December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Hating for the holidays

I love George Bush.

December 24, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  2. Pat

Robertson is an idiot. Glad to see he is finally wising up some.

December 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  3. david Armendale, SF, CA

Yo, SG

Pat made no comment whatsoever about crediting Obama for handling the financial mess. Did you pull that out of your rear end boy? girl? And stay with me now, Obama is NOT yet President. I know you Limbaugh listeners have been spoon fed the sophistry that Obama is somehow to blame for the recession, but you really do need to test your logic once in a while. Your processing of thought will only continue to be hampered by prolonged exposure to insidious half-baked Hannityisms and Limbaughlogic.
    The good news is that if Pat can come around when reality is too compelling to ignore, there may still be hope for you too.

Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  4. Chris

Hey Kathy in Florida; that is WAY tolerant of you, but then again, I have come to expect nothing less from all you 'open minded and tolerant' people. Have Merry Christmas, hate monger.

December 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  5. Melissa

I'd give Bush more than a c minus but at least it nice to see that even former supporters of Bush are sick of him.

Obama! Obama! Obama!

We need him badly.

December 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  6. Anonymous

To Chip Lusko:
    What do you really know about the likes of "God?" I think that you project way too much of your judgmental attitude on to your God.

As for Robertson, it's encouraging to see what appears to be him putting truth before party affiliation. Surprising. . .but encouraging.

December 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  7. j

"serious goofs" isn't exactly the terms I'd use. It's more like gross incompetence, criminal, arrogance, and just plain out out of touch with reality. I don't just blame Bush/Cheney, Congress and many of Americans went along for the ride when they should have been taking action or screaming in protest.

December 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  8. Irwin

IF Robertson gives him a C-, imagine what he REALLY deserves. Considering his shameful record on the environment and social issues, that gives him a D- to F right from the beginning – and the only place to go is dowwwwwwwwn.

December 24, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  9. Polar Bears Against Palen

LMAO! The right-wing lunatic fringe is coming on board again.

December 24, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. JA/TN

America and the world is at a crossroads and need to drop the phony labels and work together to solve domestic and global problems

December 24, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. Winslow

Katrina wasn't all that bad ultimately. Once the levees broke it was going to be bad no matter who was in charge. All the sensational coverage turned out to ultimately be wrong. Bush didn't do a bad job; there was just a matter of perception.

December 24, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. smart

@@@ WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good list of accomplishments by 8 yrs of Bush administration ...

December 24, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. FreeNLovIt

To Welcome to the Obama Show

Excuse me, but $1.00 a day to help people on welfare does not equate to 5 trillion dollars which went straight to FAT and LAZY RICH people. Shame on you!!!

December 24, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. California Gold

Robertson is entitled to his opinion. My opinion is Bush has earned an F-

December 24, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. John Galt of Colorado

WHO IS JOHN GALT?

December 24, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  16. Arby Alwaysright

Like I said...the Raving, Ranting Right Wing Rabble thinks Robertson is a race traitor. Many of the previous posts just prove my point.

For once Robertson is right, not right wing.

Thank God for President Obama.

December 24, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  17. TJ

To all the tolerant people here I say Merry Christmas and God Bless you on this holiest of weeks. Thank God there is freedom of Religion in this country.

Christianity is cool.

December 24, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. FreeNLovIt

The poor lives on pennies and dimes. The rich on Trillions.... Go explain the madness...

December 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  19. John E Lexington KY

Pat Robinson is an evil influence on politics. What did he do to help the victims of Katrina? What force did he bring to bare on Bush at the time to help them? Republicans are reptilian in their pursuit and understanding of power. Cold-blooded and carnivorous; particularly those who claim they are god and god's hands. I can't even fathom good intentions in anything they do at this point. Robinson should have been laughed out of any prominence long ago.

December 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. Clatchy

Pat Robertson is as irrelevent and out-of-touch as Jimmy Carter...and I wouldn't expect a story like this NOT to be on the front page of cnn.com...All Hail Obama HEIL!

December 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. Richard Rohde

Isn't it nice that Repubicans can admit their mistakes, even if they aren't wrong. When was the last time a damocrat admitted a mistake or resigned when caught red handed breaking the law, Blago, Rangel, Kwame Fitzpatric, the Fords of Memphis, William Jefferson (he finally got voted out) but the rest of the damocratic criminals are still there,and its scary that Hussein, the sainted President elect has so little knowledge of goings on in his own state or with his fellow damocratic governor. Strains credibility, doesn't it? You know this is probably dangerous, those damocrats absolutely hate anyone who did not drink the Kool Aid.

December 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  22. sick n tired

To Welcome to the Obama show: At least Obama isn't the KING of domestic terrorism like Bush! REFUTE THAT!!!!!!!

December 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Sanity has Returned

I guess the membership drives for the 700 Club has taken a big hit in this economy. My hope for the new year is that the Obama haters get spell check for their long winded posts.
    (Brian December 24th, 2008 11:46 am ET) wrote: The liberals, who have had control of congress for the last 2 years, put out legislation and made Americans believe that everyone should have a nice house and nice things. That is not the case. You work for what you get. If you don't work you don't eat.

Brian, I challenge you to post those pieces of legislation (bill #'s) which states that everyone is entitled to a nice house and nice things without having to work for them. And since you didn't mention the bank bailout, what do you think about that? Funny that Obama isn't in charge yet, but your magic 8 ball you received for christmas last year has advised you that Obama will do an even worse job.

December 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  24. Obama Girl

Thank you for the support for Obama, Pat Robertson, but it's too little, too late. Barack Obama is going to be sworn in as President any day now, and George W. Bush is hiding in an undisclosed location to avoid being shot at by Dick Cheney. I agree with most of what you said, which is surprising, because I'm a Democrat and I thought you hated us. I do a pretty good Sarah Palin impression, and I hear you are a fan of hers. Sarah Palin is like what you would get if you crossed George W. Bush with... well... umm... me! Anyway, I heard you were friends with God. Can you buy me some tickets to heaven? I heard that place was awesome and I wanna go check it out! I have enough money to afford indulgences, don't worry.

December 24, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. Dust

Ok so I just read your list of reasons that our country is falling apart. And yes they are very good points and are a lot of the reasons we are coming apart, but you also have to look at the creator of most of the issues. Most of those problems stem from President bush and his policies he has set forth. But what we as country need to do is stop pointing fingers at what caused the problem because it doesn't matter now, we are in the middle of it. We have to come together as one, and you republicans need to get over the election Obama won and thank god he did, but regardless of what you think about him or his cabinet we have to back him and help him as a country to get back on track to where we need to be as a country. We need to stop thinking about things as republican controlled or Democratic controlled, and come together and work together as one to rebuild our country because in the end we all share this place and want to live a prosperious life.

December 24, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |