December 23rd, 2008

Internal Obama report: No inappropriate contacts with Blagojevich

Internal report states no inappropriate contacts were made between Obama aides and Blagojevich.

(CNN) - An internal report compiled by the Obama transition team concludes that neither President-elect Obama nor his aides - including incoming Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel - had any "inappropriate" contacts with embattled Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich or Blagojevich's staff.

The report states that there is "no indication of inappropriate discussions with the governor or anyone from his office about a 'deal' or a quid pro quo arrangement in which he would receive a personal benefit in return for any specific appointment to fill the vacancy."

The report states that Obama himself had no "contact or communication with Governor Blagojevich or members of his staff about the Senate seat."

FBI agents arrested Blagojevich on December 9 after federal prosecutors alleged, among other things, that he had tried to "sell" Obama's former Senate seat. It is the sole authority of the Illinois governor to name a successor who would serve the remaining two years of Obama's term.

Filed under: Obama transition • Rod Blagojevich
  1. Jonathan Edwards

And lets remember.... Everyone gets due process of the law - even Blagojevich. So lets hold off our judgements until more evidence is released.

December 23, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  2. Eloise

Oh yeah... and internal report clearing themselves. Hmmm? That's like me saying no I didn't do anything wrong and it coming from my own mouth... let a federal investigation be done. I won't believe a word coming from the Oministration!

December 23, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. ahmad

I think the dude Blago is just misunderstood. Yea he got cought on tape trying to sell O's seat. So what he was holding money from a hospital full of dying kids, and I think I even seen video footage of him kicking a puppy. You have to put your self in his shoes. Hes doing what he has to do in order to survive. This is how things went down in his hood.

December 23, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  4. America loses.

I have a joke, what does Obama, Robert Kennedy and Abraham Lincoln have in common?

Nothing, Barack has yet to do anything, but is compared to the two greatest Presidents of our history. Give me a break, you kool-aid drinkers, wake up, and see how pathetic things will become, and how worse off we will all be with his BIG EARRED, DO NOTHING, SIT BACK AND RUIN OUR LIVES PRESIDENT TO BE.

December 23, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. malclave

How many people here would be satisfied with a report from Pres. Bush's counsel stating that his administration had done nothing wrong?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Good job on your double standards.

December 23, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  6. naqib

News flash:

Bush and Cheney have done an internal investigation and concluded that they've made no bad choices over the last eight years and will be highly regarded by the world.

LOL

December 23, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  7. America loses.

Thanks for the change in politics with your transparancy NOT.

Barack you are a just business as usual, Chicago style.

December 23, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. Perusing-Through

I told you so!

December 23, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  9. California Gold

Trouble is Blagojevich is poison, but he is Illinois' Governor thus both Emanuel and Obama (as Congressmen for Illinois) had to contact their during the ordinary course of business, including resigning for 2009 positions (Chief of State and President). But it doesn't equate corruption or inappropriate conduct. Blagojevich is still poison.

December 23, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. Perusing-Through

I guess Obama's Republican critics are eating crow now . . .

December 23, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. To robert bock

robert bock December 23rd, 2008 5:57 pm ET

obama is sure feeling the bad times that most of us are feeling oh, he is on vacation, i forgot.
    --------------------------------
    Obama is rich, why would he be feeling these hard economic times? But the major difference between Obama and a lot of Republicans is that Obama was there once, has not been bought, and works for We The People instead of the highest bidder/corporation that buy almost all Republicans and even corrupts a lot of Dems.

December 23, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. Mari

GOOD! But...... this wont quiet the far-right-nuts on the blogs nor will it quiet Limbaugh the comedian, nor BillyO-the-clown..... nor Hannity-the-hater. These fools make a living out of slander, lies, hate and division. Idiots will continue to listen to them!

However, the TRUTH is the TRUTH and whether the far-right-nuts believe or not, the TRUTH is out for us all.

HOPE TRUMPS LIES, HATE & DIVISION!

December 23, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  13. bill

i am just plain sick of this media circus over ill.govenor.here the banks have RIPPED OFF TAX PAYERS AGAIN.AND ALL CNN AND REST OF THIS CORRUPT MEDIA .CAN DO is look at crap that dont mean anything. COME ON CNN HOLD EXECUTIVES OF BANKS ACCOUNTABLE.

December 23, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. AP from Illinois

This is situation is a dream come true for the GOP haters. It can be played one of two ways directly from the Republican playbook.

1) The insinuation card. If Barack Obama doesn't comment until all of the facts come out after Blago is tried and/or impeached, then the GOP will just continue to say, "What is he hiding?" The question itself implies guilt. People are tired of insinuation and innuendo. It only works on people with short attention spans anyway.

2) The lying skeptic card. Barack Obama releases a statement/report basically saying that he had no innappropriate involvement. It is very likely to be true! The GOP comes back with, of course he is going to say that. Liars aren't going to admit they are lying.

It's a win-win in the mind of the Sean Hannity/Rush Limbaugh crowd. One thing is that they are overestimating the American people who are tired of that kind of politics. We elected an honest guy folks. Not the usual divisive propagandists that the Republicans normally provide. The adults are finally in charge. Get used to it.

December 23, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  15. flybyshoeing

Dave, Illionois
    When did the MSM ever go ballistic over anything Bush has done.? Pre-emptive War? NO. Torture, NO. Enhanced terragation? NO. Valerie Plame, NO? Economic collapse?NOThe 700 B bailout?NO.
    Please, give us all a hint.

December 23, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. Arthur James

Whenever I investigate myself, I never find anything wrong with me either.

December 23, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  17. Yosh

I used to think that Republicans intended to mean good but they luck the information needed to be objectivity, rational and sound. Now I clearly see that most cannot comprehend ideas rationally and they don’t know they are devoid of basic understanding about the world we share. Forgive me, now I am thinking they may luck the mental capacity to be objective and rational. It is possible that may be Sarah Palin is the smartest person in the Republican Party? I hope I am not right.

December 23, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  18. JEAN

The media live in a different world and continue to insult American People intelligence!! How sad!

PE and American people are on the same page!

December 23, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  19. LuckyLeoNJ

You have to admit that an investigation BY the Obama team INTO the Obama team is obviously going to be skewed. Kinda reminds me of a certain frigid Governor of some certain frigid state having a panel of personal political appointees conclude there was no unethical behavior in some certain State Police firing scandal. The only difference here is that it was first concluded that the Governor DID violate state ethics laws by an independent, bipartisan panel and, as far as I can tell, there has been nothing to contradict the findings of the Obama investigation. Not from Patrick Fitzgerald or even Blago, himself!

How soon we forget and embellish...

December 23, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  20. Yosh

I used to think that Republicans intended to mean good but they luck the information needed to be objectivity, rational and sound. Now I clearly see that most cannot comprehend ideas rationally and they don’t know they are devoid of basic understanding about the world we share. Forgive me, now I am thinking they may lack the mental capacity to be objective and rational. It is possible that may be Sarah Palin is the smartest person in the Republican Party? I hope I am not right on this one.

December 23, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  21. earle,provincetown

Please, this poor guy, P-E Obama has more on his plate than any former president could ever have thought imaginable! Just having to spend precious time clearing his administration of any wrong doing is pathetic. He's trying,and no one can deny that,with the lame duck doing everything posible to hamper his hand-off, I give P-E Obama the benefit of doubt! Merry Christmas PE Obama,...

December 23, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  22. Yosh

I used to think that Republicans intended to mean good but they lack the information needed to be objectivity, rational and sound. Now I clearly see that most cannot comprehend ideas rationally and they don’t know they are devoid of basic understanding about the world we share. Forgive me, now I am thinking they may luck the mental capacity to be objective and rational. It is possible that may be Sarah Palin is the smartest person in the Republican Party? I hope I am not right on this one.

December 23, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  23. flybyshoeing

Why are so many skeptical about the internal report. At least they did one. I am still waiting for the Bush internal report on the outing of Valerie Plame. Remember that promise. "I will fire anyone on my staff if they are involved." Good thing we all didn't hole our breath waiting. Cheney just admitted to being involved.

December 23, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  24. Rev. Bon

robert bock,

I was on vacation last week...and so were many other people where we vacationed at. And I'm no where near rich. What are you trying to say about people who take vacations during recessions. You mean NO ONE can enjoy themselves if they work hard all year long if there is a recession. Not only that Hawaii is where he was raised....most of his family is there you idiot!

December 23, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |