December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. earle,woodstock,vt

Mr. Robertson is the devil in disguise,he pledges alliegence to whom- ever is in power. His ministry is a sham ,and should be investigated! Why? This guy is to political ,and has gotten filthy rich off his send money,but credits cards are better "pay-for-sermon" shister fork-tongue venemous snake! Just another Berny Madoff in sheeps clothing. His kid is no better, and probably buying some more "Arabian Through-bred Horses at this very moment in Saudi Arabia,...for his "Racing Stables"!

December 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. john sanchez

i think pat robertson is too generous to bush, i'd give bush a big faf...f for failure, ten times over!!!!

December 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. conservative

Pat never did have good sense !

December 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  4. Cori from Colorado

I think it's about time his own party admitted they weren't happy with the last 8 years. I'm just happy to see the end of the Bush era, it's the best Christmas gift ever!

Oh boy will the new year be awesome, I can't wait for Jan 20th.

Obama/Biden

December 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  5. Texas Teacher

welcome to the Obama show:

Ignorance is bliss.... or so I have heard! I think your kind of ignorance is just plain stupidity... sorry.... if the truth hurts, let it hurt! (As my old daddy used to say.)

December 24, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. Mr. Lugo

Wow, what a slap to the face of Conservatives. Up next is George Bush senior to endorse and commend Obama LMAO

December 24, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  7. Bernhard Kuhn

Same grades he got at Yale. What do you expect?

December 24, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  8. John

all repugs should be rounded up and sent to worker prison camp. then all would be right with the world.

December 24, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  9. MiMi

Pat Robertson, who declared for months that a vote for Obama would be a vote against God, all of a sudden woke up and realized he's slipping closer and closer to irrelevancy. Robertson is the cultural equivalent of a Nazi.

December 24, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. FreeNLovIt

To Brian

The 700 billion bailout went first to the banks. They took the money and hid it in the vaults. They didnt even do anything with it until people started SCREAMING at them.

December 24, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  11. Wait-A-Minute

Wait a minute, Obama is still on his honeymoon, we will see how the first-term senator, with a mystery past and no experience, handles his own Katrina, Nine-eleven and Cuba crisis. Human nature is not perfect, ever since Adam and Eve, and those who work for him are even worse. After all, can we trust any Democrat or politician or lawyer from Chicago, Illinois? Is he a smoker, addicted to nicotine, an abortionist, a liberal and a socialist??

December 24, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  12. Ken

This guy is an idiot!!!! Obama hasn't gone in and done anything yet plus we can not say what he is going to do will even work. What we are seeing is failed Congress not Busch and Failed CEO's that cover thier butts, like Congress. What we are looking at is failed Goverment Housing that should have never been. Loans given to people who should have never had them.

December 24, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. Philadelphian trapped in Texas

To Jeffrey E. Salzberg (am I allowed two posts to the same thread?):

I consider myself a knowledgeable student of political history, and I'm well aware of the failings of Grant, Harding, Nixon and (in my opinion, Reagan), not to mention Millard Fillmore and Franklin Pierce. But in the final analysis (and I agree, history may alter this viewpoint), Geroge W Bush is INDEED the VERY WORST. He entered the office with limited political credentials (governor of a weak-governor state, elected with absolutely no background). He then took the country in the wrong direction, getting us into an avoidable war on false pretenses and then mishandling it, failing to deal appropriately with a natural disaster against which he had access to adequate technology and funding, championing his personal religious and moral views, cynically presenting himself as a uniter while pressing unilateral positions, and being outflanked and abdicating command to a manipulative Vice President and his own hand-chosen political strategist. Some of the others you have named may have been either more self-serving or more malevolent, but none were both of those as much as George W. Bush.

December 24, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  14. Anna

These rethugs are politically blind, they dont want to see what actually out there but want to live in their imagination world that bush and cheney are angles. Wait a min, I am not supporting dems here, I will wait until Obama 8 year term completes and then comment. I do think Bush is stupid and cheney is criminal, I can see that in his face.

December 24, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. James, Ho. TX

Pat Robertson, every one has to bury their own dead !

December 24, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  16. B.O by any other name is still b.o.

I am amazed at the stupidity of the comments comming from people on this blog.
    Talking about impeaching Bush, trying him for crimes, etc.
    I can see blaming him for the Iraq war, (hell more than half the democrats voted for the war and not one dimocrat blames them), but the banking crisis is Clinton and the dimocrats, this deficit we're building is firmly supported by Obama, Reid, and Pelosi, (real dimocrats, although the jusry is still out and hopeful for Obama).
    The economy was good during 75% of Bush's term with record growth, job creation, etc. yet the policies of Clinton with the banking industry finally caught up with us. Let's put blame where it belongs for the economy which is right in the dimocrats lap.

December 24, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  17. AB

Yes Bush is going down in history as the WORST PRESIDENT EVER.

December 24, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. RS

Maik F.: Although the phrase "separation of church and state" may not be found directly in the Constitution, that does not mean the ideas it embodies were not behind that part of the First Amendment. I think you'll find that separation of church and state is exactly what the First Amendment was intended to accomplish, and that the courts have consistently ruled that it was, as well. It doesn't matter if you're a progressive or a conservative; the intent of the clause is generally accepted as being precisely the separation of church and state, in all its various forms.

December 24, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. Take a break, Liberals

There is honestly no pleasing some of you Liberal whackadoos! If a Republican actually says something good about Obama, he gets crucified...say something that is true and anti-Obama...you get crucified. What your Democratic flock of sheep needs to do is figure out how to control/eliminate your hate. America does have some issues...and like it or not, Bush is not to blame for everything you continually scream about. The Democrats have plenty of housekeeping to do in their own party. Robertson is a disgrace in my eyes for not holding strong to his own Christian standards that he preaches...Republican or Democrat is secondary (or lower). And for those who like to attempt to bash Christians, please point to one philosophy or preaching of Christ that is not based on love, truth, and faith in God. Merry Christmas.

December 24, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  20. Brian

Pat Robertson is an irrelevant treasonous fool. President Bush is the greatest presnident despite the fact that the Democrats have held power in the Congress.
    President Bush didn't cuase Katrina, the Democrats did.
    President Bush didn't cause the financial crisis, the Democrats did.
    Nancy Polosi and Harry Reid are the real moves and shakers in the government and they have hobbled the Republicans from allowing the free market to right itself.

December 24, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. Marty

We will see how the new administration really is when the terrorists come back to the U.S., this time with a dirty nuclear bomb in the heart of our country. Then we can see how the new administration holds up to that conflict and also more and stronger natural disasters, then we can judge them and how they respond.

December 24, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. Raybear

Why is it that many individuals believe President Bush has no standing in history? Time will reveal President Bush's true worth to this country even in retrospect. Merry Christmas President Bush and thanky you for the wonderful journey.

December 24, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Butch Dillon

I thought Robertson was dead. Too bad, this means we'll see his comments in print for a while longer and they will be as useless all others he's transmitted.

December 24, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. Ex-Republican since Election 2008

Come on folks, give the guy a break. He is saying something that took guts and courage to say-for a Republican..so I will give him props for that. I don't expect people to change overnight. We will certainly not agree with him or other religious intolerant folks but his statements are a start in the right direction.
    Anyways, there is no where else to look but UP. I guess Repubs are getting the message. (crossing fingers)
    They might as well be a part of the change or stand on the side and bicker, hate, spit venom, point fingers, be hyprocites, criticise, be judgemental–oh my, I just described the entire set of Repubicans.

December 24, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  25. Scott

Let's not forget that Bush poll ratings have always been higher than our do nothing democratic controlled senate and congress.

December 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |