December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. reallylivin

robertson, you may as well forget trying to rid yourself of that republican stink and dumb look, it's natural. go confess your sins and ignorance to the church pastor and ask for forgiveness.

December 24, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  2. Bill

pat robertson and his ilk are most of the reason we're in this fiasco. I will believe in god, the day he dies. If I go to Hell for this statement, so be it, cause he'll be right there with me. Because it wouldn't be Hell without him.

December 24, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  3. Ryan in Omaha

C- always worked for W in college.

December 24, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. Linda

First Newt then Pat.
    I am a Republican whose family voted for Obama.
    Way t0 go PE. With all the new revelations about and from Palin and the Joe the Plumber we got it right this time.
    Merry Christmas.

December 24, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. Independent Dave, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

During the election the Evangelical\Fundamentalist leaders claimed Obama was a Muslim, funded by terroists, the anti-crist and foreign born! And now the likes of Robertson are giving him praise?

December 24, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. TarriON

OK. Bush is not to blame for everything that's gone wrong. The Iraq War, mishandling the problems of Katrina, 9/11, torture, financial crisis. Nope, not all his fault. Robertson, Limbaugh, Falwell ... Cheney, Rove, Libby ... Enron, AIG, Lehman Bros., ... Gramm, Foley, Newt .... It took a lot of people actively supporting him for things to get this screwed up. And that includes every single person that voted for him.

I particularly look to you 28-32% who still think he and the current administration are doing a good job. If you get to have grandchildren and if they are lucky enough to survive the effects of global warming, they will never forgive you ... not any of us.

December 24, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. ken bigwood

robertson must walk in bush's shoes before he gets critical. US is also conrolled by a democratic congress which has fought bush every step of the way.

December 24, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  8. dave

Hey Roger,you can't find one thing right in the Bush administration,how about keeping all of us safe from terrorism,even uneducated, biased loudmouths like you. Dave

December 24, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Robertson

Let's just see how Obama does in the next few years. Remember the Clinton administration started this economic mess when they forced banks to give out high risk loans to people who are not qualified for a loan and along with Clinton blame Barney Franks and Dobbs who took money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and never looked back. Many people should be blamed for the weak economy and it's not just the President. Rats jump ship when it's going down.

December 24, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  10. Tracy, Chicago, IL

Pat Robertson was the first “reverend” who said the we deserved 911 but he blamed the gays and feminists, there were some complaints from the left but the right-wing complained that the liberals were blowing it out of proportion, funny how things changed when a black minister (Rev Wright) says comments about 911, you would have thought he was the pilot of one of the planes that hit the World Trade center. Not one comment about what this idiot said but any mention of Rev Wright would generate hundreds of comments from the left & right with false outrage. God Bless America

December 24, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. Ken in NC

@ WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really got a serious problem. Why don't you channel some of that energy towards working to correct the bad situation we are in now in this country. Now is not the time to be laying blame but rather coming together as a nation and working to make our country a better place to live again.

Try it. You might like it.

December 24, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Bob

Robertson is homophobic and a spreader of hate. But even Hitler was right once in a while.

December 24, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. Joe Fattal

Pat Robertson ought to be in the business of saving souls. And that goes to any Preacher. And, leave politics to the politicians.

December 24, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. Georgia Peach

I just got done reading all the posts here and amazed at the hate from either side. Our Pres. elect is trying to bring a dialog together with all Americans and all I see here is people throwing stones at each other. I am a Christan who was a Republican for years and I voted for Obama for he was the best men out there and he is a Christian too.
    I finally see Martin Luther Kings dream coming slowly into fruition in a country which has been a country so long divided by racial hate. Maybe for once you all can participate in bringing this dream into reality for it is also what the God I serve wants to bring forth. I am asking you to all look at yourself this season and give someone a break or a chance as we all gave Pres. elect Obama in spite of Sarah Palins ravings. You state all Republicans are hateful, I am not, but I switched to Independent. You speak tolerance but you will not give this man the right of his opinion without throwing eggs. A lot of us Christian Republicans voted for Pres. Obama since we thought he was the better man and his intelligence, integrity and fairness to all were some of the attributes who made that decision easy. But what I read here I think some of his followers need some lessons from Pres. elect Obama a lesson of tolerance and listening to all opinions without destroying the other person. I was not on board right away with Obama but always defended him against all the slander coming out the same as I would defend Mr. Robertson against hateful rhetoric. Hate does not build bridges but Love conquers all. You all have a Merry Christmas and even that might offend some of you, but I meant it well and that is what should really matter. Take your stones and put them to rest. And by the way why all the capital shouting. "Welcome to the Obama show" I once was a foreigner who came to this country, proud to be a citizen now and worked all my life and now unemployed due to being job stalked by criminals who were tied to a Republican congressman, but you would never understand that. I would love to work, but since someone hacked my computer Mr. Feeney's boys come visiting before every interview. I lived in FL and now GA and certainly saw law enforcement looking the other way and governors who pride themselves being all Republican run states, certainly saw nothing but corruption first hand. I am not lazy and would love to work. I should say shove your hate, but than that would bring me down to your level and I would not want to go there ever.

December 24, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  15. Bush Born Democrat

My family comes from a long history of republican voting and I have to say this guy, if he does a good Job could be good for our nation, that said as of this election, we did not vote republican due to the disgraceful nature the party has shown over the last 8 years. Until Obama makes a huge mistake as an American, I will support him, He will be our President and in the days since his election has already done more for our economy (stock market numbers), simply by speaking to the people, than W has in the last 4 years. Let Pat say what he wants in this case I happen to agree. If Obama is successful so then is our country. ....think about it !

December 24, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. janet , ohio

Pat, are you mad that you weren't asked to swear him in? As a Christian man, are you really pleased with this pro-abortion, pro- infanticide, socialist, smiling tool of the devil? Is there anyone who is willing to stand up for the truth anymore? Thank God for James Dobson. None of the rest of you deserve any respect anymore.

December 24, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  17. James

YAHUSHUA-remember that name!

December 24, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  18. Joseph Franklin

Get it done Obama!

December 24, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. RF-NJ

I actually agree with something that Pat Robertson said..........has hell frozen over?

December 24, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. Barry, Alaska

Pat Robertson likes Obama ??!! Hey Barack be afraid be Very Afraid

December 24, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Rob

All of those people who voted for Bush TWICE, like Pat Robertson and his right-wing religious nutjob followers, share the blame for what has happened to our country.

For him – or them – to start pointing fingers is just a reprehensible attempt to avoid responsibility. They need to look in the mirror and admit what they have done to our once-great country.

December 24, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  22. Mike

Pat Robertson: The poster child of the gutless arm-chair quarterback.

December 24, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  23. Charlie

To Brian, in what world are you living? Keep making yourself believe that the democrats are responsible for the mortgage crisis. Remember, anytime they tried to introduce legislation, Pres. Bush vetoed just about all. He never vetoed anything in his first 6 years in office. So explain exactly which legislation the democrats introduce, that affected the ECONOMY directly. Obama is going to inherit a broken home, so obviously it will take time for him to fix the damage the Republicans inflicted on the country and the world.

December 24, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  24. keeth in california

So where was Robertson when all these things were happening that he thinks are mistakes? Where was his voice then? Sorry, Pat, while I agree with the substance of your remarks, you're far too little and far too late.

December 24, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  25. Chris Independent

Intolerance is just an excuse for one's ignorance.

December 24, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |