December 23rd, 2008

A long lens photo stirs debate

ALT TEXT

For the Obama family, vacations will never be the same.

President-elect Obama isn't the only politician or head of state to be popular with the paparazzi: French President Nicolas Sarkozy is a fixture in the European tabloids, as are the British royals - who have endured decades of interrupted vacations.

And photos of presidents on vacation are nothing new - many remember seeing images of Ronald Reagan on his horse in California. Whether it's golfing or fishing, the demand for a photo of the commander-in-chief at play has always been high. But with the president-elect, it's at a whole new level.

Yesterday on the golf course, Obama told the press corps he'd buy them some beer if they'd just leave him alone for a little while. Now pictures from the paparazzi trailing the president-elect and his family on vacation in Hawaii have sparked new questions about presidential privacy. (Photo credit: Bauergriffinonline.com)

–CNN's Ted Rowlands

Watch: A photographer gets close enough to the Obama family to snap dozens of photos on the beach.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Duane in Philly

He needs to do more pushups and flies in order to lift up those sagging pecs.

December 23, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. david

Welcome to having no privacy and all your decisions being ripped apart!!! Your family is next, enjoy it you egomaniac!!!

December 23, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. Jo

PILF

December 23, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Morgan

I want the new bumber sticker "My President can kick you Leaders Butt!"

December 23, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. Dean

This guy's a joke...you people in America really know how to pick'em!! Ha ha ha.

December 23, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

CWhite December 23rd, 2008 3:03 pm ET

He looks like a young Arnold! He must be hanging out with Barry Bonds,,,,WOW! What a hot bod!
    -----------------
    Barry Bonds, did you say...?

Barry Bonds looks like an inflatable blow-up doll.

Please, for everybody's sake, say no to crack!

December 23, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. Drew

So why is this new we ask?

For one, I can't recall ever seeing a media (and a public because we buy what they sell) so fascinated with a male political figure that paparazzi-like photos of them in swimwear appear on the internet. How many people would have even read an article about Dubya in a swimsuit? An exception of course must be made for The Governator because he had a body-building celebrity status before his political carrer began. So the fact that people are fascinated by this is interesting enough to make it news.

And yes, it's a bit lame that news creates news.

December 23, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  8. Adam Smith TX, USA

Thats how paparazzi EARN a bad reputation. Leave the man alone. Don't we all need some private moments like a vacation!!!

December 23, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. bibi

A bit skinni for me, but do love the picture

December 23, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. Elizabeth

Does it bother anyone else that while I'm pulling every dime I have together to give my kids each one present for Christmas, or President-Elect is vacationing in Hawaii, buying drinks for all?

December 23, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. Taa Taa

ooolala!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad I voted for this man..... oooooooowwwwwwwwweeeeeeeee!!!!!!

December 23, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. Laverne

Michelle will be envied by women all over the world! New rule: NO INTERNS IN THE WHITE HOUSE!

December 23, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. Sheryl

Oh YEAH!!!! President Elect Obama you are the man!!!!!!

December 23, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. Steve

He looks in great shape and is also very active in sports and working out when he get the chance. I don't think anyone would want to see Bush or any of the Ex-Presidents with their shirts off.

NOT EVEN HILLERY..

December 23, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. debra from Georgia

President Elect going to send all of us to the gym, to be admired, go president elect.

December 23, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. obama-mama

I'm doing the Happy To See you President Dance....lol.....

December 23, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. Kimberly from Houston, TX

PILF

December 23, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. Denise

This is just plain nasty you shouldn't lust after a president but I think someone just changed that rule. OBAMA is hot!

December 23, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

I suggest for every shot a paparazzi takes,we the public get to take a shot at one of them!

Hey, fair's fair. Now where did I put my AK47?

December 23, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. Barb

I would rather have a wonderful looking Prez than some of the ones that were in office in the early part of the 20th Century – with big bellies and horribly overweight.

December 23, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  21. obama-mama

@ David – Don't hate.....

December 23, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. EW

Guess no one has ever heard of telephoto lenses. THe photographer was probably hundreds of yards away so all of you Obamabots can calm down.

December 23, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  23. obama-mama

Naquib lay off the crack.

December 23, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  24. cherrystrawberry

JO said "PILF"

I totally agree. AGAIN & AGAIN

December 23, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  25. Dave in Houston

What's the problem? I remember seeing a picture of JFK in a bathing suit, back in the day when bathing suits weren't knee-length. I believe he was with his kids.

Have we become that prudish?

As far as privacy is concerned: sorry, but when you are the leader of the free world, you can expect full-time press coverage. After your two glorious terms are over, Mr. President-elect, you can then request some privacy.

December 23, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |