December 22nd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: Not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Extra • Sarah Palin
  1. Ralph Lapagh

Do'n't worry Sarah, you WILL BE ELECTED IN 2012!!!!!!!!!
    Jerks like "Florida Joe" who doesn't have the balls to use his
    real name, will have found out what a horrible mistake this country
    has made electing this con artist to the White House!!! If there is no civil war in 2012, and the country isn't completely down the toilet,
    Sarah Palin will be begged to take the Whie House!!!!!!!!

Ralph A. LaPaugh
    Galveston, TEXAS. 77551

December 22, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. lc

Yes, I agree with her. She should've been allowed to talk more with the media during the campaign. That way, she can't blame her ineptitude on anyone but herself.

December 22, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. joe the plumber

Sarah PLEASE go away (forever)

December 22, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  4. big d

I think it is time to start a Sarah Palin bashing club. Sit around , drink beer and maybe read her soon to be published book.

December 22, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. John KeatingJim

I wish she had done more interviews. Many, many more. Oh what fun that would have been. (And who said that the media was biased against her–clearly they were very, very easy on her, knowing that she was exposing herself.)

December 22, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. SOMEONE PLEASE THROW ANOTHER PAIR OF SHOES @ GW!!!

........."and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen" – Sarah Pain-lin

so your multiple staged interviews with FALSENEWS, Greta Van Susteren, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh were not necessarily those you would have chosen, huh?!

PUHLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE...tell that to the birds and to those rednecks and right-wing blowhards that listen to you anywayz!

You said enough during your klan rallies so-called campaign, and Americans DID NOT like you low level intelligence....

Now you're free to pall around with your daughter, Bristol baby's daddy drug-dealer mom!

Americans do not want to hear anymore of your unintelligible gibberish in the media....enough already!

December 22, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  7. PL

Hey Matt, Palins in-laws are selling something that might help you out... The lady is an idiot, now get over it.

December 22, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  8. Jim

Maybe she should do more interviews on her tough stances – abortion, gay rights, etc and the face questions and explain how she instills values into her own family – that seems to be a challenge for her. Example, the pregnant teenager daughter whose future mother-in-law just got busted for trafficking oxycontin. This woman is an absolute joke. Why is it that the religious right can't see through her?

December 22, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. C Spurgeon

What a dizel. Hopefully she will stay in Alaska forever,,,We were lucky to dodge that one.

December 22, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  10. Grant

I wonder when she will issue a pardon for her future son-in-laws mother. Felony Drug Charges. I wonder how that will sit with Joe Six pack.

December 22, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. Angie

Well sarah i the problem was once you opened your mouth it was game over. My dear you sound and talk like a 10 year old. So it not that you should have been more open with the press. The truth is you were in way over your head. You are no more ready for national office then your daughter piper.

December 22, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  12. Paul DObro

I gotta some questions for ya:

Why was Bristol out of school for 5 months for Mono? And why is the "first time" mother now late when most teen moms have babies premature?

Here is your chance to make a stand on your victims paying for rape kits – Do you support the government giving rape kits to victims that includes Plan B contraception?

What is the appropriate level of interaction between a spouse and the elected official's job? Is it OK for them to call meetings, sit in on meetings, and make policy decisions?

WHAt was you GPA and why did you attend 4 schools and take 6 years to get your degree?

December 22, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  13. JoePub

I'm going to approach this answer in a current trendy Democratic comment style. "You Sarah Palin Haters need to be quiet". LOL, Where is "Haters" in the dictionary?

December 22, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. Don in Florida

Palin was in over her head. she shouldnt have accepted the VP nomination. I'd be very suprised if she ever gets the Republican Nomination for President. I'd be suprised if she even wins reelection in Alaska. I think it's called the Peter Principle. Where people rise to their level of incompetence.

December 22, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. Stu-Florida

Well now... talk about a Monday morning Quarterback...

IF she had more interviews those without internet access, like Mississippi, Alabama, and many of the other "Red States" may have been more informed about their decision..

IF I had 70 more legs, I could be the Rockettes.
    We didn't/ don't need anymore interviews, thank you. Yours were enough Sarah!!

December 22, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. CC PENNES

GIVE IT UP GIRL , STAY IN ALASKA AND GIVE UP THE THOUGHT OF EVER RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, YOU HAD A SHOT AT 15 MIN. OF FAME NOW IT'S OVER WALK QUIETLY INTO THE SUNSET THAT WOULD GIVE US ALL A BREAK!!!!!

December 22, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  17. matt in a hat

Go sit on it matt.No one needs a friend like you.

December 22, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  18. Julia Tampa,Fl

OBAMA BRAIN WASHED ALL OF YOU, AND SOON YOU SEE THE BIG CHANGE HE AS PROMISED. THE ONLY CHANGE YOU WILL HAVE IS IN YOUR POCKET.

December 22, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  19. Jayne

More media interviews = more designer clothing from the RNC. By the way, was the $150,000 in new threads really given to charity, or was it returned to Nordstrom's, etc. for refunds as "not a good fit?"

December 22, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  20. Barbara

Would I vote for her? No. But I cannot imagine what a snore the race would have been without Sarah Palin. It had stopped being exciting with Hillary's exit. Palin/Fey made it fun.

December 22, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  21. Mike from CT

The reason she wasn't "allowed" to speak to the media is because she's unable to formulate a coherent sentence. It's like her mind is saying one thing, her mouth is saying another, and she's never able to get the two in sync. I constantly have to read or playback what she says 3 or 4 times just to figure out what she was trying to say.

December 22, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  22. joe

Sarah, you one hot hockey mon. You should show us your bikini to get more votes. Hope you still run for 2012. Don't pick MacPain, he is out of touch.

December 22, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  23. JIMBISCIELLO

WE ALL OWE KATY COURIC A GREAT DEAL FOR EXPOSING THIS PERSON.

December 22, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  24. B.O. by any other name is still b.o.

Being a republican that was totally against Obama and just about every solution he has, Palin was still a bad choice.

McCain of 2000 would have been a good choice, McCain of 2008 was someone I did not recognize.

The republicans missed the message, trickle down economics works when congress let's it happen. congress screws things up when they think they are smarter than everyone else and try to fix the natural swings of a our economy. Then things really get screwed up because they break something else and it's a bigger mess. Just look at what's happening now. It will come back worse then when it started. Clinton's idea to stir the housing market by reducing qualifications of buyers crashed the banking industry which is why we are where we are today. Yet all these democrats still belive he was the greatest president ever before Obama. Let's just wait to see how badly his decisions come back to haunt us in the future.

Too bad there Palin couldn't take the message to the people and McCain just turned ugly and Obama had too much money. first time ever the presidency was bought!

December 22, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. Lola from the left coast

La Bimba has been smokin' too much crack with her daughter's baby-daddy's mama.

December 22, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |