December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Polar Bears Against Palen

You are a windbag Robertson. Give it up. Nobody cares.

December 24, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  2. Mickie

It's pretty bad when Pat Robertson praises the opposition. Next he'll be supporting gays, abortion and who knows what else.

December 24, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  3. obama-mama

Eat your redneck hearts out.......

December 24, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  4. Scott NYC Independent

The man is only being honest and objective. I thought all the republicans that honored the eighth commandmnent. I'm impressed.

December 24, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  5. Scott NYC Independent

I thought all the Republicans that honored the eighth commandment were no longer on this earth. Robertson is being honest and objective and I respect him for his truth. Now if he can convince the rest of his party to admit errors and mistakes, be honest and forthright maybe they can be viable again.

December 24, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  6. Real Change

This headline should have been prefaced with the line: In a desperate attempt to stay relevant....

December 24, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  7. Arkansas4Obama

This is OFFICIALLY the DEATH of the ReThuglican Party!!!!

CHANGE HAS COME.................YES WE DID!!!

December 24, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. naqib

Dang... you know people aren't happy when the church comes down on the Republicans.

December 24, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  9. Chuck

Who cares what this man thinks except for the bible thumpers.

December 24, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  10. Joe Fox

This sounds like one closed mind calling another closed mind bad. The pot and the kettle black.

December 24, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  11. patNY

Quick, what's the latest Weather Report from He||?

December 24, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  12. Let

I am hoping Republicans and Democrats, along with Liberals, come together to help President Elect Obama. We have so much damage to fix in this country and I am quite please with Obama's cabinet thus far.

December 24, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  13. Gary of El Centro, Ca

He would grade him a C- ? Give me a break.......if there was a grade lower than F, that's where Bush would be.

December 24, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  14. Marie

I agree with the preacher for the first time in a LONG LONG time

December 24, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  15. Mike Mc

Wow..hell has frozen over. It appears the republican party is worse off than even I suspected.

December 24, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  16. virginia for obama

WELL- SAID "PAT." I don't dislike Bush or think that he is a bad person. But I think he really did'nt know what is was doing.

December 24, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  17. cherrystrawberry

WOW!

December 24, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  18. Fred Evil

If only Robertson could have been this honest over the last eight years, instead of kicking the man as he's down and leaving.

Didn't buy you any points with me Robertson, 3-4 years ago it might, but now you're only saying what everybody already knows.

December 24, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  19. Evangeline

A Republican telling the plain truth with no spin....now, that's a new idea.

December 24, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  20. Dan, FL

Pat does not understand sand likes to blame Bush administration. Congress is run by democrats for the last two years and they are the ones fully responsible for the economic/mortgage crisis. Barack or Pat can show fingers at Bush but we were having good times until 2006.

December 24, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Terry

I think Pat's grading system is off a little. The more appropriate gread is "F".

December 24, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  22. Anonymous

Amen to Robertson.....
    The truth has come to light.

December 24, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. Denise Colorado

A C-. He's AWOL right now.

December 24, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  24. He sees the light

Looks Like Pat Robertson has finally seen the light about the Rethugs.

December 24, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. cq

A grade of C- ?? That's being too kind. Personally, I give him a BIG FAT "F". Look at the shape of our country !! It's inexcusable. He's the worst president ever and has done a lot of damage.

December 24, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |