December 24th, 2008

Pat Robertson criticizes Bush, praises Obama

Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.
Robertson gave Bush low marks Tuesday.

(CNN) – Pat Robertson is "remarkably pleased" with President-elect Barack Obama, the conservative leader told CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux – and believes President Bush’s administration has not dealt with the nation’s economic crisis in a “professional manner.”

“Well, it's hard to assess blame, but I, over the years - I hate to be critical, I mean I am a Republican, and this is the president of the party that I'm a member of - but I think we've had some serious goofs along the way,” he said on the Situation Room Tuesday.

“The Katrina matter was terrible. The rebuilding of Iraq has been terrible. The [handling] of the economy right now has been terrible. It hasn't been handled in what I would consider a professional manner.”

Robertson said history may be kinder to Bush than current opinion. “But I believe I would look at about a C-minus right now if I were grading him,” he said.

The evangelical leader has been a supporter of Bush's presidential campaigns.

Robertson said Tuesday he was optimistic about the incoming Obama administration. “I am remarkably pleased with Obama,” he told Malveaux. “I had grave misgivings about him. But so help me, he's come in forcefully, intelligently. He's picked a middle of the road cabinet. And so far, if he continues down this course, he has the makings of a great president. So, I'm very pleased so far.”

Filed under: Pat Robertson • Popular Posts
  1. Jay B.

Like a broken clock... happens to tell the right time twice a day.

December 24, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  2. Mwita (Los Angeles, CA)

News Headline: "Pastor tells the Truth."

December 24, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. brian

Well Obama show,
    it's called grammer.

December 24, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. jack

Pat, you are an idiot and nobody cares about you. Shut up

December 24, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. rubin

Honestly...enough already!!! I find mixing religion and politics sacreligious. To further one's agenda by saying it's God's will is awful. That said, I commend Mr. Robertson, as I do Mr. Gingrich and Mr Powell, all conservative republican's. But more that that, they are displaying themselves as true Americans, who in these times of crisis are putting aside their opinions and prejudices to rally around our dully elected leaders in support of our GREAT nation. Divisiveness and intolerance will never cure what ails us nor is it what our Lord's teachings were all about. Face it folks THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE A RECOUNT!!! Mr. Obama WILL be our next president. Instead of criticizing and fighting him at every turn, join the effort to raise America back to the status it once held and the model of democracy aspired to by others. God bless America and may God bless each and every one of us.

December 24, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. Marty from Grand Rapids, Mi

Why is anything Robertson says considered news? He is a bigot that steals money from the ignorant. Everyone knows Bush is a bad president (time will tell how bad), he is just now figuring this out 8 years later? Jeffrey, I disagree, I think it can be easily said that Bush is worse then Nixon. Nixon helped start the EPA and cooled relations with China. Bush hasn't done anything.

December 24, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  7. Bill

Bush and all of his partners in crime deserve the electric chair for this calamity they have put the world in.

December 24, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. Ann Marie Curling

And this is news??? Who gives a crap what Pat Robertson thinks, he's just another far right wing nut job blabbing out of his mouth once again. I doubt that it's good news for Obama to have Robertson on his side. Sheeesh, why do people pay attention to these crazies?

December 24, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  9. Right Wingnuts?

Well, to paraphrase Tina Fey paraphrasing Sarah Palin, I guess Pat Robertson is now part of the Anti-America America. He had a choice: could've been pro-America or Anti-America.

December 24, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  10. Vence wilmington CA

This is turning into a ephidemic!
    Honestly it's sad to see how republicans now are denouncing the mostruosities they created!
    Remember General Powell?
    They made me remember NAZI germany
    Republicans of course, always a little too late.

December 24, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  11. Denis

I think we are in trouble when Pat Roberson praises Obama. Is this all a part of that global warming thing?

December 24, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. Mark L

One thing Bush gave us is plenty of quotes from which comedians to stay gainfully employed. You can't fault him for that other than to say his command of the English language wasn't the best among U.S. presidents.

December 24, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  13. Rick

Mr. Robinson and the nonsense he presents as religion is a waste of time.

December 24, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  14. barbara

Bush had a whole lot to deal with. I give him the benefit of the doubt. We had a burgeoning recession, 9/11, Afghanistan, an il-prepared military, Iraq, Katrina, stock market crash. These are extremely complex problems which Mr. Obama will soon find out.

December 24, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  15. Craig Nazor

I have read the bible. I was raised by a Christian family in a Christian church. I was taught that God loves the truth. I was taught that thy shalt not kill. I was taught that torture was an ABOMINATION. I was taught that the earth was a GIFT FROM GOD, and that humans had a responsibility to take care of it. I was taught that greed and covetting material things was not how we should be spending most of our time. I was taught that it was better to give than to receive. I was taught do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I was taught to help those with less than I.

Pat Robertson, if you can look at the Bush Administration and give it anything less than an F- from a Christian point of view, then was I taught a pack of lies?

I don't think so. Think about it.

All, Peace on Earth, Good Will to ALL of God's creation, and have a very wonderful Christmas!

December 24, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  16. Mario Martinez

Why PAt Robertson still relevant?

December 24, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  17. M

I'm not sure about that C-. History will probably consider Bush to be America's Nero.

December 24, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  18. KJL

Oh, gawd. The kiss of death........

December 24, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  19. Jasmin

bush pro drug dealer reward criminal and love illegal either obama too , he is already lie even before in office yet,bring 200 mills illegal and be new democrats

December 24, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  20. barbara

Actually Pat Robertson does a better job reporting news on his network than most cable stations. His network newscasters are 10 times more professional than CNN

December 24, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. Paul J

WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

First anyone who types an entire comment in caps is someone who has nothing meaningful to say. Lets see, foreigners and other lazy people standing in line for free handouts? I thought the foreigners were taking jobs away from Americans? Find a bigoted position and stick with it sir.

Oh, and as much as I hate Pat, he isn't blaming him for everything or he'd not haven give him only a c-. Bush has made a lot of mistakes and everything isn't his fault but as POTUS the buck does stop with him and he needs to own. If he didn't want the responsibility he shouldn't have taken the job.

December 24, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  22. Blake

"C-minus!?!" I think that's being charitable... but then that's what the "right-lovin'" reverend is all about, isn't it?

December 24, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  23. Josh

Rev. Pat, you are as guilty as Bush. You and the Right Wing Nuts in this country made him do what he's done to us in this country and around the world. You only cared that he was against abortion and that he was a self proclaimed born again. You justified the war in Iraq on your show. I, for one, I AM not buying your ...........**. You chose idiology over intectuals like Gore and Kerry. Then you tried to give us Sarah Palin on the same principles but, this time you failed. Changing your tune now will earn you no invitation to W.H. We know that's what you are working on – your relevance has been greatly diminished – you, Rev, no longer matter. I just hope your followers wake up too.
    GO AWAY!!! AND DON'T COME BACK!!!

December 24, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  24. Thomas, Missoula, MT

While he usually spouts religious babble, for once Rev. Robertson makes sense. I take offense at comments such as those made by – WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!! – . I work in a mental health clinic with many people who live below the poverty level. Hearing people go on about lazy folks who don't want to work/just want to get free hand outs, etc. incenses me. The folks with whom I work would love to have a job, to make their own way – to have their pride and dignity. People who go on about the "free money" that President Elect Obama will be handing out are really broadcasting their ignorance of how entitlement programs work. Usually I also hear them going on about what great Christians they are too... One day they may find themselves standing in line only to discover that their attitudes and behavior has bought them a ticket to the hot place down below!

December 24, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. frank shadow

The totality of leadership deceits and mistakes weighs this administration down like no other in recent memory. Nixon's 'Dirty Tricks' were minor criminal bung-lings compared to what W. and his trusted minions have foisted upon the citizens of this country.
    Recovery will be a long time coming, and we must cope with the scars from this unnecessary war and economic melt-down.
    The President Elect has virtually appeared out of nowhere and seems to be the man to lead us out of the wilderness. It almost has biblical interpretations, if one is so inclined.

December 24, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |