December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Allen, Texas

L.B.J. was much worse. He took away hope in the black family and make black women and children wards of the state. He ordered over 40,000 men and women to their deaths in Viet Nam. He was crooked as a snake...see Duval County. Nixon was bad as well. Jimmy Carter wrecked the economy, who remembers 13.5% mortage rates, Iran hostage mess and stagflation.

I'm not happy with Bush, but the worse?...that's is debatable..unless you are under 35 and have lived under nothing but the Reagan boom. What do you expect ...

December 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. Anna, ATL

I guess Christmastime is as good a time as any for a MIRACLE!
    Pat Robertson praising the dem pres elect?????????

WOW!

maybe senility has him forgetting his time-honored values.

December 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. James

C- is a generous grade for BUSH in my humble opinion....

December 24, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. Bless his heart

Tis the season to criticize...

December 24, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. Jack

Pat how about instead of giving President Bush a C- join me and the rest of thinking America and giving the President a half "A".

December 24, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. FreeNLovIt

And yes, Obama is not the SAVIOUR. Right now, we need someone who is willing to think, to act, to be proactive, to do something, to move, to try, to pick himself up.... and HE's IT.

December 24, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. Tim

Oh Geeze......give it a rest. Another sore loser republican ranting in capital letters again. At least Robertson is man enough to admit that even though he is a republican, his president hasn't been doing a very good job. So many Obama haters out there and the man didn't even take office yet. I hope the secret service reads this crap. I have a bad feeling that they have quite a job ahead of them. So many looneys and racists out there just watching O's every move and every word. I feel bad for the guy. Can you people just take your bitterness and move to another country for the next four years. We really don't need your negativity at this time in our nation's history. Please just shut up and go away....Thanks in advance.

December 24, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. tim

Robertson is one of the most terrible TV preachers ever... he sits on a golden throne like every other TV preacher, criticizing others and begging for money. Then, they turn around and buy glamorous backdrops with giant golden seats.

I don't trust anyone like this. Go away, Robertson.

December 24, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. FreeNLovIt

We need someone who is willing to use his God-Given BRAIN to THINK with GUTS and do something. If your car is stuck in the snow, you have to try to push it out, go back and go forward, ask your neighbor to help out and then call the BIG TRUCK. Do something is the code!!!

December 24, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. JonPeter Hartford, CT

"It's pretty bad when Pat Robertson praises the opposition. Next he'll be supporting gays, abortion and who knows what else."

Isn't Christmas a time for miracles..?

Apparently Pat Robertson's brain finally woke up and he's rediscovering what it means to be a tolerant Christian and work for the common good.

Let's hope the same happens among all the mean spiritied religious right wingers who have no idea what Christianity really means. Miracles do happen.

Peace...

December 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  11. reginald smith fairfax va

OBAMA i know u want to bring the country together but dont trust this man . he claims god talkes to him .!!!!!!!!

December 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. I am a foreign born america citizen

To the ignorant brainless ignorant the blame the foreign people. People like you are the problem with the country. Most foreigners do not take hand outs, they come to this country because this country has offered opportunity to prosper through HARD WORK. YOU IDIOT!!!

December 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. jose mendosa, Philly

Richard Rohde: calling Obama "Hussien Obama" doesn't take from the fact that he won the election. What did you hope to achieve by doing that? You call yourself Richard Rohde; did you choose this name or your parents gave it to you? Have you forgotten that Obama's mother was WHITE and yet she allowed herself to be laid by a BLACK man? Mean-spirited people like you don't have any place in this country anymore.

December 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Bruce Parsons

I am a born-again, evangelical Christian who did not vote for Obama, but I also am impressed with him so far. He has my prayers and support.

However, on the other hand, Pat Robertson has been a joke for at least two decades. He is such a non-person that it's pitiful, and I wish you guys would quit giving him the press he so fervently desires.

Make him the non-issue he deserves to be. Who really cares what he thinks of Bush or of Obama? My Christianity has everything to do with the Jesus Christ of the Bible and absolutely nothing to do with Pat Robertson of TV. He means nothing. He's a loud wind bag.

December 24, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. Colorado Sherrie

Only one good thing came out of the Bush Administration: The extension of Daylight Savings Time.

I welcome the refreshing change that Obama will bring........

December 24, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  16. Walt

Bush is the worst President in history. He started a war that was not called for and 700,000 Iraqi civilians have died. 700,000 men, women and children that would be alive today, and 4,500 American soldiers. How could anyone live with themselves with this knowledge, he is not human. Other Presidents have presided in wars that were unavoidable and even they were troubled by the deaths that couldn't be prevented. This guy isn't bothered at all, he doesn't even think it's his fault! For any preisident to be considered worse, he would have to be responsible for 800,000 senseless deaths.

December 24, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  17. Larry from RI

Pat Robertson and others like him are prime examples of why our founders held dear the separation of Church and State.
    If ANY religious group that wants to play in the politic sandbox of our SECULAR nation then they can simply give up their tax exempt status, be subject to all the rules and government regulations that all corporations must abide by.
    This includes ALL religions, not just the Christians who somehow feel they should be treated differently than all other religions practiced here in the US – they simply can't have it both ways and NEVER will!

December 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  18. Rick in WA

Texas Teacher – You are an absolute moron. How in the world did you ever get a teaching certificate? Wait, never mind–NEA.

December 24, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  19. Jeff

Not in a "professional manner", Pat?
    How about a CRIMINAL matter.
    Too little too late.

December 24, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. Ry

Robertson is such a slime ball.

This is nothing more than trying to back pedal.

I can't believe people still follow this stereotype of a televangelist.

December 24, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. are you serious?

"Welcome to the Obama show" is a terrible human being. How dare you call the unemployed "lazy." Go back to the 1980s when this kind of ignorance was tolerated.

December 24, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  22. Big D

I used to support the religious right. No more. I voted for Obama, and I hope he can bring us together. We are far too divided, and for no good reason.

December 24, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. a p

chip lusko: how do you know God is not happy ?

Did he/she call you ?
    Did you get an email ?
    Did God text you maybe on your blackberry ?
    Did you have a vision ?
    Did you hear a whisper in your ear when no one was there ?
    Was the message on a potato chip ?

Thanks for sharing God's mood with the rest of us.
    Idiot.

December 24, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. norman reece

pat needs to be put in adark room way back in the dungeonand never heard from ever again

December 24, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. 228rory

RE: WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading your post, I know what you want from Santa for Christmas... a G.E.D. Well I hope you have been good and Santa brings you what you want, but if I were Santa Claus I would want you to sound a little less douchey before I gave you a G.E.D. for Christmas.

December 24, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |