December 23rd, 2008

Palin's biggest campaign regret: not enough media interviews

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

(CNN) - Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin’s biggest mistake of the presidential campaign: not enough time with the media, the Alaska governor said in an interview published Monday.

“The biggest mistake made was that I could have called more shots on this: the opportunities that were not seized to speak to more Americans via media,” she told Human Events.

“I was not allowed to do very many interviews, and the interviews that I did were not necessarily those I would have chosen. But I was so thankful to have the opportunity to run with John McCain that I was not going to argue with the strategy decisions that some of his people were making regarding the media contacts.

“But if I would have been in charge, I would have wanted to speak to more reporters because that’s how you get your message out to the electorate.

Palin also said she was uncomfortable leaving the campaign’s management to people she did not know well. “I was in a campaign in which I did not know the people individually running the campaign. So I had to put my life, my career, my family, and my reputation in their hands. That’s kind of a scary thing to do when you don’t know the people you are working with,” said the Alaska governor.

Palin has been the target of tough criticism, much of it anonymous, from senior McCain aides since the end of the campaign.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. thinkaboutit

Ok, Sarah, let me put it to you this way, you were put on a leash ON PURPOSE. The McCain staff knew just as much about you as we did. All that Gibson and Couric did, through very simple questions, was reveal to the REST OF US how much you DID NOT KNOW. SNL didn't even have to write new material to spoof you. It's fine to run on the platform of being an "outsider maverick" but at least know how the game is played – even if you refuse to play it. You biggest mistake was to underestimate how you'd be received in ALL of America and not just Alaska and the bible belt.

December 23, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  2. Leslie Walker

Then you could have angered more Americans and McCainn would have lost by a bigger landslide!! Please shut up and sray in Alaska!! You are an arrogant, ignorant, shallow minded woman!

December 23, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  3. Alan, minnesota

it was painfully obvious that she wasn't doing enough interviews. people in the media started pointing that out almost immediately. That's still no excuse for not knowing anything about anything. She can say they weren't the interviews of her choice or she was uncomfortable with the people that were running the campaign all she wants. The fact still remains that she really has no substance. thats's why they lost so badly. Its been almost 2 months now...Stop making excuses.

December 23, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  4. SAD SAD

you will have your time sarah....intelligent people dont talk too much.

December 23, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  5. M

Ah, yea right.

December 23, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  6. Kasha

Whateva!

December 23, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  7. Accountant Guy

Please just go away and continue being corrupt in Alaska!!

December 23, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  8. Glenn Harvey

Yep, she shouda put her foot down on that aspect. It almost seemed as if her handlers set her up to look bad.

December 23, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  9. Josh

PLEASE GO AWAY!!!!!!!
    They must have told you to say; " I can see Russia from window". How about Your " two Americas". you were rejected because of your devisiveness, your extremist views, calling Obama a terrorist sympathiser, your whole Joe Six Pack crap trying to be one of us but spending 180k on clothes for you, Todd and the Kids( Hocky Mom).
    If Rush LinDruggie is yours and the GOP's way to the White house, you are gonna be trying for a long time, moose mama.
    Those guys are professionals, don't cast the reasons for your stupidity on them.

December 23, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  10. M.H.

She spoke ENOUGH to put the writing on the wall ..... that she has an intellectual deficit. More interviews would have just been more foot in mouth syndrome. I, for one, could barely tolerate what I DID see and hear. I hope the woman has ANOTHER baby and stays OUT of the political media. As I age, my tolerance level drastically decreases. 🙂

December 23, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  11. jim

When is Palin going to finally evaporate from the national public eye? I am so tired of her tactics toward making such a lovely comment about someone and then slingshotting said person with some derisive, bitter comment. That alone should tell all about her insecure, immature, I'm such a victim of circumstances personality. There's certain people I wouldn't want as neighbors and she is one of them. Her "poor me" mentality needs to vanish quickly and admit the fact that the campaign is all said and done. Grow up Sarah. Nobody wants to vote for a person with such childish behavior. If you really want to be goddess of the United States of America, well then you need to be a "big girl." My toddler, age five, has more maturity then you. Thank you.

December 23, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  12. Carlos

Humm after seeing here in the few intervies she did. You can see why the didn't let her do more.....

December 23, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  13. Monk

It's time to get this incoherent moron out of the news. Enough!!!

December 23, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  14. obama-mama

Is this clown serious....She wanted to pick and choose the interviews? She should have been at all times ready to answer simple questions thrown to her at all the interviews she had. I'm not sure if she wanted questions like, recite the alphabet or count from one to 10....This nut has to realize that the kids on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader are more knowledgeable than Sarah Palin. Sarah stop with the excuses.....There is no do-over like George Bush would have liked.....

December 23, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  15. Florida Joe

To Ralph Lapagh...Your comment

Being from the state that gave us this idiot for the past 8 years, I would expect nothing less that you thinking Sarah is great.......

December 23, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  16. stara robota

I thought we heard enough already....

December 23, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  17. Tony

Give em a break. This woman couldn't complete a thought or sentence if her life depended on it. We should all thatnk God that she did NOT give anymore imbecilic interviews than she did.

What a joke!

December 23, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  18. Henry Brock

The media and democrats are just jealous of Sarah Palin because she is so smart. How smart? Well, she almost won a beauty pagent! I don't think Obama ever did that! Plus she stood up to the democrats that tried to make her take that plane and build that bridge to nowhere. Then they ask her dumb questions like "why aren't her kids in school instead of out electorizing?" Well, for you liberal out there...ever heard of the international date line? See, when you go above it, it's a different season, so it was not school time up in Alaska!!! DUH !!! Palin will be back in 2012 and she will win!!!! Brains will win next time and the liberals will know how dumb they are !!!!

December 23, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  19. Debbie

So she was uncomfortable with people she didn't know well, but yet not uncomfortable enough to greet them in a towel.
    Also, she says "if I would have been in charge"-well maybe she was intimidated by the handlers, but being easily intimidated is not a good trait in a vice president!
    Also too, none of her remarks explain the fact that she could not answer even the most simple questions clearly (what newspapers to you read, Sarah?)

December 23, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  20. We Demand Our Country Back!

yeah, more media interviews...cause the others went so well the first time.
    Just be quiet and wait to be unseated in AK you failure.

December 23, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  21. rubywyld

Seriously?? This woman is delusional.

December 23, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  22. Otis

Let me get this straight: it is other people's fault that you are not smart; have no concept of the world beyond Wasalia; you are totally uninformed about basic issues and geography; and you did not even know the basics of the job you were asking us to give you. Its everybody fault but yours.

That's like blaming flies for garbage.

December 23, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  23. Bambolini

I wish she had made more interviews. That would have provided SNL with so much material to work with. Too bad !

btw, did her daughter give birth yet?

December 23, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  24. patNY

She's such a piece of work! I thought the media were the bad guys according to her complaints before she lost! Sorry, but your biggest mistake was joining the ticket in the first place, second biggest mistake, was opening your big fat mouth...the list goes one!

December 23, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  25. LCB

If she was not comfortable with the situation, she should not have joined the ticket. McCain did not have her on the ticket because she was the best choice, he hoped she would sway some of the Clinton supporters to vote Republican. They both acted in such a way that would help them personally, but not the nation as whole.

December 23, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |