14. ed

Who cares? My 4th grader knows more about politics and government than idiot Palin....time to drop the subject. She is the worst candidate for anything I have ever witnessed.

December 22, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. kevin

Sarah,

The reason why you didn't get a chance with the media is because when you did have the opportunity you made yourself look like an idiot!!!!! They were saving you from your own stupidy! Be thankful

December 22, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  16. Julia Tampa,Fl

You all are a bunch of IDIOTS.
    Look what you have chosen for PE and VP. Now we have the BLOCK HOUSE, NO LONGER THE WHITE HOUSE. OBAMA IS A MORAN!!
    Sara Palin is a very inteligent person, and she is also very honest. ASK OBAMA IF HE IS HONEST!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING COMING OUT OF IS MOUTH IS A BALL OF CRAP.

December 22, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. Godluvr

To Nancy and Whom Else It May Concern,

Please don't bank on 2012. Banks are very unstable at this time! PE Obama will be your next president again!

December 22, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. From the West

Really tired of Palin and her inability to be accountable for herself.
    Please, stop doing stories on her. She is not relevant in national politics. Let's see if she can properly take care of the State of Alaska.

December 22, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  19. Buster

Does she mean real interviews with real reporters, or the typical Bush-type fluff setup with preset questions? Because we all saw how badly she fared in real interviews. This is just another example of her incredible hubris that led her to think she could fill the VP role. She is probably confusing her ability to incite trained crowds of GOP lemmings at rallies where she could simply recite her scripted talking points with the ability to actually answer pertinent questions by real (read: NOT Fox) journalists.

December 22, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. Don in Florida

They say that Bush kept us safe and they try to blame 9/11 on Clinton. Hmmmm....does that mean if we get attacked during Team Obama's reign we can blame it on Bush? We can say that at least Obama kept us safe too right? I wonder if Gore won in 2000 would it have happened? And if he won and it did happen, would the right wing blame him or Clinton. I bet they would be singing a different tune if that were the case.

December 22, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  21. G

Yes this was your problem lol.

December 22, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Hey Sugarskirt Palin!

Only a few little interviews were needed for America to realize you were WAY OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE!!!

If you would have done more interviews-you would have just given us more to make fun of!

Get off of your high horse, Palin!

December 22, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. Larry in Houston

Bruce, How's everything in the 'ol hometown ?

December 22, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. Cindy

I agree. I wish the McCain campaign let her loose from the getgo. Her candidacy would have been a heck of a lot more interesting. She went weeks and weeks of simply reading the same stump speech, without giving the media the opportunity for her to clarify herself. What a lost opportunity that was, to see the real, raw Sarah Palin. By the time she started talking, she was already overproduced, there were obviously, too much information stuffed in her brain. We will never know exactly who she was when we first met her on the national stage.

December 22, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. Hypocrites_are_everywhere

McCain & Palin are not dumb!

Those who voted for them are - same folks that voted for Bush (dumb draft dodger) and Cheney (crook - the white version of OJ Simpson) in '00/'04!

The problem with dumb people is that they don't know they are dumb!

I voted for Reagan and used to support McCain!

December 22, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |