December 22nd, 2008

Poll: One in five think Cheney is worst VP in U.S. history

Cheney doesn’t get high marks in a new CNN/ORC poll.
Cheney doesn’t get high marks in a new CNN/ORC poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A new national poll suggests that one of out of five Americans think that Dick Cheney is the worst vice president in American history.

Twenty-three percent of those questioned in a CNN-Opinion Research Corporation survey released Tuesday say that Cheney is the country's worst vice president, when compared to his predecessors. Another 41 percent feel that Cheney is a poor vice president, with 34 percent rating him a good number two.

Only 1 percent of those polled say that Cheney is the best vice president in U.S. history.

"On the Sunday talk shows, Cheney took on the job of making the affirmative case for the Bush legacy," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "But the messenger may be getting in the way of the message."

Cheney steps down as vice president on January 20. He will be succeeded by Vice President-elect Joe Biden.

He will leave office as one of the most powerful vice presidents in history. He played a crucial role in many of the Bush administration's crucial policies and was a major proponent of using and expanding executive powers.

"Cheney still has a lot of fans in the Republican party. Most Republicans nationwide said Cheney had been a good veep," Holland adds. "But six in ten independents and eight in tem Democrats gave Cheney a rating of 'poor' or 'worst ever.'"

In interviews this past weekend, the vice president said he was not troubled by polls that suggested he was unpopular and he was critical of those who spend too much time reading surveys.

The CNN/Opinion Research poll was conducted Friday through Sunday, with 1,013 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: CNN poll • Dick Cheney
  1. TyWebb

He's such a nice ogre.

December 22, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  2. BB

I wasn't polled – add another to the "worst".

December 22, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. Realist

I would be surprised if the people who were polled could actually name 5 Vice Presidents. Stupid story.

December 22, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  4. bill

I don't know where Dick Cheney ranks among other vice presidents, and he is wealthy, but he is one of the most mean spirited, cruel, dispicable politicians to grace the American scene in many years.

The man exudes hate, prejudice, and meaness.

December 22, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Mike

Cheney is an evil man that promotes his narrow, conservative agenda with an iron fist regardless of the will of the people. He would just as soon have the President be the King of the country. I don't believe he is an honorable man, I think he's a shrewd politican that lost his way with drunken power many years ago.

December 22, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  6. JJ, Illinois

It's scary that 4 out of 5 don't think he was the worst veep ever!

December 22, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  7. Peejay

In addition, I think he's a poor excuse for a human being.

December 22, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  8. george

I think him, and about half a dozen others should be tried for treason.Bush is just a puppet

December 22, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  9. Tim

Cheney was the evil mastermind behind this administration. He boldly announced that he's accountable to no one and will do what he pleases. This guy should definately be investigated for many conflicts of interest in the Iraq scandal and be tried for war crimes. I think GW was his puppet most of the time. Bad man.....very bad man.

December 22, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. LYNETTE IN CA

I don't know who you're polling?? I know a lot of people and none of them like bush or cheney!

One in five seems high.

Try one in 50. That may be pushing it too!!!

December 22, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. Top Ten Most Admired In America

10. Katie Couric/ David Letterman
    9. General Petraus
    8. Colin Powell
    7. Oprah Winfrey
    6. Tim Russert
    5. Anderson Cooper
    4. Caroline Kennedy
    3. Rupert Murdock
    2. Joe Biden
    1. Barack Obama

December 22, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  12. Mike Matthews

He was the right man at the right time!

Those that do not like him are expressing sour grapes over losing the election twice in a row.

I personally rank him very high -he was a very good VP.

December 22, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  13. Peace

Together with his boss, they have made history.

December 22, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  14. LYNETTE IN CA

Oops – my bad. I read this wrong.

Try one in two. How's that??

December 22, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  15. Judy

His "SO" response says it all about this man.

December 22, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  16. Jack

What a headline CNN.. so what that means is 4 out of 5 DO NOT believe he was the worst VP in history. What a spin job. What are you going to do when the Obama team takes office... who will you bash then?

December 22, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  17. Matt

I'm still trying to figure out why the guy needs a pacemaker...he's so obviously heartless.

December 22, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  18. Ian Minneapolis, MN

UGH! I saddens/angers me......The ONE witness that the prosecution had again cheney in the email scandal suddenly DIES in a PLANE crash. HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS HAPPENED! It's NOT FAIR. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE BEING RAPED EVERYDAY!!! Indirectly, yes, but definantly. I hate this place, and the human race. We are all going to blow each other up over petty political grudges. Hmph, at least Bush worked things out with his dad.

December 22, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. John Gracchi

When you Have A Bad Heart it Stays with you to the End-The Said part is that I am Not Qualified to do the next surgey on Dick!

December 22, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Only one in five?! Why doesn't everyone realize how bad he is? We're talking about a man who should be in a maximum security prison. I'd bet that the only reason he's still alive is because he has a pact with Satan.

December 22, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. Buckeye

Only 20%? Just goes to show how bad real education is.

December 22, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Bill

I don't know if he was the worst, but I sure the heck would not want him to have a key to my car or house.

December 22, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. Dr Stoner

Whats the message DICK, GW had a private agenda and 9/11 gave him the chance to impliment it. You, are just a 2nd in command, the YES SIR THREE BAGS FULL SIR, guy. Wheres Osama, why did you let him get away. Oh, so GW could get a new air base on the Iranian border, was it worth the TRILLION DOLLARS and the lives. Who are you kidding, YOU AND YOUR CREW STINK. YOU RAN A WAR ON THE PREMISE THE TAIL WAGS THE DOG. PERIOD.

December 22, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. mike

Only one in five?!?! I find that hard to believe.

December 22, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. Keith in CA

Who are the fools in the 1% who think he's the best VP? The CEOs of KBR, Blackwater, Chevron, Exxon, and Halliburton?

December 22, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |